This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
High-resolution real-time ultrasound (US) scanning was used to monitor serially 24 patients with an acute long-bone fracture and three patients with humeral non-union, looking at the fracture site over a period of 12 months following the fracture. In both these groups, we found that US gave important information about the soft tissues surrounding the fracture site, and indicated callus formation at an early stage. US was more sensitive than conventional radiography at showing the early phases of organization of the callus, and its progression to bridging new bone formation. US also clearly showed a disorganized echopattern at the fracture site of the patients with non-union.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The biology of fracture healing in long bones.J Bone Joint Surg. [Br]. 1978; 60B: 150
- Early histological and ultrastructural changes in medullary fracture callus.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1991; 73A: 832
- Quantitative roentgenographic densitometry for assessing fracture healing.Clin Orthop. 1990; 253: 279
- Magnetic resonance imaging of tibial shaft fracture repair.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 1989; 108: 40
- Sonographic detection of occult bone fractures.Pediatr Radiol. 1988; 18: 382
- Fracture of the clavicle in the newborn. An ultrasound diagnosis.J Ultrasound Med. 1988; 7: 21
- Ruolo dell'ecografia nella diagnosi della fratture clavicolari del neonato.Radiologia Medica. 1989; 77: 466
- Nondisplaced fractures of the greater tuberosity of the humerus: sonographic detection.Radiology. 1992; 182: 201
- The value of ultrasound in the assessment of bone.Br J Radiol. 1992; 65: 689
- Calcaneal bone cyst: sonographic findings and ultrasound guided aspiration biopsy.J Clin Ultrasound. 1991; 19: 360
- Use of ultrasound in osteomyelitis.Br J Radiol. 1992; 65: 649
- Ultrasonographic monitoring of limb lengthening.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1992; 74B: 305
- Methods of assessing new bone formation during limb lengthening. Ultrasonography, dual energy X-ray absorptiometry and radiography compared.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1993; 75B: 358
- Ultrasonography in the evaluation of osteogenesis in fractures treated with Hoffmann external fixator.Ital J Orthop Trauma. 1986; 12: 197
- The radiological dating of injuries.Arch Dis Child. 1992; 67: 1063
- X-ray diagnosis of healing fractures in rabbits.Clin Orthop. 1979; 142: 234
- Sonographische Frackturdiagnostik.Ultraschall in Medizin. 1990; 11: 205
Accepted: August 4, 1994
© 1995 Published by Elsevier Inc.