- •In infected distal radius non-union with a bone defect free vascularised fibula bone graft constitutes a good option to eradicate the infection, correct the deformity, compensate for the shortening and maintain motion.
- •The procedure was successful in 13 of 15 cases with bone union being achieved at an average of 4 months.
- •Wrist joint range of motion averaged flexion 50°, extension 45° and handgrip was the same as the normal site.
- •Pain was completely relieved in all cases.
Material and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Management of upper limb bone defects using free vascularised osteoseptocutaneous fibular bone graft.Ann Plast Surg. 2013; 71: 503-509
- salvage for failed implant arthroplasty of the wrist.J Hand Surg (AM). 1992; 17: 917-923
- Transarticular bony defects after trauma and sepsis: arthrodesis using vascularised fibular transfer.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1999; 104: 426-434
- Septic arthritis and osteomyelitis of the wrist: reconstruction with a vascularised fibular graft.J Hand Surg (AM). 1999; 24: 243-248
- Vascularised fibular osteocutaneous grafts in the treatment of severely infected wrist arthritis.J Reconstr Microsurg. 2002; 18: 71-75
- Wrist arthrodesis with vascularised fibular grafting.J Recontr Microsurg. 2009; 25: 501-505
- Vascularised fibular graft after excision of giant-cell tumor of the distal radius: wrist arthroplasty versus partial wrist arthrodesis.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002; 110: 112-117
- Functional results following vascularised versus non-vascularised bone grafts for wrist arthrodesis following excision of giant cell tumors.JHS. 2013; 38A: 935-940
- Outcomes of wrist arthroplasty using a free vascularised fibular head graft for Enneking stage II giant cell tumors of the distal radius.Microsurgery. 2013; 33: 112-118
- How to optimize the therapeutic effect of free autogenous fibula graft and wrist arthroplasty for giant cell tumors of distal radius?.Japanese J Clin Onc. 2019; (doi: 10.1093): 1-8
- Wrist joint reconstruction with a vascularised fibula free flap following giant cell tumor excision in the distal radius.J of Plast Surg. 2010; : 313-319
- A system for the surgical staging of musculoskeletal sarcoma.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1980; 153: 106-120
- Broad resection and fibular transposition in the treatment of GCT on radius distal end.Acta Ortop Bras. [online]. 2009; 17: 171-181
- The role of the fibula head flap for joint reconstruction after osteoarticular resections.J. Plastic, Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2014; 67: 617e623
- Epiphyseal transplant: harvesting technique of the proximal fibula based on the anterior tibial artery.Microsurgery. 2005; 25: 284e92
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
☆This paper is part of a Supplement supported by the European Federation of Societies of Microsurgery (EFSM).