- •Cast application and late weightbearing is the most common rehabilitation protocol following Achilles tendon rupture (ATR).
- •Recent trials support early weightbearing and ankle mobilization with removable orthosis over late weightbearing.
- •Our review revealed similar functional and patient-reported outcomes between early and late weightbearing for the conservative management of ATR.
- •Early weightbearing was not found to be associated with higher adverse event rate compared to late weightbearing.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Epidemiology and video analysis of Achilles tendon ruptures in the National Basketball Association.Am J Sports Med. 2019; 47: 2360-2366
- Increasing incidence of acute Achilles tendon rupture and a noticeable decline in surgical treatment from 1994 to 2013. A nationwide registry study of 33,160 patients.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2016; 24: 3730-3737
- Randomised controlled trials of immediate weight-bearing mobilisation for rupture of the tendo Achillis.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2006; 88: 69-77
- Eighty-two per cent of male professional football (soccer) players return to play at the previous level two seasons after Achilles tendon rupture treated with surgical repair.Br J Sports Med. 2020; 54: 480-486
- Surgical interventions for treating acute Achilles tendon ruptures.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; CD003674
- Operative treatment versus nonoperative treatment of Achilles tendon ruptures: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ. 2019; 364: k5120
- A prospective randomized trial comparing surgical and nonsurgical treatments of acute Achilles tendon ruptures.Am J Sports Med. 2016; 44: 2406-2414
- Operative repair of acute Achilles tendon rupture does not give superior patient-reported outcomes to nonoperative management.Bone Joint J. 2020; 102-B: 933-940
- Current concepts review: acute ruptures of the achilles tendon.Foot Ankle Int. 2006; 27: 305-313
- Acute achilles tendon ruptures.Foot Ankle Int. 2016; 37: 233-239
- Gait abnormalities following rupture of the tendo Achillis: a pedobarographic assessment.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2005; 87: 1085-1088
- Postoperative rehabilitation protocols for Achilles tendon ruptures: a meta-analysis.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006; 445: 216-221
- Complications in the management of acute achilles tendon rupture: a systematic review and network meta-analysis of 2060 patients.Am J Sports Med. 2019; 47: 2251-2260
- Nonoperative dynamic treatment of acute achilles tendon rupture: the influence of early weight-bearing on clinical outcome: a blinded, randomized controlled trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014; 96: 1497-1503
- The Sheffield splint for controlled early mobilisation after rupture of the calcaneal tendon. A prospective, randomised comparison with plaster treatment.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1992; 74: 206-209
- Weight-bearing in the nonoperative treatment of acute achilles tendon ruptures: a randomized controlled trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014; 96: 1073-1079
- Weight bearing the same day versus non-weight bearing for 4 weeks in Achilles tendon rupture.J Orthop Sci. 2015; 20: 513-516
- Early functional rehabilitation for acute achilles tendon ruptures: an update meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2019; 58: 938-945
- Effect of early versus late weightbearing in conservatively treated acute achilles tendon rupture: a meta-analysis.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2018; 57: 346-352
- A randomized controlled trial comparing traditional plaster cast rehabilitation with functional walking boot rehabilitation for acute achilles tendon ruptures.Am J Sports Med. 2020; 48: 2755-2764
- Plaster cast versus functional brace for non-surgical treatment of Achilles tendon rupture (UKSTAR): a multicentre randomised controlled trial and economic evaluation.Lancet. 2020; 395: 441-448
- Early weight-bearing in nonoperative treatment of acute Achilles tendon rupture did not influence mid-term outcome: a blinded, randomised controlled trial.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2019; 27: 2781-2788
- Efficacy of early controlled motion of the ankle compared with immobilisation in non-operative treatment of patients with an acute Achilles tendon rupture: an assessor-blinded, randomised controlled trial.Br J Sports Med. 2020; 54: 719-724
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: explanation and elaboration.J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62: e1-34
- RoB 2: a revised tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials.BMJ. 2019; 366: l4898
- Rehabilitation regimen for non-surgical treatment of Achilles tendon rupture: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.J Sci Med Sport. 2021; 24: 536-543
- Achilles tendon healing: long-term biomechanical effects of postoperative mobilization and immobilization in a new mouse model.J Orthop Res. 2002; 20: 939-946
- The Achilles tendon Total Rupture Score (ATRS): development and validation.Am J Sports Med. 2007; 35: 421-426