This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
We report our initial experience in Nottingham of use of the AO Dynamic Condylar Screw (DCS) implant system for internal fixation of fractures of the proximal and distal femur. The implant has been used in 24 cases over a 2-year period, and with an average follow-up of 1 year the results have been as favourable as those in reports of other comparable implants, but there have been a number of technical difficulties, particularly with the fixation of osteoporotic distal femoral fractures. The DCS can be used in all situations where the 95 ° blade plate has previously been used and technically it is easier to insert correctly. We conclude that whilst the DCS may replace the corresponding blade plates in the orthopaedic surgeon's armamentarium, it does not solve the problems of fixation of osteoporotic fractures. The indications for and difficulties of such internal fixations are discussed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- DCS—Dynamic Condylar Screw. (Implant manual). Synthes, Switzerland1985
- Die Fixierung der Trochanterbruche mit runden elastichen Kondylennageln.Acta Chir. Austriaca. 1970; 1: 40
- Planning in fracture surgery.in: Bunker T.D. Colton C.L. Webb J.K. Frontiers in Fracture Management. Dunitz, London1989
- Closed locked intramedullary nailing.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1985; 67A: 709
- Manual of Internal Fixation. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York1979 2nd Ed.
- Supracondylar fracture of the adult femur.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1967; 49A: 591
- Supracondylar fractures of the femur.Clin. Orthop. 1979; 138: 77
- The Toronto experience with the supracondylar fracture of the femur 1966–1972.Injury. 1974; 6: 113
- Supracondylar fractures of the femur.in: Schatzker J. Tile M. The Rationale of Operative Fracture Care. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York1987
- Subtrochanteric fractures of the femur.Orthop. Clin. North Am. 1980; 11: 539
- Fractures of the distal third of the femur: a comparison of methods of treatment.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1966; 48A: 784
- Die operative behandlung der distalen gemurfraktur.in: A. O. Bulletin. AO, Davos1970
- An intramedullary fixation device for the proximal part of the femur.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1976; 58A: 866
Accepted: May 1, 1991
© 1992 Published by Elsevier Inc.