- •A new technique for percutaneous repair of AT: a percutaneous oval forceps suture-guiding method with anchor nails.
- •Several advantages of this technique are as follows: 1) it is possible to repair AATR within 2 cm from the calcaneal tuberosity; 2) the operative procedure is simple and quick; 3) American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS) score and Achilles tendon total rupture score (ATRS) showed good clinical outcome; 4) overall complication rate was 6.2% with one sural nerve damage and one fusiform thickening.
Acute Achilles tendon rupture (AATR) is a common injury of the foot and ankle. So far, the optimal management of AATR remains controversial. The target of the present retrospective study was to describe a new operative technique for percutaneous repair of AATR and evaluate efficacy of the technique.
In the present study, 32 patients were enrolled with AATR treated with the percutaneous oval forceps suture-guiding method with anchor nails from Jan 2014 to Jan 2017. The operation duration and length of incision were collected. The functional outcomes were evaluated using the American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS) score, Achilles tendon total rupture score (ATRS), range of motion (ROM) of the ankle and plantar flexion strength ratio at the last follow-up. The postoperative sports activity level and complications were also recorded.
The mean operation duration and length of incision were 24.5 min and 2.0 cm. Whilst patient reported outcome questionnaires like AOFAS and ATRS showed good results, ROM of the ankle was quite low with only 16.5 degrees. Plantar flexion strength ratio was lower post surgery, as well. As for the postoperative sports activity level: 26/32 cases (81.3%) returned to former sports activity level; 4/32 cases (12.5%) showed a decline in sports activity level; 2/32 cases (6.2%) gave up on sports. The overall complication rate was 6.2%, one sural nerve damage and one fusiform thickening were found in the study.
The percutaneous oval forceps suture-guiding method with anchor nails is a new considerable surgery method with adequate healing rates and an alternative to existing surgical procedures.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Treatment of acute achilles tendon ruptures a meta-analysis of randomized, controlled trials.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005; 87: 2202-2210
- Treatment of acute and closed Achilles tendon ruptures by minimally invasive tenocutaneous suturing.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2013; 52: 143-146
- Comparison of Semi-Invasive "Internal Splinting" and Open Suturing Techniques in Achilles Tendon Rupture Surgery.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2016; 55: 965-970
- Acute Achilles Tendon Ruptures: Efficacy of Conservative and Surgical (Percutaneous, Open) Treatment-A Randomized, Controlled, Clinical Trial.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2019; 58: 1229-1234
- Treatment of Acute Achilles Tendon Rupture.Clin Orthop Surg. 2020; 12: 1-8
- Favorable outcome of percutaneous repair of achilles tendon ruptures in the elderly.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010; 468: 1039-1046
- Is percutaneous repair better than open repair in acute Achilles tendon rupture?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012; 470: 998-1003
- Acute Achilles tendon rupture: Mini-incision repair with double-Tsuge loop suture vs. open repair with modified Kessler suture.Surgeon. 2015; 13: 207-212
- Prospective randomized clinical trial of open operative, minimally invasive and conservative treatments of acute Achilles tendon tear.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2021;
- Long-Term Results of Mini-Open Repair Technique in the Treatment of Acute Achilles Tendon Rupture: A Prospective Study.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2016; 55: 971-975
- Acute Achilles Tendon Ruptures: An Update on Treatment.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2017; 25 (2nd): 23-31
- Open versus percutaneous repair in the treatment of acute Achilles tendon rupture: a randomized prospective study.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2008; 16: 204-209
- Percutaneous repair of acute ruptures of the tendo Achillis.Surgeon. 2013; 11: 14-19
- Percutaneous Tenolig((R)) repair under intra-operative ultrasonography guidance in acute Achilles tendon rupture.Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2014; 100: 925-930
- A comparative study of innovative percutaneous repair and open repair for acute Achilles tendon rupture: Innovative usage of intraoperative ultrasonography.J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2020; 282309499020910274
- Open versus minimally-invasive surgery for Achilles tendon rupture: a meta-analysis study.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2020;
- Clinical Rating Systems for the Ankle-Hindfoot, Midfoot, Hallux, and Lesser Toes.Foot Ankle Int. 1997; 18: 187-188
- Reliability and validity of the subjective component of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society clinical rating scales.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2007; 46: 65-74
- The Achilles tendon Total Rupture Score (ATRS): development and validation.Am J Sports Med. 2007; 35: 421-426
- Percutaneous repair of acute closed ruptured achilles tendon: a new technique.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1977; : 247-255
- Limited open repair of achilles tendon ruptures a technique with a new instrument and findings of a prospective multicenter study.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2002; 84: 161-170
- A combined open and percutaneous technique for repair of tendo Achillis. Comparison with open repair.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1995; 77: 60-63
- An uncomplicated method for minimally invasive achilles tendon repair.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2010; 49: 208-211
- The improved oval forceps suture-guiding method for minimally invasive Achilles tendon repair.Injury. 2018; 49: 1228-1232
- Knotless Repair of Achilles Tendon Rupture in an Elite Athlete: Return to Competition in 18 Weeks.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2017; 56: 121-124
- Treatment of acute achilles tendon rupture with the panda rope bridge technique.Injury. 2018; 49: 726-729
- Subcutaneous Achilles tendon rupture: A comparison between open technique and mini-invasive tenorrhaphy with Achillon ® suture system.Injury. 2016; 47: 2591-2595
- Grävare Silbernagel K. Return to play post-Achilles tendon rupture: a systematic review and meta-analysis of rate and measures of return to play.Br J Sports Med. 2016; 50: 1325-1332
- Minimally Invasive Versus Open Repair for Acute Achilles Tendon Rupture Meta-Analysis Showing Reduced Complications, with Similar Outcomes, After Minimally Invasive Surgery.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2018; 100: 1969-1981
Published online: September 11, 2021
Accepted: September 7, 2021
☆The corresponding author is Jianjun Hong. Gaole Dai and Yijing Zheng contributed equally to this study and should be considered co-first authors
© 2021 Published by Elsevier Ltd.