The results for a series of 35 patients with complex proximal femoral fractures treated with the long Gamma nail are presented. Fracture healing occurred in all surviving patients, but there were four technical problems associated with the implant. Two nails broke associated with delayed union of the fracture necessitating revision of the implant, one fracture of femur at the site of distal locking occurred during surgery and there was one later fracture at the tip of the nail. All but one failures of fixation were revised with another Gamma nail and healed uneventfully. Overall the number of fracture healing complications compares favourably to contemporary implants and improvements in the design and strength of the nail may further improve results.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The AO Classification of Fracture of Long Bones. Springer, New York1990
American Society of Anaesthesiologists. New classification of physical status. Anaesthesiology 1963; 24: 111.
- Subtrochanteric fractures.Clin. Orthop. 1973; 92: 86-99
- Subtrochanteric fracture of the femur.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1976; 58-A: 282
- Ender nailing of intertrochanteric and sub trochantric fractures of the femur.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1980; 62-A: 635-645
- Subtrochanteric fractures, Zickel nail or nail plate.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1986; 68-B: 225-259
- Indirect reduction with a condylar blade plate for osteosynthesis of subtrochanteric femoral fractures.Injury. 1998; 29: 7-15
- The dynamic condylar screw in the management of subtrochanteric fracture of the femur.Injury. 1995; 26: 241-244
- Low-energy subtrochanteric fractures in elderly patients: results of fixation with the sliding screw plate.J. Trauma. 1993; 34: 56-61
- Subtrochanteric fractures of the femur.Injury. 1997; 28: 91-95
- An intramedullary fixation device for the proximal part of the femur.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1976; 58-A: 866-872
- Subtrochanteric fractures of femur treated with the Zickel nail.Injury. 1993; 24: 93-96
- Iatrogenic subtrochanteric fractures. A complication of Zickel nail.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1986; 68-A: 1237-1240
- Intraoperative and postoperative subtrochanteric fractures of the femur associated with removal of Zickel nail.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1988; 70-A: 239-243
- The treatment of difficult proximal femoral fractures with the Russel–Taylor reconstruction nail.Injury. 1999; 30: 407-415
- Mechanical complications associated with use of unreamed AO femoral nail with spiral blade plate: first experience with thirty five consecutive cases.J. Orthop. Trauma. 1998; 12: 186-189
- Gamma versus DHS nailing for extra capsular fractures: meta-analysis of ten randomised trials.Int. Orthop. 1996; 20: 163-168
- Implant failure of the Gamma nail.Injury. 1999; 30: 91-99
- Use of Gamma nail in the treatment of fracture proximal femur.Clin. Orthop. 1998; 350: 56-61
- Fractured Gamma nail.Injury. 1994; 25: 331-336
- Multiple guide wire technique for removal of a short distal fragment of a fractured intramedullary nail.Injury. 1993; 24: 357-358
Accepted: February 8, 2001
© 2001 Elsevier Science Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.