This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A new prefabricated brace for the functional treatment of Colles' fractures has been developed. It is applied at fracture reduction and maintains fracture position by the application of three-point loading. In a prospective randomized clinical trial treating 85 displaced Colles' fractures, with blind independent follow-up, the brace gave better functional results than conventional plaster treatment. The improved function was apparent up to 6 months after injury. Finger function and pinch strength were also better in the brace-treated patients. Anatomical results were similar in the two groups.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- On the fracture of the carpal extremity of the radius.Edinb Med Surg J. 1814; 10: 182
- Treatment of comminuted distal radius fractures with pins and plaster.Hand Clin. 1988; 4: 391
- Skeletal transfixion in treatment of comminuted fractures of the distal end of the radius in the elderly.J Trauma. 1990; 30: 1278
- Long-term follow-up of treatment of comminuted fractures of the distal end of the radius by transfixation by Kirschner wires and cast.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1962; 44A: 337
- Dynamic external fixation for comminuted intra-articular fractures of the distal end of the radius.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1987; 69A: 248
- External fixation of distal radius fractures.Clin Orthop. 1983; 180: 44
- External fixator management of unstable Colles' fractures.Orthopedics. 1984; 7: 853
- Percutaneous Kirschner-wire fixation of Colles' fractures: a prospective study of thirty cases.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1984; 66A: 1008
- Percutaneous Kirschner wire stabilisation following closed reduction of Colles' fractures.J Hand Surg [Br]. 1992; 17B: 55
- Stabilization of comminuted fractures of the distal inch of the radius: percutaneous pinning.Clin Orthop. 1975; 108: 174
- Open reduction and internal fixation of displaced, comminuted intra-articular fractures of the distal end of the radius.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1989; 71A: 839
- Colles' fracture-operative treatment, indications and results.Acta Orthop Scand. 1968; 39: 33
- Complications of distal radius fractures: pins and plaster treatment.J Hand Surg. 1982; 7: 509
- Pins and plaster treatment of comminuted fractures of the distal end of the radius.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1975; 57A: 304
- Severely comminuted distal radial fracture as an unsolved problem: complications associated with external fixation and pins and plaster techniques.J Hand Surg [Am]. 1986; 11A: 157
- Colles' fractures — functional bracing in supination.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1975; 57A: 311
- Functional bracing of Colles' fractures: a prospective study of immobilisation in supination vs. pronation.Clin Orthop. 1980; 146: 175
- Early results after Colles' fracture: functional bracing in supination vs. dorsal plaster immobilization.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 1984; 103: 251
- Bracing or plaster for Colles' fractures?: a randomised prospective controlled trial.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1983; 65B: 221
- A prospective randomised trial of functional bracing in Colles' fractures.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1984; 66B: 776
- On immediate functional bracing of Colles' fracture.Injury. 1991; 22: 197
- Intracast pressure measurements in Colles' fractures.Injury. 1991; 22: 446
- Evaluation of healed Colles' fractures.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1951; 33A: 895
- Fractures of the distal end of the radius: a clinical and statistical study of end results.Acta Orthop Scand. 1959;
- Fracture of the distal radius including sequelae-shoulder hand syndrome, disturbance in the distal radio-ulnar joint and impairment of nerve function.Acta Orthop Scand. 1967;
- Functional cast-bracing for Colles' fractures—a comparison between cast-bracing and conventional plaster casts.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1984; 66B: 749
- Functional treatment of Colles' fracture.Acta Orthop Scand. 1987; 58
- The integration of modern and traditional Chinese medicine in the treatment of fractures—IV. Treatment of Colles' fractures.Chin Med J. 1964; 83: 425
- Brace treatment of Colles' fracture.Acta Orthop Scand. 1989; 60: 63
- Chinese external fixation treatment for fracture of the distal end of the radius.J Hand Surg [Am]. 1989; 14A: 1028
- The Closed Treatment of Common Fractures. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh1961: 133 3rd Ed.
- Fractures of the distal radius — intermediate and end results in relation to radiologic parameters.Clin Orthop. 1987; 220: 241
- Colles' fracture: does the anatomical result affect the final function.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1988; 70B: 649
Accepted: June 5, 1995
© 1995 Published by Elsevier Inc.