- •Cycling-related fracture hospitalisations have increased, with off-road cycling admissions nearly doubling between 2013 and 2019.
- •On- and off-road cycling fracture profiles are similar except for wrist fractures which are more common off-road.
- •Almost one-fifth of all BMX-related fractures were skull fractures.
- •Following the one-metre rule introduction, road cycling admissions involving skull, hip, pelvis, or femoral shaft fracture fell; however, this decrease has not persisted.
- Munro C.
- Kreisfeld R
- Harrison JE.
- Sikic M
- Mikocka-Walus AA
- Gabbe BJ
- McDermott FT
- Cameron PA.
- Beck B
- Cameron PA
- Fitzgerald MC
- Judson RT
- Teague W
- Lyons RA
- Gabbe BJ.
- Andrew NE
- Gabbe BJ
- Wolfe R
- Cameron PA.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
- National cycling participation survey.Austroads Ltd., Sydney2019 Sept 19 (AP-C91-19)
- Pedal cyclists deaths and hospitalisations, 1990-00 to 2015-16.Australian Institute of Health and Wealthfare, Canberra2019 (Injury research and statistics; no. 123). Cat no. INJCAT 203https://www.aihw.gov.au/getmedia/fbff1344-6b3f-4b2a-8649-fb879dcd69ab/aihw-injcat-203.pdf.aspx?inline=true
- Bicycling injuries and mortality in Victoria, 2001-2006.Med J Aust. 2009; 190: 353-356https://doi.org/10.5694/j.1326-5377.2009.tb02446.x
- Road safety: serious injuries remain a major unsolved problem.Med J Aust. 2017 Sep 18; 207: 244-249https://doi.org/10.5694/mja17.00015
- Trends in sport and active recreation injuries resulting in major trauma or death in adults in Victoria, Australia, 2001-2007.Injury. 2012; 43: 1527-1533https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2011.01.031
Pedal Power ACT. 2020-2021 ACT budget submission [Internet]. Canberra: Pedal Power ACT; 2019 Oct 30 [cited 2020 Oct 10]. 16 p. Available from: https://www.budgetconsultation.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/1440615/222.-Pedal-Power-ACT.pdf.
Transport for NSW. Projects approved for funding 2020/21 walking and cycling program [Internet]. [Nwe South Wales]: NSW Government; 2019 Nov [cited 2021 March 10]. 6 p. Available from: https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/projects/programs/walking-and-cycling-program.
Office for Recreation, Sport, and Racing. Pedalling ahead with record spending on local cycle projects [Internet]. [Adelaide]: Government of South Australia; 2021 Sept 13 [cited 2022 July 19]. Available from: https://www.orsr.sa.gov.au/news/pedalling-ahead-with-record-spending-on-local-cycle-projects.
Bicycling Australia. Adelaide receives $12M boost in cycleway funding and expanded bike share program [Internet]. [place unknown]: Yaffa Media; 2016 28 July [cited 2021 March 10]. Available from: http://www.bicyclingaustralia.com.au/news/adelaide-receives-12m-boost-in-cycleway-funding-and-expanded-bike-share-program.
Department of Transport and Main Roads. Bike riding encouragement program community grants program 2020-21 [Internet]. [Queensland]: Queensland Government; 2021 March 15 [cited 2021 March 20]. Available from: https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Travel-and-transport/Cycling/Cycling-grants/Bike-riding-encouragement-community-grants.
- https://cycle-helmets.com/ncp-2019-act.pdf. [Accessed 10 Oct 2020.].
Justice and Community Safety Directorate. Safer cycling reforms [Internet]. [Canberra]: Australian Capital Territory Government; [cited 2020 October 10]. Available from: https://www.justice.act.gov.au/safer-cycling-reforms.
WestCycle Incorporated. Western Australia mountain bike strategy 2015-2020 [Internet]. [West Leederville, Australia]: WestCycling Incorporated; 2015 [cited 2020 Sept 12]. Available from: https://westcycle.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/WesternAustralianMountainBikeStrategy.pdf.
TRC Tourism Pty Ltd. Canberra mountain bike report draft [Internet]. Canberra: ACT Government; 2019 Dec [cited 2020 Sept 20]. Available from: https://s3.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/hdp.au.prod.app.act-yoursay.files/7015/8310/6760/Draft_Canberra_Mountain_Bike_Report_December_2019.pdf.
Australian Bicycle Council. National cycling strategy: Implementation report 2016 [Internet]. Sydney: Austroads Ltd; 2017 Apr 27. 66 p. Report No.: AP-C93-17. Available from: https://austroads.com.au/publications/active-travel/ap-c93-17
Office of ACT Chief Minister. Stromlo Forest Park's newest mountain bike trails are finished [Internet]. Canberra: ACT Government; 2020 Aug 29. [cited 2020 Oct 10]. Available from: https://www.cmtedd.act.gov.au/open_government/inform/act_government_media_releases/barr/2020/stromlo-forest-parks-newest-mountain-bike-trails-are-finished.
Mountain Bike Australia. Annual report [Internet]. Melbourne: AusCycling; 2019 [cited 2020 Sept 20]. 80 p. Available from: https://www.mtba.org.au/wp-content/uploads/MTBA1093-2019-Annual-Report-Design_FinalOnline.pdf.
BMX Australia. Annual report [Internet]. Melbourne: AusCycling; 2019 [cited 2020 Sept 20]. 66 p. Available from: https://assets.auscycling.org.au/s3fs-public/2021-01/bmxa_annualreport_2019.pdf?yhO_nLsn0iiFaqGgtQ6uDP5gL2xxVe4P=.
- Accident rates amongst regular bicycle riders in Tasmania, Australia.Accid Anal Prev. 2014; 72: 376-381https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2014.07.015
- Mountain biking injuries requiring trauma center admission: a 10-year regional trauma system experience.J Trauma. 2006; 60: 312-318https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ta.0000202714.31780.5f
- Differential profile of facial injuries among mountainbikers compared with bicyclists.J Trauma. 1999; 47: 50-54
- Acute injuries from mountain biking.West J Med. 1993; 159: 145-148
- Mountain biking injuries in children and adolescents.Sport Med. 2012; 40: 77-90https://doi.org/10.2165/11319640-000000000-00000
- Severe street and mountain bicycling injuries in adults: a comparison of the incidence, risk factors and injury patterns over 14 years.Can J Surg. 2013; 56: E32-E38https://doi.org/10.1503/cjs.027411
- The epidemiology of cycling fractures in adults.Open Access Emerg Med. 2013; 03https://doi.org/10.4172/2165-7548.1000139
- BMX bicycles - accident comparison with other models.Arch Emerg Med. 1985; 2: 209-213https://doi.org/10.1136/emj.2.4.209
- BMX compared with ordinary bicycle accidents.Arch Dis Child. 1985; 60: 461-464https://doi.org/10.1136/adc.60.5.461
- Bicycling crash characteristics: An in-depth crash investigation study.Accid Anal Prev. 2016; 96: 219-227https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2016.08.012
- Health benefits of cycling: a systematic review.Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2011; 21: 496-509https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2011.01299.x
- Epidemiology of cycling for exercise, recreation or sport in Australia and its contribution to health-enhancing physical activity.J Sci Med Sport. 2014; 17: 485-490https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2013.09.008
- Investigating the costs of major and minor cycling crashes in Tasmania.Australia. Aust N Z J Public Health. 2015; 39: 485-490https://doi.org/10.1111/1753-6405.12384
- National, state and territory population [Internet].Australian Bureau of Statistics, Canberra2020 Sept 24 ([cited 2020 Oct 11]. Available from:)https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/Latestproducts/3101.0Main%20Features3Dec%202019?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=3101.0&issue=Dec%202019&num=&view=
- R: A language and environment for statistical computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2020
Villarrean MR. Human skeleton front - no labels. [public domain]: Wikimedia Commons; Nov 23. [cited 2021 March 10]. Available from: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Human_skeleton_front_-_no_labels.svg. Diagram of a human female skeleton.
Lenth RV. emmeans: Estimated marginal means, aka least-squares means. 2021 [cited 2021 Apr 10]. In: R package version 1.5.4 [Internet]. Available from: https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=emmeans
Australian Federal Police. Cyclists: Share the road [Internet]. Canberra: Australian Federal Police; 2016 [cited 2020 Oct 10]. Available from: https://www.police.act.gov.au/road-safety/share-road/cyclists.
- Bicycle crashes and sickness absence - a population-based Swedish register study of all individuals of working ages.BMC Public Health. 2019 Jul 15; 19: 943https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-019-7284-1
- Mountain biking injuries: an update.Sports Med. 2002; 32: 523-537https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200232080-00004
- Mountain biking injuries: a review.Br Med Bull. 2008; 85: 101-112https://doi.org/10.1093/bmb/ldn009
- Mountain biking injuries in rural England.Br J Sports Med. 2001; 35: 197-199https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.35.3.197
Adam LZ. How to tailwhip BMX [Online video]. YouTube; 2013 Apr 12. [cited 2020 Oct 10]. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHrgCaaQjfM.
Ride BMX. Fat-Tony-Skull-Fracture [Online video]. YouTube; 2010 Jul 13. [cited 2020 Oct 10]. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HbeqUuGh3g.
- Mapping fractures from traffic accidents in Sweden: How do cyclists compare to other road users?.Traffic Inj Prev. 2020; 21: 209-214https://doi.org/10.1080/15389588.2020.1724979
- Injuries to children riding BMX bikes.Br Med J. 1984; 289: 956-957https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.289.6450.956
- Injuries related to bicycle accidents: an epidemiological study in The Netherlands.Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2020; 46: 413-418https://doi.org/10.1007/s00068-018-1033-5
van Vuuren K, O'Keeffe S, Jones DN. "Vicious, aggressive bird stalks cyclist": the Australian magpie (cracticus tibicen) in the news. Animals (Basel) 2016 Apr 26;6(5):29. doi:10.3390/ani6050029">10.3390/ani6050029.
- https://www.justice.act.gov.au/sites/default/files/2019-09/Evaluation_of_the_ACT_Government%E2%80%99s_Safer_Cycling_Reforms.pdf. [Accessed 12 Oct 2020.].