Surgical treatment of the posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) tibial avulsion fracture is challenging due to the deep-seated location of the lesion with complex adjacent anatomy and usually with small-sized bone fragment. We introduce a novel arthroscopic reduction technique using two cross-linked pull-out sutures (2XLPOS) through triple bone tunnels in posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) tibial avulsion fracture.
Posterior trans-septal portal was established following the four standard arthroscopic portals. Bilateral margins of the PCL with 1∼2 mm margin from the border were penetrated using suture hook. Fiberwire sling tied with a No. 0 PDS knot was introduced anterior to the PCL by the two posteriorly pulled shuttle sutures. Three bone tunnels were drilled in the inferomedial, inferolateral, and apex edge of the avulsed tibial crater. Each end of the Fiberwire was drawn out through the inferomedial and inferolateral bone tunnel, respectively. Two ends of the No. 0 PDS were drawn out through the apex tunnel by the same manner. Fiberwire was tied on the anteromedial aspect of the proximal tibia with one strand of the No. 0 PDS placed underneath the Fiberwire knot. And, the No. 0 PDS loop was tied to complete cross-linking of pull-out construct.
Arthroscopic reduction of PCL tibial insertion avulsion fracture using 2XLPOS technique was performed in eleven patients. Mean range of motion at the first postoperative year was 126.8°. Mean Lysholm score, Tegner activity scale, and IKDC was 69.2, 4.2, and 58.1, respectively. Posterior instability decreased from mean 12.6 mm preoperatively to 3.2 mm at 1-year postoperative follow up. Radiographic union of the fracture site was confirmed in 11 cases. Our new surgical technique yielded good clinical and radiological outcome, and we consider it is unique in utilizing two cross-linked sling type pull-out suture constructs and triple bone tunnels for their passage.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Posterior cruciate ligament avulsion from the tibia: fixation by a posteromedial approach.Acta Orthop Belg. 2003; 69: 162-167
- A safe postero-medial approach to posterior cruciate ligament avulsion fracture.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2009; 17: 244-247
- Open reduction and internal fixation of isolated PCL fossa avulsion fractures.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2012; 20: 315-321
- Arthroscopic suture bridge fixation technique with multiple crossover ties for posterior cruciate ligament tibial avulsion fracture.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2016; 26: 912-918
- Arthroscopic suture fixation for bony avulsion of the posterior cruciate ligament.Arthroscopy. 2001; 17: 776-780
- Arthroscopic treatment of acute tibial avulsion fracture of the posterior cruciate ligament with suture fixation technique through Y-shaped bone tunnels.Arthroscopy. 2006; 22: 172-181
- Management of posterior cruciate ligament tibial avulsion injuries: a systematic review.Am J Sports Med. 2017; XX:036354651770191
- Posterior approach for arthroscopic reduction and antegrade fixation of avulsion fracture of the posterior cruciate ligament from the tibia with cannulated screw and washer.Arthroscopy. 2003; 19: 916-921
- Arthroscopic reattachment of an avulsion fracture of the tibial insertion of the posterior cruciate ligament.Arthroscopy. 2001; 17: 422-425
- Single-tunnel suture fixation of posterior cruciate ligament avulsion fracture.Arthroscopy. 2009; 25: 78-85
- Arthroscopic fixation of tibial bony avulsion of the posterior cruciate ligament.Arthroscopy. 2003; 19: 6-10
- Arthroscopic fixation of an avulsion fracture of the tibia involving the posterior cruciate ligament: a modified technique in a series of 22 cases.Bone Joint J. 2015; 97–B: 1220-1225
- Arthroscopic reduction and fixation of bony avulsion of the posterior cruciate ligament of the tibia.Arthroscopy. 1997; 13: 759-762
- Arthroscopically assisted treatment of avulsion fractures of the posterior cruciate ligament from the tibia.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2001; 83–A: 698-708
- Current arthroscopic concepts in repairing posterior cruciate ligament tibial-sided avulsions.Orthopedics. 2015; 38: 563-569
- Fixation of posterior cruciate ligament avulsion fracture with the use of a suspensory fixation.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2012; 20: 996-999
- Fixation with anchors for posterior cruciate ligament avulsion by arthroscopy: a new technique.Arthroscopy. 2005; 21: 30-32
- Part II: arthroscopic treatment of tibial plateau fractures: intercondylar eminence avulsion fractures.Arthroscopy. 2005; 21: 86-92
Published online: November 12, 2018
© 2018 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.