This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Four patients are presented who were thought to have sustained visceral injury following blunt abdominal trauma. However, CT demonstrated abdominal wall haematomata and allowed non-operative management. Similarity between the clinical findings in visceral injury and abdominal wall haematoma can lead to diagnostic difficulty. The cases illustrate the need to consider abdominal wall haematoma as a possible diagnosis in patients with blunt abdominal trauma. The place of CT in making this diagnosis is highlighted.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Computed tomographic evaluation of blunt abdominal trauma.Radiol Clin North Am. 1992; 30: 367-388
- Blunt upper abdominal trauma: evaluation by CT.Am J Roentgenol. 1992; 158: 493-501
- Abdominal muscle trauma.in: McCort JJ Trauma Radiology. Churchill Livingstone, New York1990: 241-244
- Abdominal ultrasound as a reliable indicator for conclusive laparotomy in blunt abdominal trauma.J Trauma. 1993; 34: 27-31
- Haematoma of the rectus abdominis muscle.Eur J Surg. 1993; 159: 335-338
- Rectus sheath haematoma. Six case reports and a literature review.Am J Gastroenterol. 1972; 57: 443-451
- The deep epigastric artery: rectus muscle syndrome.Am J Surg. 1962; 103: 159-169
- CT evaluation of the abdominal wall.Crit Rev Diagn Imaging. 1992; 33: 461-493
- CT of the abdominal wall.Am J Roentgenol. 1990; 154: 1207-1211
- Intestinal injuries missed by computed tomography.J Trauma. 1990; 30: 1-7
- Splenic trauma: false-negative CT diagnosis in cases of delayed rupture.Am J Roentgenol. 1987; 149: 727-728
Accepted: June 12, 1995
© 1995 Published by Elsevier Inc.