- •We conducted a prospective trial of 100 patients treated with sliding hip screws for unstable trochanteric fractures randomized with or without a Trochanteric Support Plate (TSP).
- •Trochanteric support plates minimally reduced fracture subsidence in unstable trochanteric fractures in our study.
- •We found no correlation between subsidence and our measurement of pain and function in unstable trochanteric fractures.
- •This minimal reduction of subsidence seems clinically irrelevant.
Background and purpose
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
- Trochanteric hip fractures. Fixation failure commoner with femoral medialization, a comparison of 101 cases.Acta Orthop Scand. 1996; 67: 329-332
- Sliding hip screws: modes of failure.Injury. 1989; 20: 227-231
- Trochanteric fractures at Trondheim University 2005-2006.Oral and poster presentation at Norwegian Orth Assoc annual meeting 2008]. 2008; (Available from: http://docplayer.me/6313499-Hostmoteboken-hostmotet-i-norsk-ortopedisk-forening-vitenskapelig-program-og-abstrakter-22-24-oktober-2008.html)
- Integrity of the lateral femoral wall in intertrochanteric hip fractures: an important predictor of a reoperation.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007; 89: 470-475
- Trochanter stabilising plate improves treatment outcomes in AO/OTA 31-A2 intertrochanteric fractures with critical thin femoral lateral walls.Injury. 2015; 46: 1047-1053
- Clinical results using the trochanter stabilizing plate (TSP): the modular extension of the dynamic hip screw (DHS) for internal fixation of selected unstable intertrochanteric fractures.J Orthop Trauma. 1998; 12: 392-399
- Dynamic hip screw with trochanteric stabilizing plate in the treatment of unstable proximal femoral fractures: a comparative study with the Gamma nail and compression hip screw.J Orthop Trauma. 1998; 12: 241-248
- Dynamic hip screw with trochanteric stablization plate fixation of unstable inter-trochanteric fractures: a prospective study of functional and radiological outcomes.J Clin Diagn Res. 2016; 10: RC06-RC08
- Sliding hip screw versus the Targon PF nail in the treatment of trochanteric fractures of the hip: a randomised trial of 600 fractures.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2012; 94: 391-397
- Sliding hip screw versus the Targon PFT nail for trochanteric hip fractures: a randomised trial of 400 patients.Bone Joint J. 2017; 99–B: 1210-1215
- Gamma and other cephalocondylic intramedullary nails versus extramedullary implants for extracapsular hip fractures in adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; (CD000093)
- Fixation of intertrochanteric fractures of the femur. A randomised prospective comparison of the gamma nail and the dynamic hip screw.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1991; 73: 330-334
- TRIGEN INTERTAN intramedullary nail versus sliding hip screw: a prospective, randomized multicenter study on pain, function, and complications in 684 patients with an intertrochanteric or subtrochanteric fracture and one year of follow-up.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013; 95: 200-208
Norwegian National Hip Fracture Rapport 2017. 2017; Available from: http://nrlweb.ihelse.net/Rapporter/Rapport2017.pdf.
- Classification of trochanteric fractures.Acta Orthop Scand. 1980; 51: 803-810
- Reverse obliquity fractures of the intertrochanteric region of the femur.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2001; 83–A: 643-650
- Comparison of distribution, agreement and correlation between the original and modified Merle d’Aubigne-Postel Score and the Harris Hip Score after acetabular fracture treatment: moderate agreement, high ceiling effect and excellent correlation in 450 patients.Acta Orthop. 2005; 76: 796-802
- Femoral neck shortening after internal fixation of a femoral neck fracture.Orthopedics. 2013; 36: e849-e858
- The effect of shortening and varus collapse of the femoral neck on function after fixation of intracapsular fracture of the hip: a multi-centre cohort study.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008; 90: 1487-1494
☆A trial including one hundred patients treated with sliding hip screws for multi-fragmental trochanteric fractures randomized with or without Trochanteric Support Plates, showing negligible effect on radiological and clinical parameters.