- •This study demonstrate that the rate of unsuspected infection is high after tibial open fracture.
- •The high risk of late infection after grafting a nonunion with a standard graft is confirmed by this study.
- •An important finding of this study is the reduced rate of late infection in patients treated with early implantation of bone marrow concentrate graft.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The devastating effects of tibial non-union on health-related quality of life.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013; 95 (Dec 18): 2170-2176
- Fracture-related infection: a consensus on definition from an international expert group.Injury. 2018; 49 (Mar): 505-510
- Morbidity of graft harvesting versus bone marrow aspiration in cell regenerative therapy.Int Orthop. 2014; 38 (Sep): 1855-1860
- Percutaneous autologous bone-marrow grafting for nonunions. Influence of the number and concentration of progenitor cells.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005; 87 (Jul): 1430-1437
- Fixed intramedullary nailing and percutaneous autologous concentrated bone-marrow grafting can promote bone healing in humeral-shaft fractures with delayed union.Injury. 2010; 41: 563-567
- Percutaneous autologous bone marrow injections for delayed or non-union of bones.J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2013; 21: 60-64
- The effect of autologous concentrated bone marrow grafting on the healing of femoral shaft non-unions after locked intramedullary nailing.Injury. 2014; 45: S7-S13
- Cellular therapies for the treatment of non-union: the past, present and future.Injury. 2013; 44 (Jan): S46-S49https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-1383(13)70011-1
- Progenitor cells and tissue repair: more to come?.Injury. 2016; 47 (Dec): S1-S2https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-1383(16)30833-6
- Local transplantation of bone marrow concentrated granulocytes precursors can cure without antibiotics infected nonunion of polytraumatic patients in absence of bone defect.Int Orthop. 2016; 40 (Nov): 2331-2338
- Recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2: a randomized trial in open tibial fractures treated with reamed nail fixation.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011; 93 (May 4): 801-808https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.I.01763
- Single-stage treatment of infected tibial non-unions and osteomyelitis with bone marrow granulocytes precursors protecting bone graft.Int Orthop. 2018; 42 (Oct): 2443-2450
- Current Concepts Review: the management of open fractures.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1990; 72: 299-304
- Separation of leukocytes from blood and bone marrow.Scand. J. Clin. Lab. Invest. 1968; 2T: 1-106
- Stimulation by human placental conditioned medium of hemopoietic colony formation by human marrow cells.Blood. 1977; 49: 573-583
- Supercharging allografts with mesenchymal stem cells in the operating room during hip revision.Int Orthop. 2014; 38 (Oct): 2033-2044
- Treatment of open fractures of the shaft of the tibia.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2001; 83: 62-68
- Antibacterial effect of human mesenchymal stem cells is mediated in part from secretion of the antimicrobial peptide LL-37.Stem Cells. 2010; 28 (December): 2229-2238
- Mesenchymal stem cells augment the anti-bacterial activity of neutrophil granulocytes.PLoS ONE. 2014; 9 (Sep 19)
This paper is part of a Supplement supported by the European Society of Tissue Regeneration in Orthopaedics and Traumatology (ESTROT).