- •Economic studies are used to measure the cost and effectiveness of an intervention and can help determine how healthcare resources are distributed.
- •Most economic studies in healthcare are cost-benefit analyses, cost-effectiveness analyses, or cost-utility analyses.
- •The perspective from which an economic study is evaluated (the patient, the provider, the payor, or the society) should be carefully considered.
- •An understanding of economic evaluations in healthcare is important to critically review the available literature.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cost-effectiveness analysis and incremental cost-effectiveness ratios: uses and pitfalls.Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2004; 16: 519-526https://doi.org/10.1097/01.meg.0000108343.41221.45
- Cost-effectiveness analyses in orthopaedic surgery raising the bar.J Bone Jt Surg Am. 2017; 99: e71https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.17.00509
- Value for money: an evaluation of health spending in Canada.Int J Heal Econ Manag. 2017; 17: 289-310https://doi.org/10.1007/s10754-016-9204-6
- Spending more money, saving more lives? The relationship between avoidable mortality and healthcare spending in 14 countries.Eur J Heal Econ. 2013; 14: 527-538https://doi.org/10.1007/s10198-012-0398-3
- Consolidated health economic evaluation reporting standards (CHEERS) statement.BMJ. 2013; 346https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.f1049
- Cost-utility analyses in orthopaedic surgery.J Bone Jt Surg. 2005; 87A: 1253-1259
- Total hip arthroplasty or hemiarthroplasty for hip fracture.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 2199-2208https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1906190
- Is total hip arthroplasty a cost-effective option for management of displaced femoral neck fractures? A trial-based analysis of the health study.J Orthop Trauma. 2020; 34: S37-S41https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0000000000001932
- Can robot-assisted total knee arthroplasty be a cost-effective procedure? A Markov decision analysis.Knee. 2021; 29: 345-352https://doi.org/10.1016/j.knee.2021.02.004
- Economic evaluation of robot-assisted radical prostatectomy compared to open radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer treatment in Ontario, Canada.Can Urol Assoc J. 2020; 14https://doi.org/10.5489/CUAJ.6376
- Economic evaluation enhances public health decision making.Front Public Health. 2015; 3https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2015.00164
- Approaches for economic evaluations of health care technologies.J Am Coll Radiol. 2009; 6: 307-316https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2009.01.011
- On the estimation of the cost-effectiveness threshold: why, what, how?.Value Health. 2016; 19: 558-566https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jval.2016.02.020
- Generating, Presenting, and interpreting cost-effectiveness results in the context of uncertainty: a tutorial for deeper knowledge and better practice.Med Decis Mak. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1177/0272989X211045070
- Cost benefit analysis of topical tranexamic acid in primary total hip and knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplast. 2014; 29: 1512-1515https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2014.01.031
- Osteoporosis case manager for patients with hip fractures results of a cost-effectiveness analysis conducted alongside a randomized trial.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 25-31
- How does cost-effectiveness analysis inform health care decisions?.AMA J Ethics. 2021; 23: 639-647
- Estimating mean QALYs in trial-based cost-effectiveness analysis: the importance of controlling for baseline utility.Health Econ. 2005; 14: 487-496https://doi.org/10.1002/hec.944
- An economic evaluation of operative compared with nonoperative management of displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures.J Bone Jt Surg. 2005; 87A: 2741-2749
- Cost-effectiveness analysis in a setting of budget constraints - is it equitable?334. Massachusetts Medical Society, 1996
- We shouldn't count chickens before they hatch: results-based financing and the challenges of cost-effectiveness analysis.Crit Public Health. 2021; 31: 370-375https://doi.org/10.1080/09581596.2019.1707774
- Decision makers’ views on health care objectives and budget constraints: results from a pilot study.Health Policy. 2004; 70 (New York): 33-48https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthpol.2004.01.009
- A Cost Analysis of Internal Fixation Versus Nonoperative Treatment in Adult Midshaft Clavicle Fractures Using Multiple Randomized Controlled Trials.J Orthop Trauma. 2015; 29: 173-180
- Clinical and financial comparison of operative and nonoperative treatment of displaced clavicle fractures.J Shoulder Elb Surg. 2013; 22: 608-611https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2012.06.006
- Is surgical fixation for stress-positive unstable ankle fractures cost effective? Results of a multicenter randomized control trial.J Orthop Trauma. 2012; 26: 652-658
- Evaluation of the national institute for health and care excellence diagnostics assessment program decisions: incremental cost-effectiveness ratio thresholds and decision-modifying factors.Value Health. 2020; 23: 1300-1306https://doi.org/10.1016/j
- Consolidated health economic evaluation reporting standards (CHEERS)-explanation and elaboration: a report of the ISPOR health economic evaluation publication guidelines good reporting practices task force.Value Health. 2013; 16: 231-250https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jval.2013.02.002
- National healthcare economic evaluation guidelines: a cross-country comparison.PharmacoEcon Open. 2021; 5: 349-364https://doi.org/10.1007/s41669-020-00250-7
- How to use a subgroup analysis users’ guides to the medical literature.JAMA J Am Med Assoc. 2014; 311: 405-411https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2013.285063
- Barriers to adoption of novel technology.Foot Ankle Int. 2018; 39: 758
- Redefining the economics of geriatric orthopedics.Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2014; 5: 200-206https://doi.org/10.1177/2151458514543002
- Current status of cost utility analyses in total joint arthroplasty: a systematic review.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2015; 473: 1815-1827https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-014-3964-4
- The direct and indirect costs to society of treatment for end-stage knee osteoarthritis.J Bone Jt Surg Ser A. 2013; 95: 1473-1480https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.L.01488
- Cost-effectiveness of total knee arthroplasty in the United States: patient risk and hospital volume.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 1113-1121https://doi.org/10.1001/archinternmed.2009.136
- Cost-utility analysis in orthopaedic trauma; what pays? A systematic review.Injury. 2018; 49: 575-584https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2018.01.029
- Treatment of humerus fractures in the elderly: a systematic review covering effectiveness, safety, economic aspects and evolution of practice.PLoS One. 2018; 13https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0207815