- •Motor vehicle collisions were the primary cause of orthopedic injuries in patients presenting to Tikur Anbessa Specialized Hospital in Ethiopia from 2018 to 2021.
- •The primary mechanism of injury for patients presenting from the capital city was falls instead of motor vehicle accidents.
- •Pelvic and hip trauma injuries accounted for 29% of cases.
- •26% of patients had open fractures and 26% had multiple injuries.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
WHO | The burden of road traffic crashes, injuries and deaths in Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysis [Internet]. WHO. World Health Organization; [cited 2021 Apr 29]. Available from: http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/94/7/15-163121/en/
World Health Organization. Global status report on road safety 2018 [Internet]. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2018 [cited 2021 Mar 19]. Available from:
Violence, injuries and disability biennial report, 2006-2007 [Internet]. [cited 2022 Mar 16]. Available from: https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/43955
- Trauma registry in Tikur Anbessa Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.Ethiop Med J. Jul 2003; 41: 221-226
- Orthopedic and Major Limb Trauma at the Tikur Anbessa University Hospital, Addis Ababa - Ethiopia.East Central Afr J Surg. 2005; 10: 43-50
- Trauma in Ethiopia Revisited.Syst Rev. Jul 1 2013; 18
Velpula S., Gummadi L.P., Vallepu N., Dasari B.K., Anchuri SS. Epidemiology of orthopedic trauma admissions in a multispecialty hospital in Warangal-A retrospective study. fmcp [Internet]. 2019 [cited 2020 Aug 7];16(6). Available from: https://www.openaccessjournals.com/articles/epidemiology-of-orthopedic-trauma-admissions-in-a-multispecialty-hospital-in-warangala-retrospective-study-13119.html.
- Survey of 2582 Cases of Acute Orthopedic Trauma.Trauma Mon. Nov 2014; 19 ([Internet] [cited 2021 Apr 29]Available from)
- Addressing the growing burden of trauma and injury in low- and middle-income countries.Am J Public Health. Jan 2005; 95: 13-17
United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division. World population prospects Highlights, 2019 revision Highlights, 2019 revision. 2019.
- A descriptive study of trauma cases encountered in the Grand M'Bour Hospital Emergency Department in Senegal.Pan Afr Med J. 2019; 32 ([Internet][cited 2021 Apr 13]Available from)
- Epidemiology of fractures and their treatment in Malawi: Results of a multicentre prospective registry study to guide orthopaedic care planning.PLoS One. 2021; 16e0255052
- Delays in hospital admissions in patients with fractures across 18 low-income and middle-income countries (INORMUS): a prospective observational study.Lancet Glob Health. May 2020; 8 (–20): e711