- •Following the introduction of MTCs, concerns were raised regarding the effect on hip fracture patients.
- •Using NHFD data we compare outcomes in MTCs vs TUs.
- •There was no statistically significant difference observed in all outcomes for MTC vs TU.
- •FNOF patients in NI waited longer for their surgery but this did not have any significant difference on 30-day mortality rates.
- •These findings are reassuring for MTCs in England.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
The national hip fracture database. National hip fracture database national report 2019, 2019.
- Changes in population demographics and the future incidence of hip fracture.Injury. 2009; 40 (JulEpub 2009 May 8. PMID: 19426972): 722-726https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2008.11.004
Department of Health. Payment by results guidance for 2010-11. leeds: payment by results team, department of health, 2010
Royal College of Physicians. Best practice tariff (BPT) for fragility hip fracture care user guide, 2010. http://nhfd.co.uk (Accessed 12 July 2020)
- Does achieving the best practice tariff improve outcomes in hip fracture patients? An observational cohort study.BMJ Open. 2017; 7 (Feb 6PMID: 28167748; PMCID: PMC5293976)e014190https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2016-014190
- Does achieving the 'Best Practice Tariff' criteria for fractured neck of femur patients improve one year outcomes?.Injury. 2019; 50 (JulEpub 2019 Jun 3. PMID: 31196598): 1358-1363https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2019.06.007
- Trauma networks: present and future challenges.BMC Med. 2011; 9 (Nov 11PMID: 22078223; PMCID: PMC3229440): 121https://doi.org/10.1186/1741-7015-9-121
- A systematic review and meta-analysis comparing outcome of severely injured patients treated in trauma centers following the establishment of trauma systems.J Trauma. 2006; 60 (Febdiscussion 378PMID: 16508498): 371-378https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ta.0000197916.99629.eb
- The London major trauma network system: a literature review.Cureus. 2020; 12 (Dec 9PMID: 33324530; PMCID: PMC7732139): e12000https://doi.org/10.7759/cureus.12000
- What effect has the major trauma network had on perceptions of trauma care delivery amongst trauma teams in major trauma centres and neighbouring trauma units?.Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2021; 47 (FebEpub 2019 Aug 26. PMID: 31451862): 171-177https://doi.org/10.1007/s00068-019-01206-1
- The effect of becoming a major trauma centre on outcomes for elderly hip fracture patients.Injury. 2015; 46 (FebEpub 2014 Dec 15. PMID: 25548113): 384-387https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2014.12.005
- Management of hip fractures pre- and post-major trauma centre activation.Injury. 2015; 46 (OctEpub 2015 Jul 2. PMID: 26169232): 1975-1977https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2015.06.030
- Quality of care for patients with a fracture of the hip in major trauma centres: a national observational study.Bone Joint J. 2016; (Mar;98-BPMID: 26920969): 414-419https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.98B3.36904
NHS England. 2016. Major trauma centres in England. [Accessed 13th February 2021] https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/Emergencyandurgentcareservices/Documents/2016/MTS-map.pdf
- Major trauma networks in England.Br J Anaesth. 2014; 113 (AugPMID: 25038152): 202-206https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aeu204
- Regionalisation of trauma care in England.Bone Joint J. 2016; (Sep;98-BPMID: 27587529): 1253-1261https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.98B9.37525
- Early surgery for patients with a fracture of the hip decreases 30-day mortality.Bone Joint J. 2015; (Jan;97-BPMID: 25568422): 104-108https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.97B1.35041
- Is operative delay associated with increased mortality of hip fracture patients? Systematic review, meta-analysis, and meta-regression.Can J Anaesth. 2008; 55 (MarPMID: 18310624): 146-154https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03016088
- Does time of surgery and complication have any correlation in the management of hip fracture in elderly and can early surgery affect the outcome?.Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2018; 28 (FebEpub 2017 Oct 7. PMID: 28988382): 277-282https://doi.org/10.1007/s00590-017-2047-0
- Does timing of surgery matter in fragility hip fractures?.Osteoporos Int. 2010; 21 (DecSuppl34Epub 2010 Nov 6. PMID: 21057992; PMCID: PMC2974918): S529https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-010-1391-2
- A critical review of the long-term disability outcomes following hip fracture.BMC Geriatr. 2016; 16 (Sep 2PMID: 27590604; PMCID: PMC5010762): 158https://doi.org/10.1186/s12877-016-0332-0
The National Hip Fracture Database. National hip fracture database national Report 2018, 2018.
- Impact of hip fracture on hospital care costs: a population-based study.Osteoporos Int. 2016; 27 (FebEpub 2015 Aug 19. PMID: 26286626; PMCID: PMC4740562): 549-558https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-015-3277-9
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Hip fracture: management. Clinical Guideline 124. https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg124. Accessed 20 Jan 2022.
- No rest for the wounded: early ambulation after hip surgery accelerates recovery.ANZ J Surg. 2006; 76 (JulPMID: 16813627): 607-611https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1445-2197.2006.03786.x
- Discharge after hip fracture surgery in relation to mobilisation timing by patient characteristics: linked secondary analysis of the UK National Hip Fracture Database.BMC Geriatr. 2021; 21 (Dec 15PMID: 34911474; PMCID: PMC8672496): 694https://doi.org/10.1186/s12877-021-02624-w
- Age-related trends in injury and injury severity presenting to emergency departments in New South Wales Australia: implications for major injury surveillance and trauma systems.Injury. 2017; 48 (JanEpub 2016 Aug 13. PMID: 27542554): 171-176https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2016.08.005
- Major trauma in older people: implications for anaesthesia and intensive care medicine.Anaesthesia. 2017; 72 (NovEpub 2017 Aug 22. PMID: 28832941): 1302-1305https://doi.org/10.1111/anae.14027
- Orthogeriatrics moving forward.Age Ageing. 2014; 43 (MayEpub 2014 Feb 20. PMID: 24556016): 301-305https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afu011
- The best practice tariff and hip fractures: how can Northern Ireland keep up?.Surgeon. 2015; 13 (DecEpub 2014 Apr 13. PMID: 24726231): 308-311https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surge.2014.03.004