This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
This retrospective study at King Fahd University Hospital was undertaken to assess the hospital-based incidence and the complication rate among young Saudi nationals with a fracture of the femur.
Hospital records of 17 patients between 17 and 45 years of age (mean 27.4 years) with a fracture of the neck of the femur were studied for the period 1982 to 1988. Factors such as type and severity of injury, associated injuries, delay in internal fixation and the type of implant used, were analysed.
Fracture of the neck of the femur in young adults was 28 per cent () of these fractures in all age groups during the study period. There were no complications encountered, such as avascular necrosis or late segmental collapse.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Femoral neck fractures in young adults.Clin. Orthop. Rel. Res. 1976; 114: 259
- Subcapital fractures of the femur: A prospective review.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1976; 58B: 2
- Intracapsular fractures.in: mini-symposium: fractured neck of femur. Curr. Orthop.4. 1990: 177
- Treatise on dislocations and on Fractures of the Joints. 1824; (4th Ed. London): 109
- Complications of femoral neck fractures in young adults.J. Trauma. 1986; 26: 932
- The young patient with a fractured neck of femur.Br Med. J. (Clin Res). 1985; 290: 1928
- Femoral neck fractures in young adults.Injury. 1982; 14: 146
- Incidence of fractures in persons over 35 years of age. A report of the M.R.C. working party on fractures in the elderly.Br. J. Prev. Soc. Med. 1964; 18: 130
- Is hospital planning adequate? Statistical survey on femoral neck fractures.Lakartidningen. 1962; 59: 3185
- Treatment of femoral neck fractures with a cancellous screw and fibular graft.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1986; 68B: 387
- Treatment of fracture neck of femur.1990 (Personal communication)
- Femoral neck fractures in young adults: A disaster.in: Read at the fifteenth annual symposium on the Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons, El Paso, Texas, 5–7 November1973
- Femoral-neck fractures in young adults.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1976; 58A: 689
- Fractures of the femoral neck in patients between the ages of twelve and forty-nine years.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1984; 66A: 837
- Femoral neck fractures in skeletally mature patients, fifty years old or less.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1985; 67A: 1255
- Femoral neck fractures in young adults.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1982; 53: 427
Accepted: September 24, 1991
© 1992 Published by Elsevier Inc.