Intercondylar fracture of the femur is an inherently difficult injury to manage due to the thin cortices, frequently associated comminution and articular surface disruption. In the past two decades, numerous reports have shown that internal fixation is a better option to non-operative treatment [
]. A variety of implants have been used for the fixation of these fractures [
- Schatzker J.
Fractures of distal femur revisited.
Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res. 1998; 347: 43-56
- Gregory P.
- Sanders R.W.
The treatment of supracondylar intracondylar fractures of the femur using the dynamic condylar screw.
Tech. Orthop. 1995; 9: 195-202
3]. We describe here a case of comminuted intercondylar fracture (AO type 33.C 2.3) of the femur in an 82-year-old osteoporotic lady which was managed by antegrade locked knee arthrodesis nail.
- Leung K.S.
- Shen W.Y.
- So W.S.
- et al.
Interlocking intramedullary nailing for supracondylar and intercondylar fractures of the distal part of the femur.
J. Bone Jt. Surg. 1991; 73A: 332-340
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Fractures of distal femur revisited.Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res. 1998; 347: 43-56
- The treatment of supracondylar intracondylar fractures of the femur using the dynamic condylar screw.Tech. Orthop. 1995; 9: 195-202
- Interlocking intramedullary nailing for supracondylar and intercondylar fractures of the distal part of the femur.J. Bone Jt. Surg. 1991; 73A: 332-340
- Retrograde intramedullary nailing of supracondylar femoral fractures.Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res. 1998; 350: 80-84
- Percutaneous plating in the lower extremity.J. Am. Acad. Orthop. Surg. 2000; 8: 211-216
- Transarticular fixation in the treatment of non-union of supracondylar fractures of the femur: a salvage procedure.J. Bone Jt. Surg. 1979; 61A: 1018-1023
Accepted: December 6, 2001
© 2002 Elsevier Science Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.