This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A fracture of the shaft of the femur in adults is common after road traffic accidents. Until recently it was not known that a fracture of the femoral neck can occur while fixing the femoral shaft fracture with an intramedullary nail. We report three patients in whom femoral neck fractures occurred during femoral nailing. Fractures of the femoral neck were detected by routine postoperative radiographs of the hip joint. All the three patients were treated non-operatively and the fractures healed without complication. The cause of the femoral neck fracture seems to be forceful use of an awl in the wrong direction or multiple entry points in the trochanteric region which weaken the femoral neck; subsequent hammering of the nail completes the fracture.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Femoral neck fracture during closed intramedullary nailing.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1988; 70B: 670
- Intramedullary locking nails in the management of femoral shaft fractures.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1988; 70B: 206
- L'apport due verrouillage dans l'enclouage centro-medullaire des os longs.Rev Chir Orthop. 1978; 64: 635
- Practice of Intramedullary Nailing.(Translated by Rinne HH)in: Charles C Thomas, Springfield, IL1967
- Closed intramedullary nailing of femoral fractures: a report of five hundred and twenty cases.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1984; 66A: 529
- Intramedullary nailing technique for closed fractures of the femur.in: 3rd Edn. Manual of Internal Fixation, Abridged AO-Manual. Springer-Verlag, 1992: 322-331
Accepted: March 17, 1995
© 1995 Published by Elsevier Inc.