This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
We report a prospective, randomized, controlled trial, comparing the results of treatment with a dynamic hip screw (DHS) and a gamma nail in 95 consecutive patients with peri-trochanteric fractures of the femur. The DHS was used in 48 patients, the gamma nail in 47. Clinical and radiological outcomes were similar, but the gamma nail was associated with a higher incidence of complications, in particular fracture of the femur below the implant in eight cases. This is consistent with previous reports, and we do not recommend the gamma nail for the treatment of peri-trochanteric femoral fractures.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A prospective study of fractured proximal femur: factors predisposing to survival.Age Ageing. 1979; 8: 246
- The Comprehensive Classification of Fractures of Long Bones. Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg1990 2nd Ed.
- Analysis of treatment problems in subtrochanteric fractures of femur.J Trauma. 1978; 18: 513
- Jewett Nail plate or AO dynamic hip screw for trochanteric fractures? A randomised prospective controlled trial.J Bone Joint Surg [B]. 1983; 65B: 218
- Trochanteric fractures of the femur: a randomized prospective trial comparing the Jewett nail plate with the dynamic hip screw.J Bone Joint Surg [B]. 1986; 68B: 557
- Treatment of intertrochanteric fracture of the femur using sliding screw plate fixation.Clin Orthop. 1982; 163: 148
- Sliding hip screws and medial displacement osteotomy.J R Soc Med. 1988; 81: 140
- Sliding hip screws: modes of failure.Injury. 1989; 20: 227
- Ender nailing of intertrochanteric and subtrochanteric fractures of the femur: complications, failures and errors.J Bone Joint Surg [A]. 1980; 62A: 653
- Petrochanteric fractures in elderly patients: treatment with Ender's nails, blade plate or endoprosthesis?.Injury. 1985; 16: 261
- Intertrochanteric fractures of the hip: comparison of nail-plate fixation and Ender's nailing.Arch Orthop Traum Surg. 1988; 107: 136
- A biomechanical evaluation of the Gamma Nail.J Bone Joint Surg [B]. 1992; 74B: 352
- Fixation of intertrochanteric fractures of the femur: a randomized prospective comparison of the gamma nail and the DHS.J Bone Joint Surg [B]. 1991; 73B: 330
- The gamma nail for peritrochanteric fractures.J Bone Joint Surg [B]. 1992; 74B: 340
- Gamma nails and dynamic hip screws for pritrochanteric fractures.J Bone Joint Surg [B]. 1992; 74B: 345
- A prospective randomized comparison of the dynamic hip screw and the gamma locking nail.J Bone Joint Surg [B]. 1993; 75B: 789
Accepted: June 20, 1995
© 1995 Published by Elsevier Inc.