This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
We report a series of 20 children with 24 fractures that were treated using the AO tubular external fixator in a paediatric orthopaedic unit. There were no major complications related to fixator use. There were two cases of superficial pin track sepsis and one case of non-union. There were no cases of refracture after fixator removal or of leg length inequality.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Use of the AO/ASIF external fixator in children.J. Pediatr. Orthop. 1987; 7: 594
- Prevention of infection in the treatment of one thousand and twenty five open fractures of long bones. Retrospective and prospective analyses.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1976; 58A: 453
- Skeletal fixation of fractures.Am. J. Surg. 1943; LIX: 25
- Complex femur fractures in children: treatment with external fixation.J. Pediatr. Orthop. 1990; 10: 588
- Die Anwendung eines unilateralen Fixateur externe bei der Kindlichen Femurschaftfraktur im Rahmen des Polytraumas.Unfallchirurg. 1989; 92: 282
- External fixation in child traumatology.Child Traumatol. 1984; 7: 463
- The use of external fixation devices in the management of severe lower-extremity trauma and pelvic injuries in children.Clin. Orthop. 1984; 188: 21
- Internal and external fixation of fractures in children.Orthop. Clin. North Am. 1980; 11: 405
- External skeletal fixation in children's fractures.J. Pediatr. Orthop. 1983; 3: 435
- External fixation in multiply injured children.Orthop. Clin. North Am. 1990; 21: 393
Accepted: April 24, 1991
© 1992 Published by Elsevier Inc.