- •In this study, in the flat-wedge group, we observed a higher rate of complex fracture patterns (52.2% versus 8.2%), loosened stems (78.2% versus 60.4%) and a subsequent procedure involving stem revision (69.6% versus 50.0%) was more frequently required.
- •In multivariate logistic regression analysis, type I, flat-wedge stem was the only independent risk factor for a complex fracture pattern (aOR 23.60, 95% CI: 6.54–85.16).
- •In the clinical setting, physicians might anticipate periprosthetic fractures that occurred in type 1 stems to have a more complex fracture pattern and revision surgery, which ultimately results in increased overall stress to the patient.
Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Long-term outcome and risk factors of proximal femoral fracture in uncemented and cemented total hip arthroplasty in 2551 hips.J Arthroplasty. 2006; 21: 53-59
- Uncemented and cemented primary total hip arthroplasty in the Swedish Hip Arthroplasty Register.Acta Orthop. 2010; 81: 34-41
- High early failure rate after cementless hip replacement in the octogenarian.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014; 472: 2779-2789
- Failure rate of cemented and uncemented total hip replacements: register study of combined Nordic database of four nations.BMJ. 2014; 348: f7592
- Perioperative Periprosthetic Femur Fractures are Strongly Correlated With Fixation Method: an Analysis From the American Joint Replacement Registry.J Arthroplasty. 2019; 34 (S352-S4)
- Periprosthetic femoral fracture within two years after total hip replacement: analysis of 437,629 operations in the nordic arthroplasty register association database.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014; 96: e167
- Predictors of Perioperative Vancouver B Periprosthetic Femoral Fractures Associated With the Direct Anterior Approach to Total Hip Arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2019;
- Risk factors for post-operative periprosthetic fractures following primary total hip arthroplasty with a proximally coated double-tapered cementless femoral component.Bone Joint J. 2017; 99-B: 451-457
- Epidemiology of periprosthetic fracture of the femur in 32 644 primary total hip arthroplasties: a 40-year experience.Bone Joint J. 2016; 98-B: 461-467
- Cementless femoral fixation in total hip arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011; 93: 500-509
- Prevalence of Postoperative Periprosthetic Femur Fractures Between Two Different Femoral Component Designs Used in Direct Anterior Total Hip Arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2019; 34: 3074-3079
- Surgeon’s experience level and risk of reoperation after hip fracture surgery: an observational study on 30,945 patients in the Norwegian Hip Fracture Register 2011-2015.Acta Orthop. 2018; 89: 496-502
- Structural and cellular assessment of bone quality of proximal femur.Bone. 1993; 14: 231-242
- Breaking Bad: a Comparative Descriptive Analysis of Periprosthetic Fractures Around Cemented and Uncemented Femoral Stems.J Arthroplasty. 2019; 34: 1783-1786
- Treatment and outcomes of Vancouver type B periprosthetic femoral fractures.Bone Joint J. 2020; 102-B: 293-300
- Load transfer and periprosthetic fractures after total hip arthoplasty: comparison of periprosthetic fractures of femora implanted with cementless distal-load or proximal-load femoral components and measurement of the femoral strain at the time of implantation.Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2018; 54: 137-142
- Predictors of falls in elderly people during rehabilitation after hip fracture–who is at risk of a second one?.Z Gerontol Geriatr. 2003; 36: 16-22
- Lunbeck Foundation Centre for Fast-track H, Increased risk of intraoperative and early postoperative periprosthetic femoral fracture with uncemented stems.Acta Orthop. 2017; 88: 390-394
- A randomized controlled trial of cemented versus cementless arthroplasty in patients with a displaced femoral neck fracture: a four-year follow-up.Bone Joint J. 2018; 100-B: 1087-1093
- Higher risk of reoperation for bipolar and uncemented hemiarthroplasty.Acta Orthop. 2012; 83: 459-466
- Posterior approach and uncemented stems increases the risk of reoperation after hemiarthroplasties in elderly hip fracture patients.Acta Orthop. 2014; 85: 18-25
- Cemented or Uncemented Hemiarthroplasty for Femoral Neck Fracture? Data from the Norwegian Hip Fracture Register.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2020; 478: 90-100