The tremendous increase of acetabular fractures in the elderly provides new challenges for their surgical treatment. The aim of this study was to evaluate the biomechanical properties of conventional and newly developed implants for the stabilisation of an anterior column combined with posterior hemitransverse fracture (ACPHTF), which represents the typical acetabular fracture in the elderly.
Using a single-leg stance model we analysed four different implant systems for the stabilisation of ACPHTFs in synthetic and cadaveric pelvises. Applying an increasing axial load, fracture dislocation was analysed with a new multidirectional ultrasonic measuring system. Results of the different implant systems were compared by Scheffé post hoc test and one-way ANOVA.
In synthetic pelvises, the standard reconstruction plate fixed by 3 periarticular long screws and a new titanium fixator with multidirectional interlocking screws were associated with significantly less dislocation of the fractured quadrilateral plate of the acetabulum when compared to a standard reconstruction plate fixed by only one periarticular long screw and a locking reconstruction plate. No significant differences between the different osteosynthesis techniques could be observed in cadaver pelvises, probably due to a heterogeneous bone quality.
We conclude that the plate fixation by positioning of periarticular long screws as well as the multidirectional positioning of interlocking screws account for the most sufficient fracture stabilisation of ACPHTFs under experimental conditions.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The “Gull Sign”: a harbinger of failure for internal fixation of geriatric acetabular fractures.J Orthop Trauma. 2003; 17: 625-634
- Diagnosis, classification and surgical indications in acetabulum fractures.Orthopade. 1992; 21: 427-441
- Closed reduction and percutaneous fixation of anterior column acetabular fractures.Comput Aided Surg. 2002; 7: 169-178
- Three-dimensional movement analysis after internal fixation of pelvic ring fractures. A computer simulation.Unfallchirurgie. 2000; 103: 965-971
- Biomechanics of locked plates and screws.J Orthop Trauma. 2004; 18: 488-493
- Acetabular fractures—surgical versus conservative treatment.Unfallchirurgie. 1990; 16: 230-235
- Acetabulum surgery. Development, current status and prospects.Zentralbl Chir. 1999; 124: 999-1003
- A biomechanical evaluation of mandibular condyle fracture plating techniques.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2002; 60: 73-80
- Conservative treatment of fractures of the acetabulum. Results after longtime follow-up.Acta Chir Belg. 1988; 88: 27-32
- Acetabular fractures in the elderly. Results of a sophisticated treatment concept.Unfallchirurgie. 2002; 105: 893-900
- Fractures of the acetabulum.Acta Orthop Belg. 1964; 30: 285-293
- Biomechanical consequences of anterior column fracture of the acetabulum.J Orthop Trauma. 1998; 12: 547-552
- Surgical treatment of fractures of the acetabulum: results over a twenty-five year period (author's transl).Chirurgie. 1981; 107: 229-236
- Results of surgical treatment of acetabular fractures.Acta Orthop Belg. 1984; 50: 423-433
- The treatment of acetabular fractures through the ilioinguinal approach.Clin Orthop. 1993; 292: 62-76
- Planning and reduction technique in fracture surgery.1st ed. Springer-Verlag, New York1989
- Fractures of the acetabulum: accuracy of reduction and clinical results in patients managed operatively within three weeks after the injury.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1996; 78: 1632-1645
- Cable fixation and early total hip arthroplasty in the treatment of acetabular fractures in elderly patients.J Arthroplasty. 2004; 19: 344-348
- Acetabular fractures: operative management and long-term results.Wien Klin Wochenschr. 1999; 111: 70-75
- A biomechanical evaluation of bilateral sagittal ramus osteotomy fixation techniques.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005; 63: 1317-1324
- Comparative biomechanical studies of internal stabilization of trans-foraminal sacrum fractures.Orthopade. 1992; 21: 413-421
- Biomechanical comparison of various emergency stabilization measures of the pelvic ring.Unfallchirurgie. 1994; 97: 503-510
- Acetabulum fractures.Unfallchirurgie. 1999; 102: 591-610
- Stability of acetabular fractures after internal fixation. A cadaveric study.Acta Orthop Scand. 1984; 55: 601-605
- Wirkprinzipien der winkelstabilen Schrauben-Platten-Verbindung bei Fixateur-interne-Osteosynthesen.Trauma Berufskh. 1999; 1: 320-325
- Biomechanical evaluation of transverse acetabular fracture fixation.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1998; 352: 215-222
- The use of Dacron in the repair of hernias of the groin.Surg Clin North Am. 1984; 64: 269-285
- Conservative therapy of acetabular fractures—indications and results.Aktuelle Traumatol. 1987; 17: 277-283
Accepted: December 1, 2009
© 2009 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.