This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Attacks on humans by dogs acting as a pack, though uncommon, result in severe, sometimes fatal, injuries. We report seven cases of attacks by packs of dogs (five on children and two on elderly women) including one fatal case. The dangers of dogs acting as a pack are highlighted, particularly when confronted with an unaccompanied child or elderly female. The pattern of injuries and principles of treatment are discussed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Dog bites — an unrecognised epidemic.Bull NY Acad Med. 1974; 50: 981
- The ecology of dog bite injury in St. Louis, Missouri.Public Health Rep. 1975; 90: 262
- Dog bite wounds.JAMA. 1980; 224: 2327
- Dog bites in children: epidemiology, microbiology and penicillin prophylactic therapy.Am J Emerg Med. 1983; 1: 17
- Animal bites in a large city: a report on Baltimore, Maryland.Am J Public Health. 1972; 62: 472
- Traumatic deaths from dog attacks in the United States.Pediatrics. 1982; 69: 193
- Dog bite-related fatalities from 1979 through 1988.JAMA. 1989; 262: 1489
- Unusual injuries: savaged to death by dogs.Med Sci Law. 1965; 5: 158
- Dog bite deaths.Forensic Sci. 1972; 9: 151
- Human deaths induced by dog bites, United States 1974–1975.Public Health Rep. 1977; 92: 425
- Major dog attack injuries in children.J Pedr Surg. 1983; 18: 553
- Mauling by pit bull terriers: case report.J Trauma. 1989; 28: 517
- Dog bites in urban children.Pediatrics. 1991; 88: 55
- Behaviour of wolves, dogs and related canids.Harper & Row, New York1971
- Small animal bites: the role of primary closure.J Trauma. 1973; 13: 20
- Multiple animal bite wounds: a case report.J Forensic Sci. 1975; 20: 305
- Treatment of dog bite wounds.Minn Med. 1969; 52: 427
- Attacks by packs of dogs involving predation on human beings.Public Health Rep. 1983; 98: 57
- Canine behaviour.in: Charles C Thomas, Springfield, IL1965: 96
- Successful treatment protocol for canine fang injuries.J Trauma. 1980; 20: 243
- Peripheral dissemination of bacteria in contaminated wounds; role of devitalised tissue; evaluation of therapeutic measures.Surgery. 1976; 80: 535
- An approach to ameliorating aggressive behaviour of dogs toward children.Mod Vet Pract. 1981; 62: 67
Accepted: July 26, 1994
© 1995 Published by Elsevier Inc.