- •Breakage of the RIA-2 system reamer head with persistence of metal debris in the femoral canal has never been reported.
- •This is a frustrating and challenging situation in which the surgeon may be seriously left without an option but to abandon them inside the canal.
- •A technical trick using a combination of instruments is provided as a bailout from this distressing situation.
Declaration of Competing Interest
- The Reamer-Irrigator-Aspirator in nonunion surgery.Orthop Clin N Am. 2019; 50: 297-304
- Autologous bone graft harvest using the Reamer-Irrigator-Aspirator.J Orthop Trauma. 2018; (Aug;32 Suppl 1:S20-S21. doi:10.1097/BOT.0000000000001195. PMID: 29985898)
- Complications and risk management in the use of the reaming-irrigator-aspirator (RIA) system: RIA is a safe and reliable method in harvesting autologous bone graft.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0196051
- The Reamer-Irrigator-Aspirator as a device for harvesting bone graft compared with iliac crest bone graft: union rates and complications.J Orthop Trauma. 2014; 28: 584-590
- Reamer Irrigator Aspirator bone graft harvesting: complications and outcomes in an Asian population.Injury. 2015; 46: 2042-2051
- Incidence of donor site morbidity following harvesting from iliac crest or RIA graft.Injury. 2014; 45 (Suppl 6): S116-S120
- Use of the Reamer-Irrigator-Aspirator may reduce tumor dissemination during intramedullary fixation of malignancies.Orthopedics. 2012; 35: e48-e52
- Reaming Irrigator Aspirator system: early experience of its multipurpose use.Injury. 2011; 42 (Suppl 4): S28-S34
- A new technique for obtaining bone graft in cases of distal femur nonunion: passing a Reamer/Irrigator/Aspirator retrograde through the nonunion site.Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2016; 45: E493-E4e6
- The concept of induced membrane for reconstruction of long bone defects.Orthop Clin N Am. 2010; 41 (table of contents): 27-37
- Fracture healing: the diamond concept.Injury. 2007; 38 (Suppl 4): S3-S6
User licenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy