- •True non-reconstructable comminution with irreducible tiny fragments and/or cartilage delamination was most likely to present in bordering zones between the major fragments where the violence concentrated.in AO OTA type C3 tibial plafond fractures.
- •“Extensive comminution and over 50% of cartilage impaction into the distal tibial metaphysis” did not necessarily mean that the entire comminuted and impacted zone was irreparable with ORIF. On the contrary, in the majority of patients, most part of the plafond was still reparable with ORIF.
- •The reparability of these main fragments of the plafond and metaphysis and focalization of the comminuted zones gave a chance to repair them with osteochondral autograft transplantation to restore the congruity of the facet.
- •Osteochondral autograft transplantation together with meticulous reduction and fixation may provide a chance to relieve pain without sacrificing the joint in young patients suffering AO OTA type C3 tibial plafond fractures with irreducibly comminuted area and/or cartilage delamination.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Results and outcomes after operative treatment of high-energy tibial plafond fractures.Foot Ankle Int. 2006; 27: 256-265https://doi.org/10.1177/107110070602700406
- Pilon fractures.Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2012; 29: 243-278https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpm.2012.01.001
- Pilon fracture: preventing complications.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2018; 26: 640-651https://doi.org/10.5435/JAAOS-D-17-00160
- Patient reported health related quality of life early outcomes at 12 months after surgically managed tibial plafond fracture.Injury. 2017; 48: 946-953https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury
- High-energy pilon fractures management: state of the art.EFORT Open Rev. 2017; 1: 354-361https://doi.org/10.1302/2058-5241.1.000016
- Clinical outcome and changes in gait pattern after pilon fractures.Int Orthop. 2013; 37: 51-58https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-012-1716-1
- Complications and early results after operative fixation of 68 pilon fractures of the distal tibia.Scott Med J. 2015; 60: 79-84https://doi.org/10.1177/0036933015569159
- The analysis of the variables, affecting outcome in surgically treated tibia pilon fractured patients.Injury. 2013; 44: 1270-1274https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2013.06.016
- Quality of life and prognostic factors after intra-articular tibi al pilon fracture.Injury. 2017; 48: 1258-1263https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2017.03.023
- Ankle fusion for definitive management of non-reconstructable pilon fractures.Foot Ankle Int. 2008; 29 (PMID: 18778670): 914-918https://doi.org/10.3113/FAI.2008.0914
- Fracture reduction and primary ankle arthrodesis: a reliable approach for severely comminuted tibial pilon fracture.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014; 472: 3823-3834https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-014-3683-x
- Primary arthrodesis of the tibiotalar joint in severely comminuted high-energy pilon fractures.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014; 4 (96:e91)https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.M.00544
- Primary arthrodesis for tibial pilon fractures.Foot Ankle Clin. 2017; 22: 147-161https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fcl.2016.09.010
- Quality of life 20 years after arthrodesis of the ankle. A study of adjacent joints.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2003; 85: 994-998https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620x.85b7.13984
- Adjacent joint kinematics after ankle arthrodesis during cadaveric gait simulation.Foot Ankle Int. 2017; 38: 1249-1259https://doi.org/10.1177/1071100717726806
- Effects of ankle arthrodesis on biomechanical performance of the entire foot.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0134340https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0134340
- The midfoot load shows impaired function after ankle arthrodesis.Clin Biomech. 2012; 7: 1064-1071https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2012.07.012
- Autologous osteochondral graft for early posttraumatic arthritis of tibiotalar joints after comminuted pilon fractures in young patients.Foot Ankle Int. 2020; 41: 69-78https://doi.org/10.1177/1071100719875728
- Regenerative treatment of osteochondral lesions of distal tibial plafond.Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2018; 28: 1199-1207https://doi.org/10.1007/s00590-018-2161-7
- Primary ankle arthrodesis for severely comminuted tibial pilon fractures.Orthopedics. 2017; 40: e378-e381https://doi.org/10.3928/01477447-20161202-04
- The pilon map: fracture lines and comminution zones in OTA/AO type 43C3 pilon fractures.J Orthop Trauma. 2013; 27: e152-e156https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0b013e318288a7e9
- Relationship between weightbearing ankle dorsiflexion passive range of motion and ankle kinematics during gait.J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2017; 107: 39-45https://doi.org/10.7547/14-112
- Performance of total ankle arthroplasty and ankle arthrodesis on uneven surfaces, stairs, and inclines: a prospective study.Foot Ankle Int. 2015; 36: 11-17https://doi.org/10.1177/1071100714549190
- Hip, knee, and ankle kinematics during activities of daily living: a cross-sectional study.Braz J Phys Ther. 2017; 21: 159-166https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjpt.2017.03.012
- Bone-Graft resorption reduced by the induced membrane technique and factors affecting volumetric changes: an analysis of 120 serial computed tomographic scans in 40 patients.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2020; 102: 1269-1278https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.19.00804