- •Patient-reported outcomes (PROs) capture data related to patients' perception of their health status and aspects of health care delivery.
- •Information generated by PROs provides a holistic but nuanced view of patients that helps clinicians understand the patients' health journey.
- •Integrating PROs into care delivery in a standardized manner can aid shared decision making and promote patient engagement.
- •PROs can empower patients to actively manage their health and improve their healthcare experiences.
Patient care pathway
Assessment of symptoms, limitations, and quality of life
Screening for psychological distress
Patient phenotyping for personalized care
Evaluating patient activation in health
Evaluating social determinants of health
- Billioux A.
- Verlander K.
- Anthony S.
- Alley D.
Health literacy, digital literacy, and the user experience
Informed decision making
Goal setting and preference elicitation
- Jayakumar P.
- Moore M.G.
- Furlough K.A.
- Uhler L.M.
- Andrawis J.P.
- Koenig K.M.
- et al.
Facilitating and evaluating SDM
- Jayakumar P.
- Moore M.G.
- Furlough K.A.
- Uhler L.M.
- Andrawis J.P.
- Koenig K.M.
- et al.
Monitoring recovery and evaluating treatment
Evaluating dynamic change in health and quality of life
- Kagan R.
- Anderson M.B.
- Christensen J.C.
- Peters C.L.
- Gililland J.M.
Patient engagement in outcome measurement
Exploring the mobile/wearable technologies
Innovative platforms for patient data
Declaration of Competing Interest
Appendix. Supplementary materials
- Montgomery and informed consent: where are we now?.BMJ. 2017; 357: j2224
- Committee on quality of health care in america. crossing the quality chasm: a new health system for the 21st century.National Academies Press (US), Washington (DC)2001
- The Role of Patient-Reported Outcome Measures in Value-Based Payment Reform.Value Health. 2017; 20: 834-836
- Value-based health care delivery.Ann Surg. 2008; 248: 503-509
- A strategy for health care reform–toward a value-based system.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 109-112
- Using Digital Health Technology to Better Generate Evidence and Deliver Evidence-Based Care.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 71: 2680-2690
- Value in Healthcare and the Role of the Patient Voice.Healthc Pap. 2019; 18: 28-35
- Incorporating Patient-Reported Outcomes Into Health Care To Engage Patients And Enhance Care.Health Aff (Millwood). 2016; 35: 575-582
- PROMs data: can it be used to make decisions for individual patients? A narrative review.Patient Relat Outcome Meas. 2019; 10: 233-241
- Patient-Reported Outcomes - Are They Living Up to Their Potential?.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 6-9
- Montreal Accord on Patient-Reported Outcomes (PROs) use series - Paper 3: patient-reported outcomes can facilitate shared decision-making and guide self-management.J Clin Epidemiol. 2017; 89: 125-135
- Patient-reported outcome measures (PROMs): can they be used to guide patient-centered care and optimize outcomes in total knee replacement?.Qual Life Res. 2020; 29: 3273-3283
- Shared decision making: a model for clinical practice.J Gen Intern Med. 2012; 27: 1361-1367
- Implementing shared decision making in the NHS.BMJ. 2010; 341: c5146
- Patient Engagement. Prim Care. 2019; 46: 539-547
- Shared Decision-making in Orthopaedic Surgery.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2020; 28 (e1032-e41)
- Can Preoperative Patient-reported Outcome Measures Be Used to Predict Meaningful Improvement in Function After TKA?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2017; 475: 149-157
- Patient-Reported Outcome Measures and Patient Activation: What Are Their Roles in Orthopedic Trauma?.J Orthop Trauma. 2019; 33 (Suppl 7): S38-S42
- Does recall period matter? Comparing PROMIS((R)) physical function with no recall, 24-hr recall, and 7-day recall.Qual Life Res. 2020; 29: 745-753
- Accuracy of patient recall of hand and elbow disability on the QuickDASH questionnaire over a two-year period.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013; 95: e176
- Impact of patient-reported outcome measures on routine practice: a structured review.J Eval Clin Pract. 2006; 12: 559-568
- Patient-reported outcome use in oncology: a systematic review of the impact on patient-clinician communication.Support Care Cancer. 2018; 26: 41-60
- Provision of feedback on perceived health status to health care professionals: a systematic review of its impact.Med Care. 2000; 38: 175-186
- Pain catastrophizing, anxiety, and depression in hip pathology.Bone Joint J. 2019; 101-B: 800-807
- Patient phenotyping in clinical trials of chronic pain treatments: IMMPACT recommendations.Pain. 2016; 157: 1851-1871
- What General and Pain-associated Psychological Distress Phenotypes Exist Among Patients with Hip and Knee Osteoarthritis?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2020; 478: 2768-2783
- Development and testing of a short form of the patient activation measure.Health Serv Res. 2005; 40: 1918-1930
- Development of the Patient Activation Measure (PAM): conceptualizing and measuring activation in patients and consumers.Health Serv Res. 2004; 39: 1005-1026
- Patients with lower activation associated with higher costs; delivery systems should know their patients' 'scores'.Health Aff (Millwood). 2013; 32: 216-222
- Why does patient activation matter? An examination of the relationships between patient activation and health-related outcomes.J Gen Intern Med. 2012; 27: 520-526
- The impact of a patient's engagement in their health on the magnitude of limitations and experience following upper limb fractures.Bone Joint J. 2020; 102-B: 42-47
- Center for the Health Professions. PeaceHealth Team Fillingame: update 2014.UCSF Center for the Health Professions. 2014; (September)
- Commission on social determinants of health WHO. closing the gap in a generation: health equity through action on the social determinants of health: commission on social determinants of health final report.World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2008
- An exploration of the complex relationship of socioecologic factors in the treatment and outcomes of acute myocardial infarction in disadvantaged populations.Health Serv Res. 2001; 36: 711-732
- Socioeconomic status and outcome following acute myocardial infarction in elderly patients.Arch Intern Med. 2004; 164: 1128-1133
- Socioeconomic Status: The Missing Link Between Obesity and Diabetes Mellitus?.Curr Diabetes Rev. 2018; 14: 321-326
- Patient socioeconomic status is an independent predictor of operative mortality.Ann Surg. 2010; 252: 552-557
- Association of asian pacific community health organizations (AAPCHO), oregon primary care association (OPCA). the protocol for responding to and assessing patient assets, risks, and experiences (PRAPARE).NACHC, Bethesda, MD2019 (http://www.nachc.org)
- Standardized Screening for Health-Related Social Needs in Clinical Settings: The Accountable Health Communities Screening Tool.NAM Perspectives. 2017; (Discussion Paper, National Academy of Medicine, Washington, DC)https://doi.org/10.31478/201705b
- Back to Basics: Social Determinants of Health.AORN J. 2019; 110: 60-69
- Addressing health literacy in patient decision aids.BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2013; 13 (Suppl 2): S10
- Health literacy and emergency department outcomes: a systematic review.Ann Emerg Med. 2011; 57: 334-345
- Health Literacy in Hand Surgery Patients: A Cross-Sectional Survey.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2015; 40: 798-804
- Limited literacy in older people and disparities in health and healthcare access.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006; 54: 770-776
- The association of health literacy with cervical cancer prevention knowledge and health behaviors in a multiethnic cohort of women.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 186: 938-943
- Relationship of functional health literacy to patients' knowledge of their chronic disease. A study of patients with hypertension and diabetes.Arch Intern Med. 1998; 158: 166-172
- The influence of health literacy on colorectal cancer screening knowledge, beliefs and behavior.J Natl Med Assoc. 2007; 99: 1105-1112
- Health literacy and cancer screening: a systematic review.Patient Educ Couns. 2014; 94: 149-157
- Association of health literacy with diabetes outcomes.JAMA. 2002; 288: 475-482
- Health Literacy and Shared Decision-making: Exploring the Relationship to Enable Meaningful Patient Engagement in Healthcare.J Gen Intern Med. 2021; 36: 521-524
- Physician overestimation of patient literacy: a potential source of health care disparities.Patient Educ Couns. 2007; 66: 119-122
- New technologies, new disparities: The intersection of electronic health and digital health literacy.Int J Cardiol. 2019; 292: 280-282
- Addressing Health Literacy in Patient Decision Aids: An Update from the International Patient Decision Aid Standards.Med Decis Making. 2021; (272989X211011101)
- Identifying the unmet needs of breast cancer patients post-primary treatment: the Cancer Survivor Profile (CSPro).J Cancer Survivor. 2015; 9: 137-160
- Comparison of an Artificial Intelligence-Enabled Patient Decision Aid vs Educational Material on Decision Quality, Shared Decision-Making, Patient Experience, and Functional Outcomes in Adults With Knee Osteoarthritis: A Randomized Clinical Trial.JAMA Netw Open. 2021; 4e2037107
- Use of a validated algorithm to judge the appropriateness of total knee arthroplasty in the United States: a multicenter longitudinal cohort study.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2014; 66: 2134-2143
- Defining Quality in Hand Surgery From the Patient's Perspective: A Qualitative Analysis.J Hand Surg Am. 2019; 44: 311-320
- The Patient Perspective on Patient-Reported Outcome Measures Following Elective Hand Surgery: A Convergent Mixed-Methods Analysis.J Hand Surg Am. 2021; 46 (153 e1-e11)
- Goal attainment scaling (GAS) in rehabilitation: a practical guide.Clin Rehabil. 2009; 23: 362-370
- Meaningful Clinical Applications of Patient-Reported Outcome Measures in Orthopaedics.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2021; 103: 84-91
- Patient-reported outcome measures in spine surgery.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2013; 21: 99-107
- Advanced decision-making using patient-reported outcome measures in total joint replacement.J Orthop Res. 2020; 38: 1414-1422
- Measuring the involvement of patients in shared decision-making: a systematic review of instruments.Patient Educ Couns. 2001; 43: 5-22
- Instruments for evaluating shared medical decision making: a structured literature review.Med Care Res Rev. 2007; 64: 623-649
- Development and Evaluation of the Shared Decision Making Process Scale: A Short Patient-Reported Measure.Med Decis Making. 2021; 41: 108-119
- Decision quality instrument for treatment of hip and knee osteoarthritis: a psychometric evaluation.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2011; 12: 149
- Developing CollaboRATE: a fast and frugal patient-reported measure of shared decision making in clinical encounters.Patient Educ Couns. 2013; 93: 102-107
- International Patient Decision Aid Standards (IPDAS): beyond decision aids to usual design of patient education materials.Health Expect. 2007; 10: 103-107
- Health and illness over time: the trajectory perspective in nursing science.Nurs Res. 2011; 60: S5-14
- The Nordic Back Pain Subpopulation Program: validation and improvement of a predictive model for treatment outcome in patients with low back pain receiving chiropractic treatment.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2005; 28: 381-385
- Pelt CE. The Recovery Curve for the Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System Patient-Reported Physical Function and Pain Interference Computerized Adaptive Tests After Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2018; 33: 2471-2474
- Evaluating the outcome of treatment. Shouldn't We be asking patients if they are better?.J Clin Epidemiol. 2000; 53: 549-553
- Patient-reported outcomes use during orthopaedic surgery clinic visits improves the patient experience.Musculoskeletal Care. 2019; 17: 120-125
Jayakumar P, Bozic KJ, Lee TH. Information Asymmetry: The Untapped Value of the Patient. NEJM Catalyst Innovations in Care Delivery. 2019; October 15.
- Patient-generated health data foundation for personalized collaborative care.Comput Inform Nurs. 2015; 33: 177-180
- Wearable activity sensors and early pain after total joint arthroplasty.Arthroplast Today. 2020; 6: 68-70
- Harnessing Smartphone-Based Digital Phenotyping to Enhance Behavioral and Mental Health.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2016; 41: 1691-1696
- Digital Phenotyping and Patient-Generated Health Data for Outcome Measurement in Surgical Care: A Scoping Review.J Pers Med. 2020; 10: 282
- Patient-generated health data and electronic health record integration: a scoping review.JAMIA Open. 2020; 3: 619-627