- •Treatment of mid-shaft clavicle fractures seems to have shifted from conservative to surgical due to its better reported outcomes.
- •Our study reports the results of a series of 32 mid-shaft clavicle fractures treated with plate and screws and compares them with literature.
- •All patients healed without deformity or non-union, with complete and early functional recovery and returned to pre-injury sport activities.
- •At one year follow-up the mean constant score was 93.8 (SD 4.8) and the mean DASH score was 42 (SD 5.0).
- •Osteosynthesis with plate and screws of mid-shaft clavicle fractures allows not only restoration of the anatomy, but also early recovery of shoulder function.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Fractures and ligamentous injuries of the clavicle and its articulation.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1967; 49: 774-784
- Epidemiology of clavicle fractures.J Shoulder Elb Surg. 2002; 11: 452-456
- Nonunion of the clavicle.J Am Med Assoc. 1960; 172: 1006-1011
- Mid-clavicle fractures in adults: end result study after conservative treatment.J Orthop Trauma. 1998; 12: 572-576
- Shortening of clavicle after fracture. Incidence and clinical significance, a 5-year follow-up of 85 patients.Acta Orthop Scand. 1997; 68: 349-351
- Nonoperative treatment compared with plate fixation of displaced midshaft clavicular fractures. A multicenter, randomized clinical trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007; 89: 1-10
- Outcome of clavicular fracture in 89 patients.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 1986; 105: 337-338
- Can we predict long-term sequelae after fractures of the clavicle based on initial findings? A prospective study with nine to ten years of follow-up.J Shoulder Elb Surg. 2004; 13: 479-486
- Sequelae from clavicular fractures are common: a prospective study of 222 patients.Acta Orthop. 2005; 76: 496-502
- Estimating the risk of nonunion following nonoperative treatment of a clavicular fracture.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004; 86: 1359-1365
- Clavicle aseptic nonunion: is there a place for cortical allogenic strut graft?.Injury. 2017; 48: S60-Ss5
- Treatment of distal clavicle nonunion with and without bone grafting.Injury. 2018; 49: S34-Ss8
- Closed treatment of displaced middle-third fractures of the clavicle gives poor results.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1997; 79: 537-539
- Deficits following nonoperative treatment of displaced midshaft clavicular fractures.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006; 88: 35-40
- Midshaft fractures of the clavicle with a shortening of more than 2 cm predispose to nonunion.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2001; 121: 207-211
- Conservative treatment of fractures at the middle third of the clavicle: the relevance of shortening and clinical outcome.J Shoulder Elb Surg. 2006; 15: 191-194
- Treatment of midclavicular nonunion: comparison of dynamic compression plating and low-contact dynamic compression plating techniques.J Shoulder Elb Surg. 2004; 13: 396-403
- Operative versus nonoperative management of displaced midshaft clavicle fractures: a prospective cohort study.J Orthop Trauma. 2011; 25: 31-38
- Treatment of clavicular aseptic nonunion: comparison of plating and intramedullary nailing techniques.J Trauma. 1998; 45: 512-516
- Treatment of acute midshaft clavicle fractures: systematic review of 2144 fractures: on behalf of the Evidence-Based Orthopaedic Trauma Working Group.J Orthop Trauma. 2005; 19: 504-507
- Treatment of midshaft clavicular delayed and non-unions with anteroinferior locking compression plating.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2010; 130: 159-164
- The comminuted midshaft clavicle fracture: a biomechanical evaluation of plating methods.Clin Biomech (Bristol Avon). 2011; 26: 491-496
- Operative versus nonoperative outcomes of middle-third clavicle fractures: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Orthop Trauma. 2020; 34: e6-e13
- Management of mid-shaft clavicular fractures: comparison between non-operative treatment and plate fixation in 60 patients.Strat Trauma Limb Reconstr. 2017; 12: 11-18
- Comparison of plate osteosynthesis versus non-operative management for mid-shaft clavicle fractures-A prospective study.Injury. 2018; 49: 1104-1107
- Late recurrent peripheral upper limb ischemia after non-union of a clavicle fracture.Injury. 2015; 46: S3-S7https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-1383(15)30035-8