- •Contingency plans need to be careful when reallocating resources, and not assume that all trauma presentations will decrease during a State of Emergency.
- •Health problems such as osteoporotic hip fractures may in fact remain stable during the State of Emergency (implementation of stringent lock-down measures for the population).
- •Given that osteoporotic hip fractures are in elderly population with multiple comorbidities, operative delays may increase the risk of mortality as well as of nosocomial infections in this pandemic virus.
- Clinical Characteristics of 138 Hospitalized Patients with 2019 Novel Coronavirus-Infected Pneumonia in Wuhan, China.JAMA. 2020 Feb 7; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Clinical findings in a group of patients infected with the 2019 novel coronavirus (SARS-Cov-2) outside of Wuhan, China: retrospective case series.BMJ. 2020; 368: m606
- Why Novel Coronavirus Fatality is Likely Overestimated Rapid Response to: Clinical findings in a group of patients infected with the 2019 novel coronavirus (SARS-Cov-2) outside of Wuhan, China: retrospective case series.BMJ. 2020; 368: m606
World Health Organization (WHO). Novel Coronavirus (2019- nCoV) situation reports. 2020. https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports (02 April 2020, date last accessed).
Spanish Government. Real Decreto 463/2020, de 14 de marzo, por el que se declara el estado de alarma para la gestión de la situación de crisis sanitaria ocasionada por el COVID-19. 2020. https://boe.es/boe/dias/2020/03/11/pdfs/BOE-A-2020-3434.pdf#BOEn(accessed March 15, 2020; in Spanish).
Clinical guide for the management of trauma and orthopaedic patients during the coronavirus pandemic. 2020. https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wp-content/uploads/sites/52/2020/03/specialty-guide-orthopaedic-trauma-and-coronavirus-v1-16-march-2020.pdf
- Facing Covid-19 in Italy - Ethics, Logistics, and Therapeutics on the Epidemic's Front Line.N Engl J Med. 2020 Mar 18; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Practical Aspects of Otolaryngologic Clinical Services During the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Epidemic: An Experience in Hong Kong.JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2020 Mar 20; ([Epub ahead of print])
- The SARS, MERS and novel coronavirus (COVID-19) epidemics, the newest and biggest global health threats: what lessons have we learned?.Int J Epidemiol. 2020 Feb 22; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Management of Acute Hip Fracture.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 2053-2062
Parmet WE, Sinha MS.Covid-19 — The Law and Limits of Quarantine. N Engl JMar18[Epub ahead of print].
- Telehealth for global emergencies: Implications for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).J Telemed Telecare. 2020 Mar 20; ([Epub ahead of print])
- The Epidemic of Hip Fractures : Are We on the Right Track ?.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e22227
- Osteoporosis in the European Union: medical management, epidemiology and economic burden.A report prepared in collaboration with the International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF) and the European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industry Associations (EFPIA). Arch Osteoporos. 2013; 8: 136
- Forecasting life expectancy, years of life lost, and all-cause and cause-specific mortality for 250 causes of death : reference and alternative scenarios for 2016 – 40 for 195 countries and territories.Lancet. 2018; 392: 2052-2090
- Is operative delay associated with increased mortality of hip fracture patients? Systematic review, meta-analysis, and meta-regression.Can J Anaesth. 2008; 55: 146-154
- Time to Surgery Is Associated with Thirty-Day and Ninety-Day Mortality After Proximal Femoral Fracture: A Retrospective Observational Study on Prospectively Collected Data from the Danish Fracture Database Collaborators.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015; 97: 1333-1339
- Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China : a descriptive study.Lancet. 2020; 395: 507-513
- Total Hip Arthroplasty or Hemiarthroplasty for Hip Fracture.N Engl J Med. 2020; 381: 2199-2208
Despite reductions in the number of trauma emergency visits, workplace accidents, traffic accidents and number of hospital admission, the number of osteoporotic hip fractures remains stable.