This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The experience of one institution in the use of the Seidel locking intramedullary nail in 23 patients with humeral shaft fractures is reported. The device was used only for cases involving failure of previous treatment, pathological fractures or multiple injuries. Acceptable results were achieved in patients with pathological fractures, but the results in other patients were disappointing with unacceptably high complication rates and poor postoperative shoulder function.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Fractures of the diaphyseal humerus.in: Browner BD Jupiter JB Levine AM Trafton PG Skeletal Trauma. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1992: 1117
- Functional bracing of fractures of the shaft of the humerus.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1977; 59A: 596
- Fractures of the humerus with radial nerve paralysis.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1963; 45: 1382
- The results of plating humeral shaft fractures in patients with multiple injuries. The Sunnybrook experience.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1985; 67B: 293
- Treatment of humeral shaft fractures related to associated injuries. A retrospective study of 237 patients.Acta Orthop Scand. 1991; 62: 148
- Intramedullary stabilisation of humeral shaft fractures in patients with multiple trauma.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1986; 68A: 960
- Humeral locking nail: a preliminary report.Orthopaedics. 1989; 12: 219
- A locking nail for fractures of the humerus.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1991; 73B: 651
- A clinical method of functional assessment of the shoulder.Clin Orthop Rel Res. 1987; 214: 160
- The biomechanical and anatomical basis of the Seidel humeral locking nail.Abstracts of the Advanced Course in Intramedullary Locking Nailing, Toronto. 1991;
- Humeral shaft fractures treated by interlocking nailing: a preliminary report on 16 patients.Injury. 1992; 23: 234
- Locked nailing of humeral shaft fractures: experience in Edinburgh over a two-year period.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1992; 74B: 558
- Open reduction and internal fixation of humeral shaft fractures. Results using AO plating techniques.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1986; 68A: 430
Accepted: October 5, 1994
© 1995 Published by Elsevier Inc.