This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
In 14 pateints aged 38 to 87 years humeral shaft fractures were operated on for failure of reduction, for delayed healing or for established non-union with the Seidel interlocking nail system. In five patients intraoperative technical problems were encountered. The healing rate was eight out of 12 patients. In cases of pseudarthrosis of the humeral shaft, bone grafting or local osteosynthesis in addition to medullary nailing seem advisable. The distal interlocking mechanism of the Seidel nail should be improved.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Internal fixation of fractures and non-unions of the humeral shaft.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1985; 67A: 857
- Die Behandlung der Oberarmschaftfraktur.Unfallchirurg. 1991; 94: 447
- Intramedullary fixation of humeral shaft fractures.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1984; 66A: 639
- Humeral locking nail — a preliminary report.Orthopedics. 1989; 12: 219
- A locking nail for fractures of the humerus.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1991; 73B: 651
- Seidel intramedullary nailing of humeral diaphyseal fractures — a preliminary report.Orthopedics. 1991; 14: 239
- Humeral shaft fractures treated by interlocking nailing — a preliminary report on 16 patients.Injury. 1992; 23: 234
- Locked nailing of humeral shaft fractures.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1992; 74B: 558
- Zur Problematik der Humerus-verriegelungsnagelung.Unfallchirurg. 1993; 96: 323
- The Seidel humeral locking nail: an anatomical study of the complications from locking screws.Injury. 1993; 24: 175
- Biomechanical analysis of humeral shaft fractures fixed with intramedullary nails.in: Orthop Research Society Transactions of the 39th Annual Meeting San Francisco. 1993: 108
- Clinical and biomechanical comparison of humeral intramedullary rods.in: Poster, 60th Annual Meeting American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, San Francisco USA1993
Accepted: May 10, 1994
© 1995 Published by Elsevier Inc.