- •High energy tibial plateau fractures remain a difficult problem to treat despite advances in soft tissue management and fixation strategies.
- •Overlap between external fixator pin site and internal fixation in tibial plateau fractures is associated with increased rate of infections.
- •Surgeons treating high energy tibial plateau fractures should carefully consider definitive fixation construct when placing external fixation.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- High-Energy Tibial Plateau Fractures.J Am Acad of Orthop Surg. 2016; 14: 20-31
- Surgical fixation methods for tibial plateau fractures.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; 15CD009679
- Tibial Plateau Fractures.StatPearls. 2021; (internet)
- Tibial plateau fractures: definition, demographics, treatment rationale, and long-term results of closed traction management or operative reduction.J Orthop Trauma. 1987; 1: 97-119
- High-energy fractures of the tibial plateau.Orthop Clin North Am. 1994; 25: 723-752
- Staged Management of High-Energy Proximal Tibia Fractures (OTA Types 41): the Results of a Prospective, Standardized Protocol.J Orthop Trauma. 2005; 19: 448-455
- Current State of the Art: temporary External Fixation for the Management of Complex Intra- and Periarticular Fractures of the Lower Extremity.J Orthop Trauma. 2002; 16: 678-685
- Prevalence of Deep surgical site infection after repair of periarticular knee fractures: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.JAMA Network Open. 2019; 2e199951
- Does Early versus Delayed Spanning External Fixation Impact Complication Rates for High-energy Tibial Plateau and Plafond Fractures?.Clin Orthop Related Res. 2016; 474: 1436-1444
- Pin tract infection with external fixation of pediatric fractures.J Pediatr Surg. 2007; 42: 1584-1587
- External fixation of the tibia. Basic concepts and prospective evaluation.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1986; 68: 246-254
- The PINS Trial: a prospective randomized clinical trial comparing a traditional versus an emollient skincare regimen for the care of pin-sites in patients with circular frames.Bone Joint J. 2021; (103-B): 279-285
- Definitive plates overlapping provisional external fixator pin sites: is the infection risk increased?.J Orthop Trauma. 2014; 28: 518-522
- Infection After Spanning External Fixation for High-Energy Tibial Plateau Fractures: is Pin Site-Plate Overlap a Problem?.J Orthop Trauma. 2012; 26: 92-97
- Is the Proximity of external fixator pins to eventual definitive fixation implants related to the risk of deep infection in the staged management of tibial pilon fractures?.Injury. 2019; 50: 2103-2107
- Does external fixator pin site distance from definitive implant affection infection rate in pilon fractures?.Injury. 2019; 50: 503-507
- Is Definitive Plate Fixation Overlap with External Fixator Pin Sites a Risk Factor for Infection after Pilon Fractures?.J Orthop Trauma. 2021; 35: e7-e12
- What’s the relative risk? A method of correcting the odds ratio in cohort studies of common outcomes.JAMA. 1998; 280: 1690-1691
- Cost Variation in Temporizing External Fixation of Tibial Plateau Fractures.J Orthop Trauma. 2019; 33: S5-S10
- Factors in pin tract infections.Orthopedics. 1991; 14: 305-308
- Contamination of the medullary canal following pin-tract infection.J Orthop Res. 1999; 17: 947-952
- Surgical Treatment of tibial plafond fractures.Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2014; 31: 547-564
- Pin-tract infection during limb lengthening using external fixation.AM J Orthop. 2008; 37: E150-E154
- Prolonged operative time increases infection rate in tibial plateau fractures.Injury. 2013; 44 (Feb): 249-252
- Infection in periarticular fractures of the lower extremity treated with tensioned wire hybrid fixation.J Orthop Trauma. 1998; 12: 214-218
- Pin tract infection with contemporary external fixation: how much of a problem?.J Orthop Trauma. 2003; 17: 503-507
- Risk factors of infection after ORIF of bicondylar tibial plateau fractures.J Orthop Trauma. 2013; 27: 196-200
- Clinical and radiological outcome of percutaneous plating in extra-articular proximal tibia fractures: a prospective study.Injury. 2013; 44 (Aug): 1081-1086
- Outcome After Tibial Plateau Fracture: how Important Is Restoration of Articular Congruity?.J Orthop Trauma. 2017; 31 (Mar): 158-163
- Predictors of osteoarthritis following operative treatment of medial tibial plateau fractures.Injury. 2018; 49 (Feb): 370-375
- Risk factors for infection after operative fixation of Tibial plateau fractures.Injury. 2016; 47 (Jul): 1501-1505
- Complications of high-energy bicondylar tibial plateau fractures treated with dual plating through 2 incisions.J Orthop Trauma. 2015; 29 (Feb): 85-90
- Surgical site infection after open reduction and internal fixation of tibial plateau fractures.Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2014; 24: 797-803