- •Polycaprolactone (PCL) is amongst the most widely used base polymer materials aimed at bone regeneration using both, electrospinning and 3D printing.
- •PCL is often followed by PLLA (poly-l-lactide) and PLGA (poly Lactic-co-Glycolic Acid) as base/ combination materials for fabricating electrospun scaffolds for bone regeneration.
- •For 3D printing technique, ceramic materials like hydroxyapatite (HA) and /βTCP (β-tricalcium phosphate) are more commonly used.
- •Chitosan is often used along with other materials to provide mechanical strength to scaffolds.
- •In vivo data is only available from a handful of the studies that investigate the above mentioned materilas in vitro.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Reconstruction of Long Bone Infections Using the Induced Membrane Technique: tips and Tricks.J Orthop Trauma. 2016; 30 (Jun): e188-e193
- The Masquelet technique: current concepts, animal models, and perspectives.J Tissue Eng Regen Med. 2020; 14: 10
- Very long-term results of post-traumatic bone defect reconstruction by the induced membrane technique.Orthopaedics & traumatology, surgery & research: OTSR, 2019: 105
- Challenges on optimization of 3D-printed bone scaffolds.Biomed Eng Online. 2020; 19: 1-33
- Induced periosteum a complex cellular scaffold for the treatment of large bone defects.Bone. 2013; 57: 8
- Induced Periosteum-Mimicking Membrane with Cell Barrier and Multipotential Stromal Cell (MSC) Homing Functionalities.Int J Mol Sci. 2020; 21: 16
- A crosslinked collagen membrane versus a noncrosslinked bilayer collagen membrane for supporting osteogenic functions of human bone marrowmultipotent stromal cells.European cells and materials. 2019; 37: 292-309
- Use of electrospinning technique for biomedical applications.Polymer (Guildf). 2008; 49: 5603-5621
- Development of biomimetic electrospun polymeric biomaterials for bone tissue engineering. A review.Journal of biomaterials science, polymer edition. 2019; 30: 1308-1355
- Polycaprolactone as biomaterial for bone scaffolds: review of literature.J Oral Biol Craniofac Res. 2020; 10: 381-388
- Strontium incorporated mineralized PLLA nanofibrous membranes for promoting bone defect repair.Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2019; 179: 363-373
- 3D printed poly(ε-caprolactone) scaffolds function with simvastatin-loaded poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) microspheres to repair load-bearing segmental bone defects.Experimental and therapeutic medicine, 2019: 17
- Design, Materials, and Mechanobiology of Biodegradable Scaffolds for Bone Tissue Engineering.Biomed Res Int. 2015; 2015: 21
- Recent Applications of Coaxial and Emulsion Electrospinning Methods in the Field of.Tissue Engineering. BioResearch. 2016; 5: 212-227
- A biodegradable antibiotic-eluting PLGA nanofiber-loaded deproteinized bone for treatment of infected rabbit bone defects.J Biomater Appl. 2016; 31: 241-249
- Core-sheath micro/nano fiber membrane with antibacterial and osteogenic dual functions as biomimetic artificial periosteum for bone regeneration applications.Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine. 2019; 17: 124-136
- Embedding magnesium metallic particles in polycaprolactone nanofiber mesh improves applicability for biomedical applications.Acta Biomater. 2019; 98: 215-234
- Bilayer pifithrin-α loaded extracellular matrix/PLGA scaffolds for enhanced vascularized bone formation.Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2020; : 190
- Dual-Peptide-Functionalized Nanofibrous Scaffolds Recruit Host Endothelial Progenitor Cells for Vasculogenesis to Repair Calvarial Defects.ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2020; 12: 3474-3493
- Electrospun PLLA nanofiber scaffolds and their use in combination with BMP-2 for reconstruction of bone defects.PLoS ONE. 2011; 6: e25462
- Superelastic, Superabsorbent and 3D Nanofiber-Assembled Scaffold for Tissue Engineering.Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2016; 142: 165-172
- Mechanical property and biological performance of electrospun silk fibroin-polycaprolactone scaffolds with aligned fibers.Journal of biomaterials science Polymer edition. 2016; 27: 263-275
- Fabrication of poly(glycerol sebacate) fibrous membranes by coaxial electrospinning: influence of shell and core solutions.J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2016; 63: 220-231
- Alkali-Mediated Miscibility of Gelatin/Polycaprolactone for Electrospinning Homogeneous Composite Nanofibers for Tissue Scaffolding.Macromolecular Bioscence. 2017; 17: 1-10
- Electrospinning of Polycaprolactone/Pluronic F127 dissolved in glacial acetic acid: fibrous scaffolds fabrication, characterization and in vitro evaluation.Journal of biomaterials science Polymer edition. 2018; 29: 1568-5624
- ECM Decorated Electrospun Nanofiber for Improving Bone Tissue Regeneration.Polymers (Basel). 2018; 10: 272
- Electrospun PCL nanofibers blended with Wattakaka volubilis active phytochemicals for bone and cartilage tissue engineering.Nanomedicine: nanotechnology, biology, and medicine. 2019; 21: 10
- Composite scaffold obtained by electro-hydrodynamic technique for infection prevention and treatment in bone repair.Int J Pharm. 2019; 557: 162-169
- Electrospin-Coating of Paper: a Natural Extracellular Matrix Inspired Design of Scaffold.Polymers (Basel). 2019; 11: 650
- Promoting osteogenic differentiation of BMSCs via mineralization of polylactide/gelatin composite fibers in cell culture medium.Materials Science & Engineering C. 2019; 100: 862-873
- Preparation of electrospun nanofibers with desired microstructures using a programmed three-dimensional (3D) nanofiber collector.Materials science & engineering C, Materials for biological applications. 2020; 106: 10
- Mechanical properties of nasal fascia and periosteum.Clinical biomechanics. Clinical Biomechanics. 2003; 18: 760-764
- Chitosan as a biomaterial — structure, properties, and electrospun nanofibers.Concepts, Compounds and the Alternatives of Antibacterials: IntechOpen, 2015
- Chitosan Derivatives and Their Application in Biomedicine.Int J Mol Sci. 2020; 21: 487
- Natural Polymeric Scaffolds in Bone Regeneration.Front Bioeng Biotechnol. 2020; 8: 28
- Biomimetic mineralization of carboxymethyl chitosan nanofibers with improved osteogenic activity in vitro and in vivo.Carbohydr Polym. 2018; 195: 225-234
- In vivo analysis of vascularization and biocompatibility of electrospun polycaprolactone fibre mats in the rat femur chamber.J Tissue Eng Regen Med. 2019; 13: 1190-1202
- Novel naturally crosslinked electrospun nanofibrous chitosan mats for guided bone regeneration membranes: material characterization and cytocompatibility.J Tissue Eng Regen Med. 2015; 9: 577-583
- Osteoblast biocompatibility of novel chitosan crosslinker, hexamethylene-1,6-diaminocarboxysulfonate.Journal of biomedical materials research Part A. 2015; 103: 3026-3033
- Potential of electrospun chitosan fibers as a surface layer in functionally graded GTR membrane for periodontal regeneration.Dental materials: official publication of the Academy of Dental Materials. 2017; 33: 71-83
- Optimization of electrospinning process & parameters for producing defect-free chitosan/polyethylene oxide nanofibers for bone tissue engineering.Journal of biomaterials science Polymer edition. 2020; 31: 781-803
- Modified electrospun chitosan membranes for controlled release of simvastatin.Int J Pharm. 2020; 584: 13
- Osteogenic induction of bone marrow mesenchymal cells on electrospun polycaprolactone/chitosan nanofibrous membrane.Dent Mater J. 2017; 36: 325-332
- Cellular behavior of L929 and MG-63 cells cultured on electrospun nanofibers of chitosan with different degrees of phosphorylation.Prog Biomater. 2016; 5: 93-100
- Polycaprolactone/carboxymethyl chitosan nanofibrous scaffolds for bone tissue engineering application.Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 2018; 115: 243-248
- Bone morphogenic protein-2 immobilization by cold atmospheric plasma to enhance the osteoinductivity of carboxymethyl chitosan-based nanofibers.Carbohydr Polym. 2020; 231: 9
- Electrospun metformin-loaded polycaprolactone/chitosan nanofibrous membranes as promoting guided bone regeneration membranes: preparation and characterization of fibers, drug release, and osteogenic activity in vitro.J Biomater Appl. 2020; 34: 282-1293
- A review of materials, fabrication methods, and strategies used to enhance bone regeneration in engineered bone tissues.J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 2008; : 573-582
- Dental pulp-derived stromal cells exhibit a higher osteogenic potency than bone marrow-derived stromal cells in vitro and in a porcine critical-size bone defect model.SICOT J. 2016; 2: 16
- Three dimensional printed macroporous polylactic acid/hydroxyapatite composite scaffolds for promoting bone formation in a critical-size rat calvarial defect model.Sci Technol Adv Mater. 2016; 8 (17): 136-148
- In vitro and in vivo bone formation potential of surface calcium phosphate-coated polycaprolactone and polycaprolactone/bioactive glass composite scaffolds.Acta Biomater. 2016; 30: 319-333
- 3D biomimetic artificial bone scaffolds with dual-cytokines spatiotemporal delivery for large weight-bearing bone defect repair.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 1-13
- Adhesion, proliferation and osteogenic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells in 3D printed poly-ε-caprolactone/hydroxyapatite scaffolds combined with bone marrow clots.Mol Med Rep. 2017; 16: 5078-5084
Sun T. et al. Evaluation of osteogenic inductivity of a novel BMP 2-mimicking peptide P 28 and P 28-containing bone composite. 2018;106:210–20.
- Nano-biphasic calcium phosphate/polyvinyl alcohol composites with enhanced bioactivity for bone repair via low-temperature three-dimensional printing and loading with platelet-rich fibrin.Int J Nanomedicine. 2018; 13: 505-523
- Integrating 3D-printed PHBV/Calcium sulfate hemihydrate scaffold and chitosan hydrogel for enhanced osteogenic property.Carbohydrate polymer. 2018; 202: 106-114
- Use of a three-dimensional printed polylactide-coglycolide/tricalcium phosphate composite scaffold incorporating magnesium powder to enhance bone defect repair in rabbits.J Orthop Translat. 2019; 16: 62-70
- 3D-Printed Bioactive Calcium Silicate/Poly-ε-Caprolactone Bioscaffolds Modified with Biomimetic Extracellular Matrices for Bone Regeneration.Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2019; 942: 20
- Mesenchymal stem cell-loaded thermosensitive hydroxypropyl chitin hydrogel combined with a three-dimensional-printed poly (ε-caprolactone) /nano-hydroxyapatite scaffold to repair bone defects via osteogenesis, angiogenesis and immunomodulation.Theranostics. 2020; 10: 725-740
- Three dimensional printed polylactic acid-hydroxyapatite composite scaffolds for prefabricating vascularized tissue engineered bone: an in vivo bioreactor model.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 15255
- Customized, degradable, functionally graded scaffold for potential treatment of early stage osteonecrosis of the femoral head.J Orthop Res. 2018; 36: 1002-1011
- Preclinical induced membrane model to evaluate synthetic implants for healing critical bone defects without autograft.Journal of orthopaedic research: official publication of the Orthopaedic Research Society. 2019; 37: 60-68
- A polycaprolactone-β-tricalcium phosphate-heparan sulphate device for cranioplasty.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2019; 47: 341-348
- The Characteristics of Mineral Trioxide Aggregate/Polycaprolactone 3-dimensional Scaffold with Osteogenesis Properties for Tissue Regeneration.J Endod. 2017; 43: 923-929
- Endothelial pattern formation in hybrid constructs of additive manufactured porous rigid scaffolds and cell-laden hydrogels for orthopedic applications.J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2017; 65: 356-372
- Enhanced biocompatibility and osteogenic potential of mesoporous magnesium silicate/polycaprolactone/wheat protein composite scaffolds.Int J Nanomedicine. 2018; 13: 1107-1117
Bruyas A. et al. Systematic characterization of 3D-printed PCL/β-TCP scaffolds for biomedical devices and bone tissue engineering: influence of composition and porosity. 2018;33:1948.
- Effect of Electron Beam Sterilization on Three-Dimensional-Printed Polycaprolactone/Beta-Tricalcium Phosphate Scaffolds for Bone Tissue Engineering.Tissue engineering Part A. 2019; 25: 248-256
- Calcium phosphates in biomedical applications: materials for the future?.Materials Today. 2016; 19: 69-87
- Reconstruction of Large Skeletal Defects: current Clinical Therapeutic Strategies and Future Directions Using 3D Printing.Frontier in Bioengineering and Biotechnology. 2021; 8: 11
- Engineering functionally graded tissue engineering scaffolds.J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2008; 1: 140-152
This paper is part of a Supplement supported by the European Society of Tissue Regeneration in Orthopaedics and Traumatology (ESTROT).