This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Replantation is the treatment of choice in scalping injuries and should always be considered, even in case of a badly damaged scalp. Specific procedures regarding pre-, intra- and postoperative care are crucial to success in replantation. These include: haemodynamic stabilization of the patient without causing damage to possible donor vessels; cooling, cleaning and further proper care of the avulsed specimen; use of antibiotics and haemodilution to optimize the intra- and post-operative situation. The above is illustrated by a case history of successful replantation of a seriously damaged avulsed scalp.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Scalp replantation by microsurgical revascularisation.Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 1978; 61: 774
- Successful replantation of two avulsed scalps by microvascular anastomoses.Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 1978; 61: 666
- Injuries causing major loss of scalp.Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 1985; 76: 189
- Microsurgical replantation of a total scalp avulsion.Scand. J. Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 1986; 20: 319
- Avulsion of the scalp treated by microvascular repair: the use of leeches for post operative decongestion.Br. J. Plast. Surg. 1983; 36: 235
- Replantation of an entire scalp and ear by microvascular anastomoses of only 1 artery and 1 vein.Br. J. Plast. Surg. 1978; 31: 339
- Microsurgical replantation of the scalp.J. Trauma. 1985; 25: 987
- Successful replantation of an avulsed scalp by microvascular anastomosis.Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 1976; 58: 133
- Successful replantation of totally avulsed scalp, with profuse regrowth of hair.Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 1978; 62: 447
- Microsurgical reimplantation of avulsed scalp.Ann. Plast. Surg. 1981; 7: 312
Accepted: April 7, 1994
© 1994 Published by Elsevier Inc.