- •IM nailing could increase the shoulder function score after one year post-operatively when comparing with plating fixation.
- •The functional advantage of IM nailing mainly came from the subgroup of locked IM nailing.
- •The rates of the infection, overall major complications and revision surgery were significantly higher after plating fixation than IM nailing.
- •The operative time, blood loss and wound length were significantly less in the IM nailing group than the plating group.
Level of evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Midshaft clavicular fractures: comparison of intramedullary pin and plate fixation.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2011; 20: 1114-1117
- Titanium elastic nails, open reduction internal fixation and non-operative management for middle third clavicle fractures: a comparative study.Eur J Orthopaed Surg Traumatol Orthopedie Traumatologie. 2014; 24: 323-329
- Complications after plate fixation and elastic stable intramedullary nailing of dislocated midshaft clavicle fractures: a retrospective comparison.Int Orthop. 2012; 36: 2139-2145
- Fractures of the distal third of the clavicle.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1968; 58: 43-50
- Operative versus nonoperative treatment in the management of midshaft clavicular fractures: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2014; 23: 173-181
- Plate fixation versus intramedullary fixation for displaced mid-shaft clavicle fractures: a systematic review.Int Orthop. 2012; 36: 579-585
- Reconstruction plate versus minimal invasive retrograde titanium elastic nail fixation for displaced midclavicular fractures.J Orthopaed Traumatol. 2011; 12: 185-192
- Surgical treatment of midclavicular fractures: a prospective comparison of Knowles pinning and plate fixation.Int Orthop. 2008; 32: 541-545
- Operative treatment of dislocated midshaft clavicular fractures: plate or intramedullary nail fixation? A randomized controlled trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015; 97: 613-619
- Single, superiorly placed reconstruction plate compared with flexible intramedullary nailing for midshaft clavicular fractures: a prospective, randomized controlled trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015; 97: 620-626
- Plate versus titanium elastic nail in treatment of displaced midshaft clavicle fractures: a comparative study.Indian J Orthop. 2014; 48: 587-593
- Treatment of displaced midshaft clavicular fractures: a comparison between smooth pin and LCDCP and reconstruction plate fixation.Pak J Med Sci. 2011; 27: 1129-1134
- Locked intramedullary fixation vs plating for displaced and shortened mid-shaft clavicle fractures: a randomized clinical trial.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2010; 19: 783-789
- Management of the mid-shaft clavicle fractures using plate fixation versus intramedullary fixation: an updated meta-analysis.Int Orthop. 2015; 39: 319-328
- Is intramedullary fixation of displaced midshaft clavicle fracture superior to plate fixation? Evidence from a systematic review of discordant meta-analyses.Int J Surg. 2017; 43: 155-162
- Intramedullary fixation versus plate fixation for displaced mid-shaft clavicle fractures: a systematic review of overlapping meta-analyses.Medicine (Baltimore). 2018; 97: e9752
- Plate Versus Intramedullary Fixation Care of Displaced Midshaft Clavicular Fractures: a Meta-Analysis of Prospective Randomized Controlled Trials.Medicine (Baltimore). 2015; 94: e1792
- Intramedullary Nailing Versus Plate Fixation for the Treatment Displaced Midshaft Clavicular Fractures: a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 34912
- Plating versus intramedullary pin or conservative treatment for midshaft fracture of clavicle: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2011; 20: 1008-1015
- Meta-analysis of plate fixation versus intramedullary fixation for the treatment of mid-shaft clavicle fractures.Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2015; 23: 27
- Plate fixation versus intramedullary fixation for midshaft clavicle fractures: meta-analysis of complications and functional outcomes.J Int Med Res. 2016; 44: 201-215
- Plate fixation or intramedullary fixation for midshaft clavicle fractures: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials and observational studies.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2016; 25: 1195-1203
- Plating versus intramedullary fixation for mid-shaft clavicle fractures: a systemic review and meta-analysis.PeerJ. 2016; 4: e1540
- A systematic review of plate versus intramedullary fixation in the treatment of midshaft clavicle fractures.Scott Med J. 2013; 58: 163-167
- The Effectiveness of a Flexible Locked Intramedullary Nail and an Anatomically Contoured Locked Plate to Treat Clavicular Shaft Fractures: a 1-Year Randomized Control Trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019; 101: 628-634
- Plate fixation versus intramedullary nailing of completely displaced midshaft fractures of the clavicle: a prospective randomised controlled trial.Bone Joint J. 2017; 99-b: 1095-1101
- Prospective randomized study comparing results of fixation for clavicular shaft fractures with intramedullary nail or locking compression plate.Int Orthop. 2017; 41: 173-179
Higgins J.P., Green S. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions 5.1.0[Updated March 2011]. The Cochrane Collaboration. 2011. Available from www.cochrane-handbook.org.
- Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test.BMJ. 1997; 315: 629-634
- Comparison of novel intramedullary nailing with mini-invasive plating in surgical fixation of displaced midshaft clavicle fractures.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2015; 135: 339-344
- Surgical fixation of displaced midshaft clavicle fractures: elastic intramedullary nailing versus precontoured plating.J Orthopaed Traumatol. 2014; 15: 165-171
- Operative treatment of midclavicular fractures in 62 elderly patients: knowles pin versus plate.Orthopedics. 2007; 30: 959-964
- Five-Year Follow-up Results of a Randomized Controlled Study Comparing Intramedullary Nailing with Plate Fixation of Completely Displaced Midshaft Fractures of the Clavicle in Adults.JB & JS Open Access. 2018; 3: e0009
- What Is the Best Evidence for Management of Displaced Midshaft Clavicle Fractures? A Systematic Review and Network Meta-analysis of 22 Randomized Controlled Trials.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2020; 478: 392-402
- Stability of mid-shaft clavicle fractures after plate fixation versus intramedullary repair and after hardware removal.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2014; 22: 448-455
- Complications of clavicle fractures treated with intramedullary fixation.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2011; 20: 86-91
- Surgical versus conservative interventions for treating fractures of the middle third of the clavicle.Cochrane Datab Syst Rev. 2013; 6CD009363
- Locking plate osteosynthesis of clavicle fractures: complication and reoperation rates in one hundred and five consecutive cases.Int Orthop. 2013; 37: 689-692