This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
In ten mature rabbits two cerclage wires were placed 9 mm apart on one femur. The contralateral femora were sham-operated and served as controls. The animals were killed after 99 days and the femora subjected to four-point bending tests. All wires were embedded in callus. Strength slightly increased and stiffness was unchanged in the wired femur compared with the contralateral femur. Provided they give sufficient stability, cerclage wires may be used without fear of reducing bone strength.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The influence of nylon cerclage on diaphyseal bone strength. An experimental evaluation of Partridge bands on rabbits.Orthopedics. 1986; 9: 237
- Local arterial changes associated with experimental fractures of the rabbit's tibia treated with encircling wires (cerclage).Acta Chir Scand. 1962; 123: 17
- Effect of cerclage wires on periosteal bone in growing dogs.Vet Surg. 1987; 16: 299
- Fracture nonunion resulting from cerclage appliances.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1974; 164: 503
- Manual der Osteosynthese. Springer-Verlag, Berlin1969 5th Ed.
- The Closed Treatment of Common Fractures. E. S. Livingstone, Edinburgh1963: 24 5th Ed.
- Tibial blood supply in relation to fracture healing.Clin Orthop. 1974; 105: 34
- Effect of circumferential bands on cortical vascularity and viability.J Orthop Res. 1991; 9: 174
- Microangiography in bone healing. Undisplaced closed fractures.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1962; 44A: 1273
- Vascular response of the equine radius to cerclage devices.Vet Surg. 1990; 19: 249
- Local arterial changes caused by surgical exposure and the application of encircling wires (cerclage) on the rabbit's tibia.Acta Chir Scand. 1962; 123: 9
- Experimental fixation of femoral osteotomies by cerclage with nylon straps.Clin Orthop. 1983; 179: 298
Accepted: October 25, 1994
© 1995 Published by Elsevier Inc.