This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Cardiac troponin T (cTnT), a new marker of myocardial tissue damage, was investigated in 32 consecutive multiply injured patients. cTnT, creatine kinase (CK) and CK isoenzyme MB (CK-MB) mass concentrations were measured immediately after admission, 12 and 24 h later and daily thereafter for 4 days. We found a moderate increase in cTnT in 22 patients (72 per cent; peaks; 0.6–5.1μg/l). In only four of these 22 patients did the CK-MB mass/CK index indicate myocardial injury. ST-T alterations and arrhythmias did not occur significantly more frequently in patients with increased cTnT plasma concentrations or positive CK-MB mass/CK index. We found a moderate increase in cTnT in 72 per cent of all patients with multiple injuries, but we found no association between an increase in cTnT and the occurence of electrocardiographic changes and arrhythmias.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Development and in vitro characterisation of a new immunoassay of cardiac troponin T.Clin Chem. 1992; 38: 386
- Diagnostic efficiency of troponin T measurements in acute myocardial infarction.Circulation. 1991; 83: 902
- Non invasive assessment of perioperative myocardial cell damage by circulating cardiac troponin T.Br Heart J. 1991; 65: 259
- Cardiac troponin T in diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction.Clin Chem. 1991; 37: 845
- Injury severity scales: overview and directions for future research.Am J Emerg Med. 1984; 2: 537
- Laboratory Diagnosis of Acute Myocardial Infarction. GIT, Darmstadt1988: 17 2nd Ed.
- Blunt cardiac trauma: clinical manifestation and management.Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1992; 4: 195
- Troponin T in the diagnosis of myocardial infarction in bypass surgery.Lancet. 1991; 337: 434
- Traumatic heart disease.in: Braunwald E Heart Disease. W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia1988: 1535
- Significance of myocardial contusion following blunt chest trauma.J Trauma. 1992; 33: 240
- The prognostic value of serum troponin T in unstable angina.New Engl J Med. 1992; 327: 146
- S-troponin T in suspected ischemic myocardial injury compared with mass and catalytic concentrations of S- creatine kinase isoenzyme MB.Clin Chem. 1991; 37: 1405
- Cardiac troponin T in developing, regenerating and denerved rat skeletal muscle.Development. 1990; 110: 547
- Increased creatine kinase MB in the absence of acute myocardial infarction.Clin Chem. 1986; 32: 2044
- A prospective evaluation of myocardial contusion: correlation of significant arrhythmias and cardiac output with CPK-MB measurements.J Trauma. 1991; 31: 653
- Myocardial contusion: when can the diagnosis be eliminated?.Arch Surg. 1989; 124: 805
Accepted: April 4, 1995
© 1995 Published by Elsevier Inc.