We submit a case of a pseudoaneurysm of the axillary artery secondary to a proximal humeral fracture. There was a latent period of 4 months, from index injury to the presentation with arterial thrombosis. The patient attended Accident and Emergency (A&E) Department with a massive swelling and bruising of the shoulder and upper arm. This was accompanied with distal neurovascular deficit. Arteriogram showed a complete block of axillary artery. On exploration the limb was unsalvageable beyond the blockage. A shoulder disarticulation was performed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The epidemiology of fractures of the proximal humerus.Arch. Orthop. Trauma Surg. 1989; 180: 285-287
- Axillary artery thrombosis after fracture of the humerus: a case report.J. Bone Jt. Surg. 1980; 62A: 1214-1215
- Displaced proximal humeral fractures. Part I. Classification and evaluation.J. Bone Jt. Surg. 1970; 52: 1077-1089
- Axillary artery damage following a closed fracture of the neck of the humerus: a case report.Injury. 1995; 16: 426-427
- Axillary artery thrombosis following a fracture of the neck of the humerus.Injury. 1988; 19: 45-47
- Injuries of the axillary artery caused by fractures of the neck of the humerus.Injury. 1976; 8: 120-123
- Axillary artery injury as a complication of proximal humerus fractures.J. Shoulder Elbow Surg. 1998; 7: 292-294
- Digital gangrene: an unusual late complication of non-union of a proximal humerus fracture.Injury. 1997; 28: 695-696
Weile F, Fjeldborg, Lesions of the axillary artery associated with dislocation of the shoulder. Acta Chir. Scand. 1971;137:279–81.
- Reassessment of the role of angiography in penetrating proximity extremity trauma: a prospective study.J. Trauma. 1989; 29: 1041-1046
- Thrombosis of the axillary artery complicating proximal humeral fractures: a report of three cases.J. Bone Jt. Surg. 1987; 69A: 778-780
- Injuries of the axillary artery caused by fractures of the neck of the humerus.Injury. 1982; 8: 95-106
- A proximal humeral fracture, complicated by a pseudoaneurysm: a case report.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1998; 69: 194-195
- Fatal tracheal compression after haemorrhage into the axilla.Br. J. Anaesth. 1992; 69: 322-324
Accepted: March 28, 2002
© 2002 Elsevier Science Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.