This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Two cases of streptococcal gangrene are reported. Both patients, with hip pain and no obvious source of infection, presented to the same orthopaedic team within a few days. After initial treatment with NSAIDs the outcome was fatal in the cases described. A review of the literature revealed that the administration of NSAIDs may accelerate the course of the disease. The authors conclude that this very rare cause of arthralgia and malaise should be excluded before the administration of NSAIDs for such complaints.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Streptococcal necrotising fasciitis; comparison between histological and clinical features.J. Clin. Pathol. 1987; 40: 335
- Haemolytic streptococcal gangrene and non-steroidal antiinflammatory drugs.Br. Med. J. 1985; 290: 1786
- Acute streptococcal necrotising fasciitis.N. Z. Med. J. 1988; 101: 625
- Bacteriology of necrotizing fasciitis.Am. J. Surg. 1977; 134: 52
- Necrotising fasciitis after diflunisal for minor injury.Lancet. 1985; 2: 1432
- Inhibition of granulocyte adherence by ethanol, prednisone and aspirin measured with an assay system.N. Engl. J. Med. 1974; 291: 642
- Haemolytic streptococcus gangrene.Arch. Surg. 1924; 9: 317
- Fulminant necrotising fasciitis and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.J. Infect. Dis. 1987; 155: 143
- Influence of phenylbutazone on leucocyte chemiluminescence and function.Acta Pathol. Microbiol. Immunol. Scand. 1978; 86: 165
- Activation of latent infection by indomethacin: a report of three cases.Br. Med. J. 1966; 1: 961
- A fatal case of necrotizing fasciitis of the eyelid.Br. J. Opthalmol. 1985; 72: 428
Accepted: July 9, 1991
© 1992 Published by Elsevier Inc.