- •To make surgery with assisting 3D printing model will decrease the duration of the operation, blood loss volume, fluoroscopy usage, instrumentation time.
- •Both surgery types restored Bohler angle, Gissane angle, calcaneal width and calcaneal facet height after operation significantly (p < 0.0001).
- •To perform the surgery with assisting the 3D model surgery is more beneficial to protect achieved post-op. restoration in long follow-up compared to the conventional surgery.
- •Both surgery types are successful in functional scores at follow-up.
- •Resident doctors have more positive perceptions about 3D model.
- •Using 3D printing technology in open reduction and fixation for calcaneal fractures is a feasible, accurate, and effective technique leading to improved patient-specific preoperative planning and outcome of real reduction.
- •3D printing technique can significantly improve the outcome of calcaneal fracture surgery via providing a better pre-operation plan, and a training platform for residents and surgical teams to completely understand the open reduction and stable internal fixation procedures.
- •A 3D printed model is excellent for the education of junior surgeons.
- •3D models offer insight to a patient's unique anatomy.
Materials & Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Operative versus nonoperative treatment of displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures: A prospective, randomized, controlled multicenter trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013; 95: 1351-1357
- Surgical treatment of displaced intraarticular calcaneal fractures by a minimally invasive technique using a locking nail: A preliminary study.Foot Ankle Surg. 2019; 25: 679-683
- Surgical versus nonsurgical treatment of displaced intra-articular calcaneal fracture: A meta-analysis of current evidence base.Int Orthopaedics. 2012; 36: 1615-1622
- Extensile lateral versus sinus tarsi approach for displaced, intra-articular calcaneal fractures: A meta-analysis.J Orthop Surg Res. 2018; 13: 243
- Minimally invasive fixation for displaced intra-articular fractures of calcaneum: a short-term prospective study on functional and radiological outcome.Musculoskelet Surg. 2019; 103: 181-189
- Interlocking nail fixation for the treatment of displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures.JBJS Essent Surg Tech. 2017; 7: e33
- Intra-operative assessment of fractured articular surfaces in cone beam CT image data.Int J Comput Assist Radiol Surg. 2016; 11: 603-612
- Displaced intra-articular fractures of the calcaneus.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2000; 82: 225-250
- Agreement between Sanders classification of intraarticular calcaneal fractures and assessment during the surgery.Foot Ankle Surg. 2020; 26: 94-97
- Current concepts in the treatment of intra-articular calcaneal fractures: Results of a nationwide survey.Int Orthopaedics. 2008; 32: 711-715
- The “Open-Envelope” Approach: A limited open approach for calcaneal fracture fixation.Indian J Orthop. 2018; 52: 231-238
- Should the Extended Lateral Approach Remain Part of Standard Treatment in Displaced Intra-articular Calcaneal Fractures?.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2018; 57: 1120-1124
- Mini-plate fixation via sinus tarsi approach is superior to cannulated screw in intra-articular calcaneal fractures: A prospective randomized study.J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2018; 262309499018792742
- Intra-operative adjustment of standard planes in C-arm CT image data.Int J Comput Assist Radiol Surg. 2016; 11: 495-504
- 2D and 3D assessment of sustentaculum tali screw fixation with or without Screw Targeting Clamp.Injury. 2017; 48: 2864-2871
- With versus without bone grafts for operative treatment of displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures: A meta-analysis.Int J Surg. 2018; 59: 36-47
- Screw tip augmentation leads to improved primary stability in the minimally invasive treatment of displaced intra-articular fractures of the calcaneus: a biomechanical study.Int Orthop. 2018; 43: 2175-2181
- 3D Printed replica of articular fractures for surgical planning and patient consent: a two years multi-centric experience.3D Print Med. 2015; 2: 2
- Preshaping plates for minimally invasive fixation of calcaneal fractures using a real-size 3D-printed model as a preoperative and intraoperative tool.Foot Ankle Int. 2014; 35: 1231-1236
- Minimally invasive plate osteosynthesis using 3D Printing for shaft fractures of clavicles: technical note.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2014; 134: 1551-1555
- Comparison of traditional surgery and surgery assisted by three dimensional printing technology in the treatment of tibial plateau fractures.Int Orthopaedics. 2017; 41: 1875-1880
- Large osseous defect reconstruction using a custom three-dimensional printed titanium truss implant.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2018; 57: 196-204
- Experimental validation of 3D printed patient-specific implants using digital image correlation and finite element analysis.Comput Biol Med. 2014; 52: 8-17
- Early minimally invasive percutaneous fixation of displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures with a percutaneous angle stable device.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2015; 54: 51-56
- Surgical treatment of displaced intraarticular calcaneus fractures using anatomical lateral frame plate.Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg. 2018; 24: 156-161
- Value of 3D printing for the comprehension of surgical anatomy.Surg. Endosc. 2017; 31: 4102-4110
- Comparison of the conventional surgery and the surgery assisted by 3d printing technology in the treatment of calcaneal fractures.J Invest Surg. 2018; 31: 557-567
- Application of 3D-printing technology in the treatment of humeral intercondylar fractures.Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2018; 104: 83-88
- Displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures: Classification and treatment.Orthopedics. 2017; 40: e921-e929
- 3D surgical printing and pre contoured plates for acetabular fractures.Injury. Injury. 2016; 47: 2507-2511
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of the sinus tarsi and extended lateral approach in the operative treatment of displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures.Foot Ankle Surg. 2019; 25: 580-588
- Value of 3D reconstructions of CT scans for calcaneal fracture assessment.Foot Ankle Int. 2016; 37: 1211-1217
- Effect of sustentaculum screw placement on outcomes of intra-articular calcaneal fracture osteosynthesis: A prospective cohort study using 3D CT.Int J Surg. 2015; 19: 72-77
- Measurement of three-dimensional morphological characteristics of the calcaneus using CT image post-processing.J Foot Ankle Res. 2014; 7: 19
- Intraoperative three-dimensional imagin in calcaneal fracture treatment.Clin Orthop Surg. 2015; 7: 483-489
- 3D Printing Calcaneal fractures: Continuously improving our care by making a complex problem tangible.J Invest Surg. 2018; 31: 568-569
- A paradigm shift in surgical planning and simulation using 3Dgraphy: Experience of first 50 surgeries done using 3D-printed biomodels.Injury. 2017; 48: 2501-2508
- Establishing an optimal trajectory for calcaneotibial K-wire fixation in emergent treatment of unstable ankle fractures.Technol Health Care. 2015; 23: 215-221
- Effects of intra-operative fluoroscopic 3D-imaging on peri-operative imaging strategy in calcaneal fracture surgery.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2017; 137: 1667-1675
- Current and future use of surgical skills training laboratories in orthopaedic resident education: A national survey. 1. Ågren PH, Wretenberg P, Sayed-Noor AS. Operative versus nonoperative treatment of displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures: A prospective, randomized, controlled multicenter trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013; 95: 1351-1357
- Surgical advantages of using 3D patient‑specific models in high‑energy tibial plateau fractures.European Journal of Trauma and Emergency Surgery. 2020; (In press)https://doi.org/10.1007/s00068-020-01378-1
- Three‑Dimensional Printed Anatomical Models Help in Correcting Foot Alignment in Hallux Valgus Deformities.Indian Journal of Orthopaedics. 2020; (In press)https://doi.org/10.1007/s43465-020-00110-w
This paper is part of a Supplement supported by the European Society of Tissue Regeneration in Orthopaedics and Traumatology (ESTROT).