- •There is an increased incidence of bone metastases due to improved of cancer patients survival.
- •“Oligometastases” represents a disease with metastatic localisations in a limited number (3 - 5) in the same body district.
- •Survival of oligometastatic patients is similar to patients with a single metastasis, requiring similar treatment.
- •Optimal implants survival curves should stay above the curves of patients survival.
- •Oligometastatic patients need to be treated with resection and reconstruction instead of using intralesional procedures such as nailing.
Patients and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Metastatic carcinoma of the long bones.Am Fam Physician. 2007; 76: 1489-1494
- The bone microenvironment in metastasis; what is special about bone?.Cancer and Metastasis Reviews. 2008 Mar 1; 27: 41-55
- Mechanisms of bone metastasis.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 1655-1664
- Cancer Statistics.CA Cancer J Clin. 1998; 48: 6-29
- Incidence, location and diagnostic evaluation of metastatic bone disease.Orthop Clin North Am. 2000; 31: 515-528
- Estimated number of prevalent cases of metastatic bone disease in the US adult population.J Clin Epidemiol. 2012; 4: 87
- SPECT-CT: applications in musculoskeletal radiology.Br J Radiol. 2013 Nov1031; 8620120519
- Diagnosis of bone metastases: a meta-analysis comparing 18 FDG PET, CT, MRI and bone scintigraphy.Eur Radiol. 2011; 21: 2604-2617
- Clinical features of metastatic bone disease and risk of skeletal morbidity.Clin Cancer Res. 2006; 12 (6243s–9s)
- Impending fracture: a difficult diagnosis.Injury. 2014; 45: S138-S141
- Metastatic disease in long bones: a proposed scoring system for diagnosing impending pathologic fractures.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1989; 249: 256-264
- Skeletal complications in cancer patients with bone metastases.Int. J. Urol. 2016; 23: 825-832
- Multidisciplinary approach to the treatment of bone metastases: osteo-Oncology Center, a new organizational model.Tumori. 2009; 95: 291-297
- Multidisciplinary approach for bone metastasis: a review.Cancers (Basel). 2018; 10: 156
- Can we estimate short- and intermediate-term survival in patients undergoing surgery for metastatic bone disease?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2017; 475: 1252-1261
- How do we estimate survival? External validation of a tool for survival estimation in patients with metastatic bone disease—Decision analysis and comparison of three international patient populations.BMC Cancer. 2015; 15: 424
- The relative accuracy of the clinical estimation of the duration of life for patients with end of life cancer.Cancer. 1999; 86 (1): 170-176
- How accurate are physicians' clinical predictions of survival and the available prognostic tools in estimating survival times in terminally III cancer patients? A systematic review.Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2001; 13: 209-218
- Prognostic role of en-bloc resection and late onset of bone metastasis in patients with bone-seeking carcinomas of the kidney, breast, lung, and prostate: SSG study on 672 operated skeletal metastases.J Surg Oncol. 2014; 110: 360-365
- Surgical therapy of bone metastases.Semin Oncol. 2007; 34: 206-214
- Surgical management of bone metastases: quality of evidence and systematic review.Ann Surg Oncol. 2014; 21: 4081-4089
- Surgical management of metastatic long bone fractures: principles and techniques.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2014; 22: 90-100
- Metastasi ossee: strategie di trattamento.GIOT. 2012; 38: 177-187
- Surgical management of secondary neoplastic fractures about the hip.Orthop Clin North Am. 1974; 5: 887-901
- The treatment of metastases in the appendicular skeleton.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2001; 83: 471-481
- Surgical treatment in bone metastases in the appendicular skeleton.Rev Esp Cir Ortop Traumatol. 2018; 62: 185-189
- Treatment of pathologic fractures of the proximal femur.Injury. 2018; 49: S77-S83
- What is the survival and function of modular reverse total shoulder prostheses in patients undergoing tumor resections in whom an innervated deltoid muscle can be preserved.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2019; 477: 2495-2507
- Reconstruction of the proximal femur with a modular resection prosthesis.Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2016; 26: 415-421
- Megaprosthesis of the knee in tumor and revision surgery.Acta Biomed. 2017; 88: 129-138
- Pathologic fractures of the distal femur: current concepts and treatment options.J Surg Oncol. 2018; 118: 883-890
- Endoprosthetic treatment is more durable for pathologic proximal femur fractures.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012; 470: 920-926
- Surgical treatment of skeletal metastatic lesions of the proximal femur: endoprosthesis or reconstruction nail?.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2005; 87: 1653-1657
- What are the functional results and complications with long stem hemiarthroplasty in patients with metastases to the proximal femur?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2017; 475: 745
- Survival analysis of patients with femoral metastases.J Surg Oncol. 2012; 105: 135-141
- Clinical and functional comparison of endoprosthetic replacement with intramedullary nailing for treating proximal femur metastasis.Chin J Cancer Res. 2016; 28: 209-214
- Failures after operation for skeletal metastatic lesions of long bones.Clinical Orthopaedics and Related ResearchⓇ. 1999; 358: 128-139
- Factors associated with local recurrence after surgery for bone metastasis to the extremities.J Surg Oncol. 2018; 117: 797-804
- Failure mode classification for tumor endoprostheses: retrospective review of five institutions and a literature review.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011; 93: 418-429
- Surgery of primary non-small cell lung cancer with oligometastasis: analysis of 172 cases.J Thorac Dis. 2018; 10: 6540-6546
- Weichselbaum RR. Oligometastases.J.Clin. Oncol. 1995; 13: 8-10
- Oligometastases: defined by prognosis and evaluated by cure.Cancer Treat Commun. 2015; 3: 1-6
- Oligometastatic state predicts a favorable outcome for renal cell carcinoma patients with bone metastasis under the treatment of sunitinib.Oncotarget. 2016; 7: 26879-26887
- Colorectal cancer pulmonary oligometastases: pooled analysis and construction of a clinical lung metastasectomy prognostic model.Ann.Oncol. 2012; 23: 2649-2655
- Role of stereotactic body radiotherapy for oligometastasis from colorectal cancer.World J. Gastroenterol. 2014; 20: 4220-4229
- Treatment outcomes of stereotactic ablative radiation therapy for non-spinal bone metastases: focus on response assessment and treatment indication.Br J Radiol. 2019; 9220181048
- Stereotactic radiotherapy in oligometastatic cancer.Chin Clin Oncol. 2017; 6: S16
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
☆Each author certifies that the research has been performed following the ethical standards in the 1964 Declaration of Helsinki. Each author certifies that all patients or their relatives gave written informed consent to be included in scientific studies at hospital admission. Since this analysis is a retrospective review of our routine clinical practice with anonymised data, Research Ethics Committee Approval was not necessary for our Institution.
†This paper is part of a supplement supported by AOTrauma Italy.