- •Open reduction internal fixation is sometimes impossible in distal humerus fractures in adults due to extensive comminution and bone loss.
- •Elbow Hemi-Arthroplasty (EHA) is a reasonable option for unreconstructible intra-articular distal humerus fractures in patients over the fifth decade.
- •The implant removes complications related to the ulnar component such as wear of the hinge or aseptic loosening of the ulnar component. It does bring potential disadvantages such as risk of instability with possible wear and progressive joint osteoarthrosis.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Distal humerus hemiarthroplasty of the elbow for comminuted distal humeral fractures in the elderly patient.J Trauma. 2011; 71: 635-642
- Unreconstructable acute distal humeral fractures and their sequelae treated with distal humeral hemiarthroplasty: a two-year to eleven-year follow-up.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2013; 22 (Epub 2013 Sep 20): 1710-1723https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2013.06.012
- The clinical outcome and activity levels of patients under 55 years treated with distal humeral hemiarthroplasty for distal humeral fractures: minimum 2-year follow-up.Shoulder Elbow. 2016; 8 (OctEpub 2016 Jul 18): 264-270https://doi.org/10.1177/1758573216660958
- Hemiarthroplasty of the distal humerus for acute and chronic complex intra-articular injuries.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2014; 23 (FebEpub 2013 Jun 18): 265-272https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2013.05.007
- Hemiarthroplasty for the Treatment of Distal Humerus Fractures.Short-term Clin Results Orthopedics. 2012; 35: 1042-1045https://doi.org/10.3928/01477447-20121120-06
- Distal humerus prosthetic hemiarthroplasty: midterm results.Strategies Trauma Limb Reconstr. 2015; 10 (Epub 2015 Aug 27): 101-108https://doi.org/10.1007/s11751-015-0229-z
- Hemiarthroplasty for irreparable distal humeral fractures: medium-term follow-up of 42 patients.Bone Joint J. 2015; 97-B: 1377-1384https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.97B10.35421
- Arthroplasty as primary treatment for distal humeral fractures produces reliable results with regards to revisions and adverse events: a registry-based study.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2019; 28 (Epub 2018 Oct 17): e104-e110https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2018.07.035
- Elbow hemiarthroplasty using a "triceps-on" approach for the management of acute distal humeral fractures.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2015; 24: 1178-1186https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2015.04.010
- Hemiarthroplasty for the treatment of distal humeral fractures: midterm clinical results.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2017; 26 (Epub 2016 Nov 30): 389-393https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2016.09.057
- Olsen Good outcome after elbow hemiarthroplasty in active patients with an acute intra-articular distal humeral fracture.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2019; 28: 925-930
- Elbow hemiarthroplasty for the treatment of distal humerus fractures.Orthop Clin North Am. 2020; 51 (AprEpub 2020 Feb 3. Review): 265-277https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ocl.2019.11.009
- humeral hemiarthroplasty: indications, results, and complications. A systematic review.Hand (N Y). 2014; 9 (DecReview): 406-412https://doi.org/10.1007/s11552-014-9681-3
- Distal humeral fractures treated with noncustom total elbow replacement. Surgical technique.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005; 87 (MarSuppl 115743846 Review): 41-50https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.D.02871.PMID
- Outcome after open reduction and internal fixation of capitellar and trochlear fractures.J Bone Jt Surg Am. 2006; 88: 46-54
- Extensive posterior exposure of the elbow. A triceps-sparing approach.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1982; 166: 188-192
- Good outcome after elbow hemiarthroplasty in active patients with an acute intra-articular distal humeral fracture.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2019; 28 (2): 925-930
- Bilaterotricipital approach to the elbow: its application in the osteosynthesis of supracondylar fractures of the humerus in children.Acta Orthop. 1972; 43: 479-490
- The Lateral para-olecranon approach for total elbow arthroplasty.J Hand Surg Am. 2013; 38: 2219-2226
- The Triceps-Reflecting Anconeus Pedicle (TRAP) Approach for distal humeral fractures and nonunions review.Orthop Clin North Am. 2000; 31 (Jan): 91-101
- Elbow hemiarthroplasty for acute and salvage reconstruction of intra-articular distal humerus fractures.Tech Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2005; 6: 87-97
- Landmarks for rotational alignment of the humeral component during elbow arthroplasty.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012; 94: 1794-1800
- The disabilities of the arm, shoulder and hand outcome questionnaire: longitudinal construct validity and measuring selfrated health change after surgery.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2003; : 4-11
- Validity of observer-based aggregate scoring systems as descriptors of elbow pain, function, and disability.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1998; 80: 154-162
- Functional evaluation of the elbow.in: Morrey B The elbow and its disorders. Third ed. W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia2000: 81-82
- The effect of distal humeral hemiarthroplasty on articular contact of the elbow. 29. Clin Biomech, Bristol, Avon2014: 537-544https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2014.03.010 (Epub 2014 Apr 2)
- Does the presence of posterior comminution modify the treatment and prognosis in capitellar and trochlear fractures? Study performed on 45 consecutive patients.Injury. 2018; 49 (NovSuppl): S84-S93https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2018.09.060