- •In DCO, Ex-fix stabilization is normally followed by a conversion to internal fixation, the optimum timing and method of which are still debated.
- •We wanted to determine whether the timing and the method of conversion one-stage influence the development of infection and non-union.
- •We analysed a series of 94 lower limb closed fractures who underwent DCO then converted to plate or nail, comparing them by timing of conversion.
- •The comparison did not show a significant correlation between timing of conversion within 22 days from DCO and infection or non-union.
- •These findings tell us that lower limb closed fractures can be safely converted to definitive fixation within 22 days from DCO in 1-stage procedure.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- External fixation as a bridge to intramedullary nailing for patients with multiple injuries and with femur fractures: damage control orthopedics.J Trauma. 2000; 48 (discussion 21-3): 613-621
- Damage control resuscitation for patients with major trauma.BMJ (Clin Res ed). 2009; (b1778): 338
- Acute traumatic coagulopathy: initiated by hypoperfusion: modulated through the protein C pathway?.Ann Surg. 2007; 245: 812-818
- The timing of fracture treatment in polytrauma patients: relevance of damage control orthopedic surgery.Am J Surg. 2002; 183: 622-629
- The use of external fixation in the emergency department: applications, common errors, complications and their treatment.EFORT Open Rev. 2020; 5: 204-214
- Intramedullary nailing after external fixation of the femur and tibia: a review of advantages and limits.Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2015; 41: 25-38
- Orthopedic injuries in patients with multiple injuries: results of the 11th trauma update international consensus conference Milan, December 11, 2017.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2020; 88: e53-e76
- Temporary bridging external fixation in distal tibial fracture.Injury. 2014; 45: S58-S63
- Ilizarov external fixator for open fractures of the tibial shaft.Int Orthop. 2003; 27: 303-306
- Does external fixator pin site distance from definitive implant affect infection rate in pilon fractures?.Injury. 2019; 50: 503-507
- External fixation and secondary intramedullary nailing of open tibial fractures. A randomised, prospective trial.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1997; 79: 433-437
- Intramedullary nailing following external fixation in femoral and tibial shaft fractures.J Orthop Trauma. 2005; 19: 140-144
- The risk of local infective complications after damage control procedures for femoral shaft fracture.J Orthop Trauma. 2006; 20: 181-189
- Treatment of distal femur and proximal tibia fractures with external fixation followed by planned conversion to internal fixation.J Trauma. 2008; 64: 736-739
- Early conversion of external fixation to interlocked nailing in open fractures of both bone leg assisted with vacuum closure (VAC) - final outcome.J Clin Diagn Res. 2016; (Rc10-4): 10
- Limits of internal fixation in long-bone fracture.Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2017; 103: S61-Ss6
- Standards for the management of open fractures of the lower limb.Royal Society of Medicine Press Limited, 2009
- Infection after spanning external fixation for high-energy tibial plateau fractures: is pin site-plate overlap a problem?.J Orthop Trauma. 2012; 26: 92-97
- The effects of silver coated external fixation pins.Iowa Orthop J. 2006; 26: 48-53
- Temporary external fixation for the management of complex intra- and periarticular fractures of the lower extremity.J Orthop Trauma. 2002; 16: 678-685
- Factors in pin tract infections.Orthopedics. 1991; 14: 305-308
- Temporary fixation of limbs and pelvis.Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2018; 104: S81-Ss8
- Standards of external fixation in prolonged applications to allow safe conversion to definitive extremity surgery: the Aachen algorithm for acute ex fix conversion.Injury. 2015; 46: S13-S18
- The Masquelet technique in the treatment of a non-infected open complex fracture of the distal tibia with severe bone and soft tissue loss: a case report.Injury. 2018; 49: S58-s62
- External fixation versus conversion to intramedullary nailing for definitive management of closed fractures of the femoral and tibial shaft.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2006; 14: S131-S135
- Fracture and dislocation classification compendium—2018.J Orthop Trauma. 2018; 32: S1-S10
National Healthcare Safety Network CDC. Surgical site infection (SSI) event. Procedure-associated module. http://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/pdfs/pscmanual/9pscssicurrent.pdf.; 2017. p. 9-1 -9-31.
- Surgical priorities in damage control in polytrauma.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2003; 85: 478-483
- Conversion of external fixation to intramedullary nailing for fractures of the shaft of the femur in multiply injured patients.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2000; 82: 781-788
- The impact of lag screw in the healing time of distal tibia fractures treated with minimally invasive plate osteosynthesis: a randomized clinical trial.Injury. 2020;
- Clinical outcome of conversion from external fixation to definitive internal fixation for open fracture of the lower limb.J Orthop Sci. 2019; 24: 888-893
- Infectious complications of damage control orthopedics in war trauma.J Trauma. 2009; 67: 758-761
- Pin tract infection prophylaxis and treatment.Injury. 2019; 50: S45-Ss9
- Safety and efficacy of conversion from external fixation to plate fixation in humeral shaft fractures.J Orthop Trauma. 2010; 24: 414-419
- Risk factors for deep infection in secondary intramedullary nailing after external fixation for open tibial fractures.Injury. 2006; 37: 554-560
- Secondary nailing after external fixation for tibial shaft fracture: risk factors for union and infection. A 55 case series.Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2015; 101: 89-92
- Individual risk factors for deep infection and compromised fracture healing after intramedullary nailing of tibial shaft fractures: a single centre experience of 480 patients.Injury. 2015; 46: 740-745
- Prevalence of long-bone non-unions.Injury. 2007; 38: S3-S9
- The use of a gentamicin-coated titanium nail, combined with RIA system, in the management of non-unions of open tibial fractures: a single centre prospective study.Injury. 2019;
- Does perioperative systemic infection or fever increase surgical infection risks after internal fixation of femur and tibia fractures in an intensive care polytrauma unit?.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2013; 75: 664-668
- External fixation and delayed intramedullary nailing of open fractures of the tibial shaft. A sequential protocol.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1990; 72: 729-735
- A web-based survey to identify current practice in skeletal pin site management.Int Wound J. 2018; 15: 250-257
- Perioperative management of external fixation in staged protocols: an international survey.Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2018; 28: 565-572