This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Forty-three children with displaced transcervical femoral fractures were reviewed at a mean follow-up of 7.2 years and results were assessed using Ratliff's criteria. Of 22 patients treated by internal fixation alone, 10 had good, 6 had fair and 6 had poor results. The results in 21 children treated by internal fixation along with primary transverse intertrochanteric undisplaced osteotomy were: 14 good, 5 fair and 2 poor, but none improved to a statistically significant level (P = 0.139). However, the osteotomy improved the fracture union significantly and no delayed union or non-union was noted in this group (P = 0.05). There were no complications related to the osteotomy itself.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Defunctioning osteotomy for fracture of the femoral neck in children.in: Proceedings of the Orthopaedic section of the Assocation of Surgeons of India. J. Bone Joint Surg.48B. 1966: 198
- Fractures of the proximal femur.in: Weber B.G. Brunner C. Feuler F. Fractures in Children and Adolescents. Springer, Berlin1980
- Fracture of the neck and intertrochanteric region of the femur in children.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1977; 59A: 431
- Fracture of the neck of the femur in childhood and adolescence.Injury. 1976; 7: 111
- Fractures of the neck of the femur in childhood. A report of six cases.Ann. Surg. 1928; 88: 902
- Fractures of the hip in children.in: Proceedings of Associations of Surgeons of East Africa. J. Bone Joint Surg.58B. 1976: 776
- Fractures of the hip in children: A review of forty cases.Clin. Orthop. 1980; 149: 177
- Fractures of the hip in children.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1953; 35A: 867
- Fractures of the femoral neck in children and its complications.Clin. Orthop. 1971; 80: 53
- Fractures of the neck of the femur in children.in: Proceedings of Indian Orthopaedic Association. J. Bone Joint Surg.56B. 1974: 776
- Fractures of the neck of the femur in children.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1971; 53A: 1165
- Long-term follow-up of children with femoral neck fractures.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1986; 68B: 537
- Fracture of the neck of the femur in childhood.J. Bone and Joint Surg. 1961; 43B: 16
- Hip Fractures in children.Clin. Orthop. 1980; 152: 202
- Fracture of the neck of the femur in childhood.Injury. 1980; 11: 242
- Fractures of the neck of the femur in children.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1962; 44B: 528
- Fractures of the femur in children.Orthop. Clin. North Am. 1974; 5: 903
- Fractures of the neck of the femur in children.in: Proceedings of the Ninth Open Scientific Meeting of the Hip Society. 1981: 188
- Fracture of the femoral neck in children.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1972; 45: 564
- Variations in intra-articular pressure of hip joint in injury and disease. A probable factor in avascular necrosis.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1964; 46A: 509
- Further observation on depression of the neck of femur in early life, including fracture of the neck of femur, separation of the epiphysis and simple coxa vara.Ann. Surg. 1900; 31: 145
- Fractures of the neck of the femur in childhood.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1940; 22: 531
Accepted: January 27, 1992
© 1992 Published by Elsevier Inc.