The results of treatment for 83 patients treated with a new implant designed specifically for the internal fixation of intracapsular hip fractures are reported. Nonunion occurred in one out of the 37 undisplaced fractures (3%) and seven out of the 46 displaced fractures (15%). In addition, four patients developed avascular necrosis (5%), one developed a fracture around the distal screws and another developed deep wound infection. The functional recovery at patients at 1 year was excellent. The results to date for this new implant suggest that it may lead to reduced fracture-healing complications in comparison to the currently used methods of internal fixation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The long-term results of low-friction arthroplasty of the hip performed as a primary intervention.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1972; 54-B: 61-76
- Undisplaced intracapsular hip fracture: results of internal fixation in 375 patients.Clin Orthop. 2004; 421: 249-254
- High inter-tester reliability of the new mobility score in patients with hip fracture.J Rehabil Med. 2008; 40: 589-591
- Outcomes after displaced fractures of the femoral neck: a meta-analysis of one hundred and six published reports.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1994; 76-A: 15-25
- A new mobility score for predicting mortality after hip fracture.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1993; 75: 797-798
- Internal fixation implants for intracapsular proximal femoral fractures in adults (Cochrane Review).The Cochrane Library, Issue 4. Wiley, Chichester2001
- Classification of musculo-skeletal trauma.Butterworth-Heinemann Publications, Oxford1999 ([Chapter 15; 186–93])
- Intracapsular fractures of the neck of the femur. Treatment of internal fixation.Arch Surg. 1931; 23: 715-759
- Hip nails for all occasions.Orthop Clin North Am. 1974; 5: 479-491
Accepted: September 3, 2009
© 2009 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.