This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Electrical injuries are often dramatic accidents and are potentially fatal. The systemic involvement which characterizes many of these injuries, requires familiarity with the broad spectrum of clinical manifestations and possible complications. While many victims of electrocution are killed before help can be provided, survivors may suffer severe injuries that need proper treatment. The pathophysiological aspects of electrical injuries and therapeutic principles are therefore discussed in this review as well as preventive measures.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Electrical shock and lightning strike.Ann Emerg Med. 1993; 22: 378
- Occupational injury.in: Baker SP O'Neill B Ginsburg MJ Injury Fact Book. 2nd Ed. Oxford University Press, New York1992: 114-133
- Lightning and electrical injuries.Neurol Clin. 1992; 10: 1047
- Environmental injuries.in: Eichelberger MR Pediatric Trauma Prevention, Acute Care Rehabilitation. Mosby, St. Louis1993: 585
- Electrical injuries and lightning.Emerg Med Clin North Am. 1992; 10: 211
- Household electrical injuries in children — epidemiology and identification of avoidable hazards.Am J Dis Child. 1989; 143: 59
- Cardiovascular problems in the post operative trauma patient.in: Grande CM Textbook of Trauma, Anesthesia and Critical Care. Mosby, St. Louis1993: 773-775
- Electrical injuries.in: Civeta JM Taylor RW Kirby RR Critical Care. 2nd Ed. Lippincott, Philadelphia1992: 947-950
- Electrical and lightning injuries.in: Carlson RW Geheb M Principles & Practice of Medical Intensive Care. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1993: 1645
- Lightning related injuries and electrical burns.in: Viener SL Barrett J Trauma Management for Civilian and Military Physicians. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1986: 446-451
- Burn patients.in: Grande CM Textbook of Trauma, Anesthesia and Critical Care. Mosby, St. Louis1993: 596-598
- Clinical predictors of myocardial, damage after high voltage electrical injury.Crit Care Med. 1990; 18: 293
- Echocardiographic observations in survivors of acute electrical injury.Chest. 1990; 97: 103
- Myocardial injury in electrocution.Am Heart J. 1991; 122: 1481
- Pulmonary edema associated with electrical injury.Chest. 1990; 97: 1248
- Acute pulmonary edema caused by lightning.Centr Afr J Med. 1989; 35: 534-537
- Cardiac abnormalities demonstrated post mortem in four cases of accidental electrocution and their potential significance relative to non fatal electrical injuries of the heart.Am Heart J. 1990; 120: 143
- Myocardial damage associated with electrical injury.Am Heart J. 1989; 118: 621
- Bilateral femoral neck fractures after electrical injury: a case report and literature review.J Burn Care Rehabil. 1990; 11: 240
- ATLS Student Manual. ACS, Washington1993: 253-254 2nd Ed.
- Neurological consequences of electrical burns.J Trauma. 1990; 30: 254
- Electrical injury with cerebral sinus thrombosis. Case report and review of literature.Stroke. 1993; 24: 903
- Delayed neurological sequela of high tension electrical burns.Burns. 1989; 15: 175
- Biological effects of high voltage electric field.South Afr Med J. 1993; 89: 920
- Auditory and neuropsychiatric behaviour after electrical injury.J Burn Care Rehabil. 1993; 14: 169
- The physical effects of lightning injury.J Fam Pract. 1989; 29: 267
- Ocular changes from electrical burn injuries. A literature review and report of a case.J Burn Care Rehabil. 1991; 12: 458
- Abdominal wall and stomach perforation following accidental electrocution with high tension wire: a unique case.J Emerg Med. 1993; 11: 141
- Guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation emergency cardiac care.JAMA. 1985; 268: 2171
- Electrical burns in Kuwait: a review and analysis of 64 cases.Burns. 1992; 18: 497
- Lightning injuries, a unique treatment challenge.Postgrad Med. 1989; 85: 197
- Lightning injury with survival in five patients.JAMA. 1985; 253: 243
- ‘Death’ from lightning and the possibility of living again.Ann Intern Med. 1968; 68: 1345
Accepted: July 7, 1995
© 1995 Published by Elsevier Inc.