Insufficiency fractures of the pubic rami in elderly patients are commonly encountered in orthopaedic practice and their incidence is reported at 25.6 per 100,000 per year.
1Fractures of the pelvis in children are relatively uncommon and constitute approximately 1% of admissions at paediatric trauma units, and are associated with significant morbidity and mortality.
- Hill R.M.
- Robinson C.M.
- Keating J.F.
Fractures of the pubic rami. Epidemiology and five year survival.
Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (British Volume). 2001; 83: 1141-1144
2The mechanism of injury most commonly associated with paediatric pelvic fractures involves a pedestrian being hit by a car.
- Chia J.P.
- Holland A.J.
- Little D.
- Cass D.T.
Pelvic fractures and associated injuries in children.
Journal of Trauma. 2004; 56: 83-88
3The incidence of isolated pubic ramus fractures in the skeletally immature pelvis has yet to be reported. We report a case of an inferior pubic ramus fracture sustained during a game of rugby that presented with fever and groin pain.
- Banerjee S.
- Barry M.J.
- Paterson J.M.
Paediatric pelvic fractures: 10 years experience in a trauma centre.
Injury. 2009; 40: 410-413
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Fractures of the pubic rami. Epidemiology and five year survival.Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (British Volume). 2001; 83: 1141-1144
- Pelvic fractures and associated injuries in children.Journal of Trauma. 2004; 56: 83-88
- Paediatric pelvic fractures: 10 years experience in a trauma centre.Injury. 2009; 40: 410-413
- Pediatric pelvic ring fractures.Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. 1990; 10: 577-582
- Adductor avulsive injuries near the symphasis pubis.Radiology. 1976; 120: 567-569
- Clinical features and outcome of septic arthritis in a single UK Health District 1982–1991.Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 1999; 58: 214-219
- Septic arthritis: current diagnostic and therapeutic algorithm.Current Opinion in Rheumatology. 2008; 20: 457-462
- Hip pain in a child: myositis or appendicitis?.Pediatric Emergency Care. 2010; 26: 431-433
- Hematoma-induced febrile response in the pediatric patient.Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. 1983; July (3): 333-340
- Soft tissue hematoma as a cause of fever in the adult.Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease. 1988; 11: 215-219
- Fracture hematoma is a potent proinflammatory mediator of neutrophil function.Journal of Trauma. 2005; 58: 1223-1229
Accepted: May 22, 2012
© 2012 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.