- •We investigated cementless THA performed following failed internal fixation for femoral neck and intertrochanteric fractures.
- •The strength of this study lies in the high number of THA conversions with relatively long-term follow-up periods.
- •Stable fixation of the implant can be achieved with good functional outcome in a reproducible fashion.
- •Consider increased blood loss, operating time, and requirement of long femoral stem in failed internal fixation for intertrochanteric fracture.
The aim of this study was to investigate the postoperative outcomes of cementless Total hip arthroplasty (THA) following failed internal fixation for femoral neck and intertrochanteric fractures.
Ninety-six cementless THAs for failed internal fixation after femoral neck fracture (59, group I) and intertrochanteric fracture (37, group II) with a minimum follow-up of 3 years were analyzed. Clinical and radiologic evaluations were performed on all patients.
The intraoperative blood loss and operating time were significantly increased in group II (p = 0.001, p = 0.001, respectively). Harris hip score at last follow-up was significantly improved in group I (p = 0.007) but, there were no differences in hospital stay, Koval score at last follow-up, and perioperative complications between both groups. Long femoral stems for diaphyseal fitting were frequently used in group II (32/37, 86%) (p = 0.001). Radiographically, none of the acetabular cups showed evidence of migration, loosening. All cases showed stable fixation of the femoral stem at last follow-up.
Outcomes of cementless THA following failed internal fixation for femoral neck and intertrochanteric fractures were satisfactory; increased intraoperative blood loss, operating time, and requirement of long femoral stem should be considered in the latter type of fracture.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Excess mortality following hip fracture: a systematic epidemiological review.Osteoporos Int. 2009; 20: 1633-1650
- Epidemiology of proximal femoral fractures in South Korea.Arch Osteoporos. 2013; 8: 157
- Femoral neck fractures.Instr Course Lect. 2005; 54: 417-445
- Biomechanical evaluation of the percutaneous compression plating system for hip fractures.J Orthop Trauma. 2002; 16: 644-650
- Hip arthroplasty for salvage of failed treatment of intertrochanteric hip fractures.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003; 85: 899-904
- Hip arthroplasty in failed intertrochanteric fractures in elderly.Indian J Orthop. 2013; 47: 572-577
- Treatment of intertrochanteric nonunion of the proximal femur using the S-ROM prosthesis.Orthopedics. 2008; 31: 125
- Modular femoral component for conversion of previous hip surgery in total hip arthroplasty.Orthopedics. 2005; 28: s1079-84
- Outcomes of total hip arthroplasty, as a salvage procedure, following failed internal fixation of intracapsular fractures of the femoral neck: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Bone Joint J. 2016; 98-B: 452-460
- A posterior approach to primary total hip arthroplasty with soft tissue repair.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004; 418: 162-167
- A quantitative in vitro assessment of fit and screw fixation on the stability of a cementless hemispherical acetabular component.J Arthroplasty. 1994; 9: 163-170
- Micromotion of cementless hemispherical acetabular components. Does press-fit need adjunctive screw fixation?.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1995; 77: 484-489
- A comparison of alternative methods of measuring femoral anteversion.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1998; 22: 610-614
- Results of a method of leg-length equalization for patients undergoing primary total hip replacement.J Arthroplasty. 1999; 14: 159-164
- The definition and measurement of acetabular orientation.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1993; 75: 228-232
- Measurement of the acetabular cup anteversion on simulated radiographs.J Arthroplasty. 2009; 24: 468-474
- Total hip arthroplasty with use of the cementless Zweymuller alloclassic system: a concise follow-up, at a minimum of 25 years, of a previous report.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017; 99: 1927-1931
- Porous-coated hip replacement. The factors governing bone ingrowth, stress shielding, and clinical results.J Bone Joint Br. 1987; 69: 45-55
- A tapered titanium femoral stem inserted without cement in a total hip arthroplasty. Radiographic evaluation and stability.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1996; 78: 1214-1225
- Wedge effect following intramedullary hip screw fixation of intertrochanteric proximal femur fracture.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2015; 135: 1343-1347
- Conversion total hip arthroplasty a reason not to use cephalomedullary nails.J Arthroplasty. 2012; 27: 117-121
- Salvage of failed dynamic hip screw fixation of intertrochanteric fractures.Injury. 2006; 37: 194-202
- Cemented hip arthroplasty with a novel cerclage cable technique for unstable intertrochanteric hip fractures.J Arthroplasty. 2005; 20: 337-343
- Cemented hemiarthroplasties for elderly patients with intertrochanteric fractures.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2000; : 206-215
- Thirty-day mortality following hip arthroplasty for acute fracture.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004; 86: 1983-1988
- Conversion of failed proximal femoral internal fixation to total hip arthroplasty in osteopetrotic bone.J Arthroplasty. 2006; 21: 1200-1202
- Long-term results of total hip arthroplasty for femoral neck fracture nonunion.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004; 86: 2263-2267
- Total hip arthroplasty after failed internal fixation of proximal femoral fractures.J Arthroplasty. 2013; 28: 168-171
- Salvage of failed trochanteric and subtrochanteric fractures using a distally fixed, modular, uncemented hip revision stem.Acta Orthop. 2012; 83: 488-492
- Dislocation after revision total hip arthroplasty: an analysis of risk factors and treatment options.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2002; 84: 1788-1792
- Dislocation following total hip arthroplasty using dual mobility acetabular components: a systematic review.Bone Joint J. 2017; 99: 18-24
- Conversion to total hip arthroplasty after failed proximal femoral nail antirotations or dynamic hip screw fixations for stable intertrochanteric femur fractures: a retrospective study with a minimum follow-up of 3 years.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017; 18: 38
Published online: January 14, 2019
Accepted: January 12, 2019
© 2019 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.