- •Early full weight bearing post-syndesmotic fixation was not associated with early radiographic diastasis at 6 weeks.
- •Early full weight bearing post-syndesmotic fixation was not associated with late radiographic diastasis at 12 weeks.
- •There was no association between immobilization in boot or cast and post-operative diastasis.
- •There is no association with weight bearing status and negative secondary post-operative outcomes.
To analyse whether early post-operative full weight bearing following syndesmotic ankle fixation affected radiographic outcomes suggestive of diastasis.
Retrospective comparative cohort study over a two year period.
Level 1 trauma centre
152 consecutive patients sustaining an unstable ankle fracture requiring syndesmotic stabilisation were included. Exclusions were 49 patients who had trimalleolar fixation without syndesmosis screws, one patient who had concomitant ankle and talar fracture. Five patients were lost to follow up and eleven patients were followed up in other centres. A total of 86 patients were analysed
Protected or full weight bearing.
Main Outcome Measurement
The primary outcome measure was early diastasis. The secondary outcomes were late diastasis, wound complications and re-operation. Analysis of variance was used for the predictor variable of weight bearing status. We assumed a priori that p values of less than 0.05 were significant.
Median age was 36 (IQR 30), with 54 males and 32 females. Median follow up was 12 weeks (IQR 6). There was no significant difference when comparing weight bearing status and change in radiographic measurements intra-operatively compared to 6 and 12 week follow up radiographs (tibiofibular clear space p = 0.799, tibiofibular overlap p = 0.733 and medial clear space p = 0.261).
After surgical stabilization of an unstable syndesmotic injury, full weight bearing did not lead to syndesmotic diastasis in the early post-operative period. Full weight bearing is recommended following ankle fixation which includes syndesmotic fixation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Epidemiology of fractures in England and Wales.Bone. 2001; 29: 517-522
- The treatment of unstable ankle fractures.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1974; 56: 256-262
- Quantitative criteria for prediction of the results after displaced fracture of the ankle.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1983; 65: 667-677
- Surgical treatment of displaced ankle fractures.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1983; : 164-170
- Instability of the distal tibiofibular syndesmosis after bimalleolar and trimalleolar ankle fractures.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1984; 66: 490-503
- The influence of a diastasis screw on the outcome of Weber type-C ankle fractures.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1995; 77: 435-438
- Early weight bearing of malleolar fractures.Acta Orthop Scand. 1986; 57: 526-529
- Early mobilization of operated on ankle fractures. Prospective, controlled study of 40 bimalleolar cases.Acta Orthop Scand. 1993; 64: 95-99
- Ankle performance after ankle fracture: a randomized study of early mobilization.Foot Ankle Int. 1995; 16: 79-83
- Early mobilization of operatively fixed ankle fractures: a systematic review.Foot Ankle Int. 2009; 30: 666-674
- The effect of ankle joint immobilization on lower limb venous flow.Foot Ankle Int. 2015; 36: 18-23
- Audit standards for trauma. BOAST 12 the management of ankle fractures.2016
- Fractures of the ankle. II. Combined experimental-surgical and experimental-roentgenologic investigations.Arch Surg. 1950; 60: 957-985
- Biomechanical comparison of syndesmosis fixation with 3.5- and 4.5-millimeter stainless steel screws.Foot Ankle Int. 2000; 21: 736-741
- Syndesmosis fixation: a comparison of three and four cortices of screw fixation without hardware removal.Foot Ankle Int. 2006; 27: 567-572
- Does position of syndesmotic screw affect functional and radiological outcome in ankle fractures?.Injury. 2005; 36: 1121-1124
- The effects of rotation on radiographic evaluation of the tibiofibular syndesmosis.Foot Ankle Int. 2002; 23: 107-111
- Ligamentous injury of the lower tibiofibular syndesmosis: radiographic evidence.Radiology. 1985; 156: 21-27
- Precise evaluation of the reduction of severe ankle fractures.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1974; 56: 979-993
- Roentgenographic evaluation of the tibiotalar joint.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1977; 59: 874-877
- Observer reliability in ankle radiographic measurements.Foot Ankle Int. 1997; 18: 324-329
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; 33: 159-174
- Normal biomechanics of the foot and ankle.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1985; 7: 91-95
- Injuries to the tibiofibular syndesmosis.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008; 90: 405-410
- Comparison study of two surgical options for distal tibia fracture-minimally invasive plate osteosynthesis vs. Open reduction and internal fixation.Int Orthop. 2011; 35: 737-742
- Treatment of syndesmotic disruptions of the ankle with bioabsorbable screw fixation.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2002; 84-A: 26-31
- Ankle syndesmotic injury.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2007; 15: 330-339
- Tightrope fixation of ankle syndesmosis injuries: clinical outcome, complications and technique modification.Injury. 2012; 43: 838-842
- Screw fixation of the syndesmosis: a cadaver model comparing stainless steel and titanium screws and three and four cortical fixation.Injury. 2005; 36: 60-64
- Results of operative treatment of displaced external rotation-abduction fractures of the ankle.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1985; 67: 1066-1074
- Functional treatment and early weightbearing after an ankle fracture: a prospective study.J Orthop Trauma. 2006; 20: 108-114
- Management of distal tibio-fibular syndesmotic injuries: a snapshot of current practice.Acta Orthop Belg. 2008; 74: 365-369
- Injuries to the distal lower extremity syndesmosis.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 1997; 5: 172-181
- Malleolar fractures with ankle joint instability—experience with the positioning screw.Unfallchirurgie. 1993; 19: 307-312
- Syndesmotic screw fixation in Weber C ankle injuries—should the screw be removed before weight bearing?.Injury. 2006; 37: 891-898
- Effect of the syndesmotic screw on ankle motion.Foot Ankle. 1989; 10: 17-24
- Outcome and complications of treatment of ankle diastasis with tightrope fixation.Injury. 2009; 40: 1204-1206
- Outcome after fixation of ankle fractures with an injury to the syndesmosis: the effect of the syndesmosis screw.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2009; 91: 1069-1073
- Epidemiology of ankle fractures. A prospective population-based study of 212 cases in Aalborg, Denmark.Acta Orthop Scand. 1998; 69: 48-50
- Early weight bearing of displaced ankle fractures.Acta Orthop Scand. 1987; 58: 535-538
- A comparative study of early motion and immediate plaster splintage after internal fixation of unstable fractures of the ankle.Injury. 1993; 24: 529-530
- Postoperative treatment of internally fixed ankle fractures: a prospective randomised study.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1996; 78: 395-399
- Early mobilization of ankle fractures after open reduction and internal fixation.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1991; : 152-156
- Immediate unprotected weight-bearing of operatively treated ankle fractures.Acta Orthop Belg. 2007; 73: 360-365
Published online: February 20, 2019
© 2019 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.