This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
We retrospectively reviewed 32 elderly patients (mean age 71.7 years, range 66–83 years) with displaced tibial plateau fractures after a mean of 3.7 years (range 1–7 years) after operative treatment. Schatzker type 2 fracture was the commonest pattern of fracture (60.3 per cent). According to the modified Rasmussen clinical and radiographic criteria, there were nine excellent, 14 good, five fair and four poor results clinically, and 11 excellent, 12 good, six fair and three poor results radiographically. There was no significant correlation between the final radiographic appearance and clinical outcome. Fourteen patients mobilized postoperatively on a continuous passive motion machine followed by a cast brace had a better result than those mobilized in a cast brace alone, but the difference was not statistically significant (P = 0.29). Postoperative complications included deep vein thrombosis in two patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Fractures of the lateral tibial condyle treated by skeletal traction and early mobilization: a review of sixty five cases with special reference to the long-term results.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1956; 38B: 699
- Fractures of the tibial plateau.Orthop Clinics North Am. 1979; 10: 61
- Closed reduction of tibial plateau fractures: a comparison of functional and roentgen-ographic end results.Clin Orthop Rel Res. 1988; 230: 116
- Cast brace treatment of proximal tibia fractures: a ten year follow-up study.Clin Orthop Rel Res. 1988; 231: 196
- Factors influencing the results of open reduction and internal fixation of tibial plateau fractures.Clin Orthop Rel Res. 1990; 259: 210
- Internal versus external fixation of bicondylar tibial plateau fractures.Orthop Rev. 1992; 21: 1433
- Tibial plateau fractures: standardized evaluation of operative results.Orthopaedics. 1991; 14: 263
- Tibial plateau fractures: management and expected results.Clin Orthop Rel Res. 1993; 292: 87
- The tibial plateau fractures: the Toronto experience 1968–1975.Clin Orthop Rel Res. 1979; 138: 94
- Tibial plateau fractures.in: 3rd Edn. Skeletal Trauma: Fractures, Dislocations, Ligamentous Injuries. Vol. 2. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1992: 1745
- Tibial plateau fractures (editorial).Clin Orthop Rel Res. 1979; 138: 12
- Tibial condylar fractures: impairment of knee joint stability as an indication for surgical treatment.J Bone Joint Surg [Am]. 1973; 55A: 1331
- Diagnosis of Bone and Joint Disorders. Saunders, Philadelphia1981: 1276 3rd Edn.
- Fractures of the tibial plateau in Nottingham.Injury. 1988; 19: 324
- Ligament injuries associated with tibial plateau fractures.Clin Orthop Rel Res. 1990; 250: 226
- Tibial plateau fractures.Orthopaedics. 1988; 11: 1527
- Indications for surgical treatment of tibial condyle fractures.Clin Orthop Rel Res. 1994; 302: 199
- Classification of fractures of the tibial condyles.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1992; 74B: 840
- The use of cast bracing as treatment for fractures of the tibial plateau.J Bone Joint Surg [Br]. 1982; 63B: 575
- Early weight bearing of lateral tibial plateau fractures.Clin Orthop Rel Res. 1993; 294: 232
Accepted: February 13, 1995
© 1995 Published by Elsevier Inc.