- •A case-to-case analysis of the patient-related key points helps the surgeon to reduce the complications after femoral neck fractures (FNF).
- •These key points are: age, timing, comorbidities, bone quality, head vascularization, displacement, intrinsic instability, and comminution.
- •An anatomical reduction followed by a stable fixation is mandatory in order to allow early mobilization, the main goal for elderly patients.
- •Total hip arthroplasty for FNF is gaining popularity even among older patients if previously active and without severe comorbidities.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Fragility fractures in Europe: burden, management and opportunities.Arch Osteoporos. 2020; 15https://doi.org/10.1007/s11657-020-0706-y
- Association of clinical outcomes with surgical repair of hip fracture vs nonsurgical management in nursing home residents with advanced dementia.JAMA Intern Med. 2018; 178: 774-780https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.0743
Bunning T., Dickinson R., Fagan E., Inman D., Johansen A., Judge A., et al. National Hip Fracture Database (NHFD). Annual report September 2018. vol. September. 2018.
- Cemented versus uncemented hemiarthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trails.Medicine (Baltimore). 2019; 98: e14634https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000014634
- Comparing total hip arthroplasty and hemiarthroplasty for the treatment of displaced femoral neck fracture in the active elderly over 75 years old: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized control trials.J Orthop Surg Res. 2020; 15: 215https://doi.org/10.1186/s13018-020-01725-3
- Orthopedic multidimensional prognostic index (ortho-mpi) in the elderly with hip or neck femur fracture: a pilot study.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2014; 58: 101-104https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2013.08.006
- What is the impact of age on reoperation rates for femoral neck fractures treated with internal fixation and hemiarthroplasty? A comparison of hip fracture outcomes in the very elderly population.J Orthop. 2016; 13: 33-39https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jor.2015.12.003
- Not all garden-I and II femoral neck fractures in the elderly should be fixed: effect of posterior tilt on rates of subsequent arthroplasty.J Bone Jt Surg - Am Vol. 2019; 101: 1852-1859https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.18.01256
- Outcomes of elderly patients with nondisplaced or minimally displaced femoral neck fractures treated with internal fixation: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Injury. 2019; 50: 2158-2166https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2019.09.039
- Comparative assessment of early versus delayed surgery to treat proximal T femoral fractures in elderly patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Int J Surg. 2019; 68: 63-71https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsu.2019.06.013
- Epidemiology, treatment and mortality of trochanteric and subtrochanteric hip fractures: data from the Swedish fracture register.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2018; 19: 369https://doi.org/10.1186/s12891-018-2276-3
- Accelerated surgery versus standard care in hip fracture (HIP ATTACK): an international, randomised, controlled trial.Lancet. 2020; 395: 698-708https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30058-1
- Timing of internal fixation of femoral neck fractures. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the final outcome.Injury. 2015; 46: 459-466https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2014.12.025
- Post-fracture avascular necrosis of the femoral head: correlation of experimental and clinical studies.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1980; 152: 49-84
- Arterial topographic anatomy near the femoral head-neck perforation with surgical relevance.J Bone Jt Surg - Am Vol. 2017; 99: 1213-1221https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.16.01386
- The influence of haemarth, rosis on the development of femoral head necrosis following intracapsular femoral neck fractures.Injury. 2002; 33 (Suppl 3:C33-40)https://doi.org/10.1016/s0020-1383(02)00329-7
- Hemarthrosis in undisplaced cervical fractures: tamponade may cause reversible femoral head ischemia.Acta Orthop. 1986; 57: 305-308https://doi.org/10.3109/17453678608994397
- Displaced femoral neck fractures in the young: significance of posterior comminution and raised intracapsular pressure.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2012; 132: 73-79https://doi.org/10.1007/s00402-011-1395-1
- Risk factors associated with osteonecrosis of femoral head after internal fixation of femoral neck fracture:a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2019; 20: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1186/s12891-019-2990-5
- Screw fixation versus hemiarthroplasty for nondisplaced femoral neck fractures in elderly patients: a multicenter randomized controlled trial.J Bone Jt Surg - Am Vol. 2019; 101: 136-144https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.18.00316
- Treatment and displacement affect the reoperation rate for femoral neck fracture trauma.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013; 471: 2691-2702https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-013-3020-9
- Outcomes of internal fixation versus hemiarthroplasty for elderly patients with an undisplaced femoral neck fracture: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Orthop Surg Res. 2019; 14: 1-8https://doi.org/10.1186/s13018-019-1377-5
- Revision surgery occurs frequently after percutaneous fixation of stable femoral neck fractures in elderly patients.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014; 472: 4010-4014https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-014-3957-3
- Results of internal fixation of Pauwels type-3 vertical femoral neck fractures.J Bone Jt Surg Am. 2008; 90: 1654-1659https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.G.01353
- Biomechanical Evaluation of the Femoral Neck System in Unstable Pauwels III Femoral Neck Fractures: a Comparison with the Dynamic Hip Screw and Cannulated Screws.J Orthop Trauma. 2017; 31: 131-137https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0000000000000739
- Trabecular bone strength is not an independent predictive factor for dynamic hip screw migration–a prospective multicenter cohort study.J Orthop Res. 2015; 33: 1680-1686https://doi.org/10.1002/jor.22934
- The influence of local bone density on the outcome of one hundred and fifty proximal humeral fractures treated with a locking plate.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014; 96: 1026-1032https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.M.00028
- Hemiarthroplasty for femoral neck fracture in the elderly surgeon and hospital volume-related outcomes.J Arthroplasty. 2005; 20: 503-508https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2004.03.025
- Does surgeon volume for total hip arthroplasty affect outcomes after hemiarthroplasty for femoral neck fracture?.Am J Orthop. 2010; 39 (Belle Mead NJ)E84-9
- Hip fracture outcomes: does surgeon or hospital volume really matter?.J Trauma. 2009; 66: 809-814https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e31816166bb
- The impact of surgeon volume and hospital volume on postoperative mortality and morbidity after hip fractures: a systematic review.Int J Surg. 2018; 54: 316-327https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsu.2017.10.072
- Fracture fixation in the operative management of hip fractures (FAITH): an international, multicentre, randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2017; 389 (1519–27)https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(17)30066-1
- Management of young femoral neck fractures: is there a consensus?.Injury. 2015; 46: 435-440https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2014.11.028
- Operative treatment of femoral neck fractures in patients between the ages of fifteen and fifty years.J Bone Jt Surg Am. 2004; 86: 1711-1716https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-200408000-00015
- Hemiarthroplasty versus total arthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures in the elderly: meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2020; 140: 1695-1704https://doi.org/10.1007/s00402-020-03409-3
- Total hip arthroplasty or hemiarthroplasty for hip fracture.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 2199-2208https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1906190
Blauth, M.; Kates, S.L.; Nicholas J.A.. Osteoporotic Fracture Care. Medical and Surgical Management. Stuttgart: Georg Thieme Verlag; 2019. 10.1055/b-006-161123.
- Postoperative weight-bearing after a fracture of the femoral neck or an intertrochanteric fracture.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1998; 80: 352-356https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-199803000-00007
- Results and complications of femoral neck fractures.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1980; : 162-172
- Evidence based update: open versus closed reduction.Injury. 2015; 46: 467-473https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2014.10.011
- Femoral neck shortening in adult patients under the age of 55 years is associated with worse functional outcomes: analysis of the prospective multi-center study of hip fracture outcomes in China (SHOC).Injury. 2017; 48: 1837-1842https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2017.06.013
- Femoral neck shortening after fracture fixation with multiple cancellous screws: incidence and effect on function.J Trauma. 2008; 64: 163-169https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ta.0000241143.71274.63
- The complications of displaced intracapsular fractures of the hip. The effect of screw positioning and angulation on fracture healing.J Bone Jt Surg Br. 2005; 87: 632-634https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.87B5.15237
- Sliding hip screws versus cancellous screws for femoral neck fractures: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2019; 29: 1383-1393https://doi.org/10.1007/s00590-019-02460-0
- Predictable healing of femoral neck fractures treated with intraoperative compression and length-stable implants.J Trauma. 2010; 69: 142-147https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e3181bba236
- Biomechanical analysis of augmented plate fixation for the treatment of vertical shear femoral neck fractures.J Orthop Trauma. 2015; 29: 144-150https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0000000000000205
- Augmentation by cerclage wire improves fixation of vertical shear femoral neck fractures—a biomechanical analysis.Injury. 2016; 47: 2081-2086https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2016.07.030
- Higher stability and more predictive fixation with the Femoral Neck System versus Hansson Pins in femoral neck fractures Pauwels II.J Orthop Transl. 2020; 24: 88-95https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jot.2020.06.002
- A comparison of risk of dislocation and cause-specific revision between direct anterior and posterior approach following elective cementless total hip arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2020; 35: 1651-1657https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2020.01.033
- Hip arthroplasty for the treatment of displaced fractures of the femoral neck in elderly patients.Bone Joint J. 2016; (98-B:291–7)https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.98B3.36515
- In total hip arthroplasty via the direct anterior approach, a dual-mobility cup prevents dislocation as effectively in hip fracture as in osteoarthritis.Int Orthop. 2017; 41: 491-497https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-016-3332-y
- Outcomes of dual mobility acetabular cups in total hip arthroplasty patients.Surg Technol Int. 2019; 34: 367-370
- More re-operations after uncemented than cemented hemiarthroplasty used in the treatment of displaced fractures of the femoral neck: An observational study of 11 116 hemiarthroplasties from a national register.J Bone Jt Surg Br. 2012; 94 B: 1113-1119https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.94B8.29155
- Contemporary cemented versus uncemented hemiarthroplasty for the treatment of displaced intracapsular hip fractures: a meta-analysis of forty-two thousand forty-six hips.Int Orthop. 2019; 43: 1715-1723https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-019-04339-5
- Cemented versus uncemented hemi-arthroplasty for femoral neck fractures in elderly patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Med (United States). 2020; 99: 1-10https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000019039